Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery, Shut Down, Won't Load Windows. (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for another response, though it says "No Recovery Partition could be found."  Unfortunately this means that you can do nothing without Windows or another OS media and for the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello everyone,

To make a very long story short, I'm stuck in the Advanced System Startup, and I don't know how to get to my sign in screen or Windows.

Yesterday I tried a full system recovery, in order to clean up my lap top a bit. It was taking very long compared to the last time I did one. Over 2 hours of a black screen with a loading icon after saying 99% done with updates or something along that line. So I figured I would restart it and see if I could continue doing what I was doing before, and try another recovery when I went to sleep.

The first time I reset it, it said something along the line of "Undoing Updates" then went back to the black screen with a loading icon. I figured that it was going to attempt the recovery again. So I shut it down and took out it's battery and restarted it. I looked online (with another laptop) and came to the conclusion (in my head) that doing a advanced settings boot by pressing f11 would let me bypass this screen. It did, but this is where my problems really began.  

Ever since I have been on a blue screen with 5 options, headlining "Choose an option" The options are 'continue: exit and continue to Windows Recovery Environment' , Troubleshoot , Use a device , Turn off your PC , and Use another operating system.

I've clicked on Troubleshoot to try and Reset my PC, tried both keep my files and remove them all. Neither work, and I just keep getting an error saying "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

I've also tried in the Troubleshoot tab to go to 'Advanced settings' and do a System Restore, which gives me another error stating " No restore points have been created on your computers system drive. To create a restore point open "system.protection." Which I've tried but I get ANOTHER error saying "System protection is available only in online operation system." 

Next I tried Startup Repair, which doesn't work as well. After reboot it says it's attempting repairs, then "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."

Which leads me back to "Choose an option." The last option I've tried is Startup Settings, again no luck.

My laptops a Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7304 if that helps! Please help me out if you come across this thread. Also I was running Windows 10.

Edited by EddieNeedsHalp, 20 September 2016 - 12:32 AM.

Advertisements

MrHarambe

MrHarambe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Eddie, apologies for the inconvenience. This doesn't sound good at all!

If you've ran Startup Repair and that failed, this (along with other things you mentioned) has me thinking that you have a corruption in your Boot Manager.

If Startup Repair doesn't work, the only other option is to re-format the machine but you'll lose all of your data.

In the future, I'd recommend backing up your data with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect Free) or a snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx Home)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    EddieNeedsHalp,

It does appear that Windows has become corrupted and possibly by restarting the computer while an update was being installed.

Steps for you to do;

1: If there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and recover post back to let us know and we will provide the info you need to try and do so, if no important data is on the HDD, go to steps 2 and 3 below;

2: Download a Windows 10 ISO, see Brink guide here

3: Try a start up repair but this time booting from your Windows 10 media, see option 5 here again provided courtesy of Brink.

If you are not sure on anything please ask.

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Eddie, apologies for the inconvenience. This doesn't sound good at all!

If you've ran Startup Repair and that failed, this (along with other things you mentioned) has me thinking that you have a corruption in your Boot Manager.

If Startup Repair doesn't work, the only other option is to re-format the machine but you'll lose all of your data.

In the future, I'd recommend backing up your data with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect Free) or a snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx Home)

How would I go about Re-Formatting my PC?

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

:welcome:    EddieNeedsHalp,

It does appear that Windows has become corrupted and possibly by restarting the computer while an update was being installed.

Steps for you to do;

1: If there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and recover post back to let us know and we will provide the info you need to try and do so, if no important data is on the HDD, go to steps 2 and 3 below;

2: Download a Windows 10 ISO, see Brink guide here

3: Try a start up repair but this time booting from your Windows 10 media, see option 5 here again provided courtesy of Brink.

If you are not sure on anything please ask.

Thank you for the response, unfortunately this is my moms computer so I can't download anything on here. Do you also by chance know how to re-format a PC? If that doesn't work would my next best option be to take it in?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
unfortunately this is my moms computer so I can't download anything on here.

Can I ask why not, it doesn`t involve much internet use or hardware and downloading an ISO from Microsoft can save you a fair bit of cash.

Do you also by chance know how to re-format a PC? 

Indeed we do but you cannot format a HDD without either Windows media or a drive wiping software like DBAN, do you have Windows media and depending on the version of Windows the appropriate Microsoft product key, one will be required for any OS that precedes Windows 8.1.

As an asides EddieNeedsHalp, suggesting that folk format their HDD is always a last resort and we never suggest it until all other options have been tried or it is blindingly obvious that it is required, that is not the case here so suggesting that you format the HDD was premature on the part of MrHarambe  :( one other option that you may still have for example is checking for a recovery partition on the HDD, one reason why I asked if there was data on the HDD that you would like to try and recover was that if there is a working recovery partition and you were to use it the computer would be restored to out of the box new with the loss of all of your personal data.

To see if you have a recovery partition, restart the notebook while continually tapping the 0 (zero) key, let us know if you find a recovery partition before you actually use it.

