Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Argh! Audio question.

• Please log in to reply

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
My speakers are buzzing... And when I move a WINDOW ON MY COMPUTER around it buzzes more. lol.

When I move my mouse, it buzzes.

My monitor is conflicting with my speakers!

I'm using:

Logitech X530 Speakers
Realtech AC'97 Audio card/drivers
MSI Sound Effects Manager (Came with my motherboard, can't seem to be able to uninstall it >.<)

Anyone have any ideas what I could try?

Thanks.

Advertisements

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sounds like crosstalk from the motherboard. Simply means some sort of interference is bleeding into your soundcard or you just have a bad cable... But if you crank your speakers up and start doing anything on the computer and you hear the "noise jump around a bit" its most likely crosstalk. But make sure your mouse cable is not touching or effecting any of the cables plugged into the soundcard or speakers.

Things that can cause crosstalk:

Splitters - Using any sort of splitter on the audio in/outs (i.e., using a mini-jack "Y" so you can have headphones and your reg stereo spks plugged into it at the same time) for an extended time.

Seems like a good idea but your sound card is meant to work a certain ohms. Let’s say its meant to run at 8ohms while it can run at 16 it can't run at 4. When you use that Y cable you will divide the load across both the spks and the headphones. Let’s say they both create an 8ohm load. You would then cut the load down to 4 if both were plugged in at the same time. While it could run at 4 for some time... It won’t last forever. After an even longer while you would notice high pitched tones from time to time (power bleeding in) after that the card is done. This is what I have seen cause this issue the most.

Overclocking - Mainly on the PCI bus... but overclocking other parts of the mobo can do it as well.

Dirty Power Supply - When I say dirty I mean its not filtering power very well. I could write a 5 page post on the topic but if you are only having audio issues this is not really likely.

Power spike/Brown out - less likely but still possible

Static discharge - even less likely but possible. Where you inside the case playing?

Volume up/down - Just to make sure you did not do something dumb. Check to make sure your levels are all up (or around 3/4) having your main volume cranked and your wave volume at 3% while trying to listen to an MP3 would do that as well. (all cards make noises when they are maxed)

To sum it up. I would check all the cables maybe looking into replacing them. If that does not fix it. Buy a new card. Thous realtech's are crap (the audio in is really bad). Even an older SB 5.1 on ebay would be a huge upgrade over the realtechs.

-Ryan