- Go to the Control Panel and double-click on Display.
- If not already selected, go to the Desktop tab.
- Click Customize Desktop... and then go to Web tab.
- Click on the Security or similar entry and click Delete to remove the entry.
WARNING! YOU'RE IN DANGER [RESOLVED]
Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:34 PM
Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:12 PM
Now my desktop has regained its normal status. Thank u for ur support. I appreciate your swift response.
Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:21 PM
There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:
1. Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove bad files from the backup that Windows makes as no program is able to clean those files:
TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1. Right-click "My Computer", and then left click "Properties".
2. Left click on "System Restore Tab"
3. Check box beside "Turn Off System Restore"
4. Left click on "Apply"
TO ENABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1.Remove check mark from "Turn Off System Restore"
2.Click on "Apply"
2. Cleanup the leftovers. Download CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
3. Finally, Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.
I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)
Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:19 PM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users