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Can I ask why not, it doesn`t involve much internet use or hardware and downloading an ISO from Microsoft can save you a fair bit of cash.

Indeed we do but you cannot format a HDD without either Windows media or a drive wiping software like DBAN, do you have Windows media and depending on the version of Windows the appropriate Microsoft product key, one will be required for any OS that precedes Windows 8.1.

As an asides EddieNeedsHalp, suggesting that folk format their HDD is always a last resort and we never suggest it until all other options have been tried or it is blindingly obvious that it is required, that is not the case here so suggesting that you format the HDD was premature on the part of MrHarambe  :( one other option that you may still have for example is checking for a recovery partition on the HDD, one reason why I asked if there was data on the HDD that you would like to try and recover was that if there is a working recovery partition and you were to use it the computer would be restored to out of the box new with the loss of all of your personal data.

To see if you have a recovery partition, restart the notebook while continually tapping the 0 (zero) key, let us know if you find a recovery partition before you actually use it.

Thanks for another response, though it says "No Recovery Partition could be found."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for another response, though it says "No Recovery Partition could be found."

Unfortunately this means that you can do nothing without Windows or another OS media and for the reasons explained in my reply #6;

Your only other option is to use a free OS such as Linux but this again would need to be downloaded.

You are welcome btw  :)

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Unfortunately this means that you can do nothing without Windows or another OS media and for the reasons explained in my reply #6;

Your only other option is to use a free OS such as Linux but this again would need to be downloaded.

You are welcome btw  :)

So if I were to download the windows 10 ISO, and then try an start up repair using the windows 10 media, would my problem theoretically be solved?

Again thanks for another reply.

One last thing, in order to get the windows 10 ISO from this Toshiba laptop to my own, would I need to use a USB? Then connect it to my own? Not sure how this works.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The present install may be beyond repair but you would be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 with the ISO as you have already previously been running Windows 10.

Everything you need to know about creating and using the ISO can be found at the tutorials that I previously provided links to here and here just be sure that you select the Create installation media for another PC option, this will allow you to create a bootable USB thumb drive.

One last thing, in order to get the windows 10 ISO from this Toshiba laptop to my own, would I need to use a USB? Then connect it to my own? Not sure how this works.

Rather confused by the above as you said in your OP "My laptops a Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7304 if that helps!"

Are both computers Toshiba. 

Advertisements

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

The present install may be beyond repair but you would be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 with the ISO as you have already previously been running Windows 10.

Everything you need to know about creating and using the ISO can be found at the tutorials that I previously provided links to here and here just be sure that you select the Create installation media for another PC option, this will allow you to create a bootable USB thumb drive.

Rather confused by the above as you said in your OP "My laptops a Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7304 if that helps!"

Are both computers Toshiba. 

Yes, my laptops just a newer version of my moms Toshiba Satellite. We both have Toshiba Satellites, sorry I didn't elaborate! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thought so but always best to check   :thumbsup:

Create the ISO on the working Toshiba and be sure to change the boot sequence in the BIOS on the non working Toshiba to USB device first before restarting with the USB device plugged in.

Please note that if your computer has UEFI BIOS it may not boot from the USB device, post back and let us know if it doesn`t boot from the thumb drive and I will provide some further instructions for you.

NB: No need to quote every reply btw, it is not necessary  ;)

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

My Toshiba- In Troubleshoot, Advanced settings tab, it does show UEFI Firmware. Does this mean that I won't be able to use a USB Thumb-drive to install the Windows ISO from my moms computer to mine?

If not is there any way to check if my computer has a UEFI BIOS?

Edit: I'll give it a try regardless and post back soon.

Edited by EddieNeedsHalp, 21 September 2016 - 04:31 PM.

EddieNeedsHalp

EddieNeedsHalp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thought so but always best to check   :thumbsup:

Create the ISO on the working Toshiba and be sure to change the boot sequence in the BIOS on the non working Toshiba to USB device first before restarting with the USB device plugged in.

Please note that if your computer has UEFI BIOS it may not boot from the USB device, post back and let us know if it doesn`t boot from the thumb drive and I will provide some further instructions for you.

NB: No need to quote every reply btw, it is not necessary  ;)

WOW IT WORKED. THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT'S NOT WINDOWS OS, BUT WHO GIVES A [bleep]. You were very helpful and saved me over 150 bucks!!!! GOD [bleep] THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE!!!!! 

Edit: To be clear we didn't use windows OS, we used Ubuntu I believe it's named. Either way, I can use my computer again, no need for windows, but your replies help me A TON. I won't forget the help you gave me on this site.

Edited by EddieNeedsHalp, 21 September 2016 - 08:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No matter the OS, if you are happy, we are happy and thank you for letting us know that the issue was resolved  :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy Ubuntu, if not you still have the option to reinstall Windows 10 and you now have the info and the knowledge to be able to do so, well done  :thumbsup: