Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to re-install or delete Spotify

• Please log in to reply

tjackson39

tjackson39

• Pip
  • 1 posts

My computer got wiped out recently and I had to have Windows 10 reinstalled (took it to a local company to get fixed).  I had no issue reinstalling other programs, but I could not reinstall Spotify.  Keep getting this error: Spotify could not be started-Error code 17.  I see it listed in my program list in CCleaner, but also cannot uninstall it.  I've tried regular and administrator modes and nothing works.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello tjackson39,

Spotify is a great program, but can be a right pain when something goes wrong! :(

Can you please try the following steps which I found on a Spotify Community page in answer to a question by somebody else.

1. Open your taskmanager (on Windows you can do so by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL), and close Spotify.exe, SpotifyCrashService, and SpotifyWebHelper.exe.
  2. Try to remove the files once again, does it work now?
  3. After you've removed all files, please reboot your PC to make sure it all gone now. 
  4. Open taskmanager once again, does it still show Spotify processes?

If you don't know how to open task manager in Windows 10, see here.

I hope this helps,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 23 September 2016 - 04:45 AM.