Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Connection Drops when at around full speed

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

So my connection keeps constantly dropping when I'm doing anything more taxing than just browsing forums, ie watching youtube or downloading. I keep resetting the router and it keeps dropping and the back-and-forth goes on until it resets completely to where I have to go to the ISP page and reboot the router.

When the connection drops, all the lights on the router stay on. The DSL, the PPP and the ethernet which just starts blinking every second.

The weird thing is at times the connection wont drop at all, even if I'm utilizing the full speed of my internet, which is 10Mbps. The time between drops varies. Sometimes it takes a minute, sometimes as soon as I attempt to reload a page with a video or stream it immediately drops.
I tried winsock, ip release/renew and probably a bunch of other stuff, like checking on the resource monitor (the only two processes I didn't recognize were DasHost.exe and rdpc2.exe)

Here's the last part of my September logs, the last two days

Could it be a faulty router?

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

What you need to eliminate is your computer or Windows OS not causing the issue. Boot your computer with KNOPPIX which is a bootable Live system on CD, DVD or USB flash drives and see issue resolves with connecting to internet with KNOPPIX if it does then we will know network problem is cause by Windows OS. If issue persist with KNOPPIX then there is a issue with network card you are using to connect to internet it probably malfunctioning and needs to be replace.