Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free baked goods in exchange for help! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK, I will follow these steps when I get home. One question first, though:

When Norton first told me about the two problem files, their website suggested that if NAV couldn't repair, I should delete them. (Which I now know you don't want me to do.) When I tried (before I knew better), it wouldn't let me delete because it said wininet.dll was in use. It wouldn't let me rename, either.

Have we done something now that it will let me rename?

It'll be tonight before I can try again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help. You never did say what kind of cookies you want - I was dead serious about that offer in my original post, and I'm a great baker...

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

When I tried (before I knew better), it wouldn't let me delete because it said wininet.dll was in use. It wouldn't let me rename, either.

I actually never had a problem with that before, lets see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help. You never did say what kind of cookies you want - I was dead serious about that offer in my original post, and I'm a great baker...

I actually have an idea, wait until we are finished ;)

:tazz:

Excal

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Renaming and replacing wininet.dll worked without a hitch. Deleted wininet.old and oleadm.dll.

Norton AntiVirus has stopped whining, and Spybot S&D comes back clean...

Did we do it? What else should I run to be sure?

Thanks,
meghani

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
O my goodness, i was certain that you and I would run into some trouble.

only have one thing to say to you...............

Great job, it appears your computer is clean :tazz:

Ensure you rehide your “hidden files and folders” back to the way they were.

Now that your system is Malware Free, it is important to reset your system Restore. Click Here to learn how to.

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE

Spybot S&D

If you are unhappy with your current antivirus and want to replace it or if you dont already have one, I suggest one of these free programs:
*Note - do not use more than one anti-virus program as it will more than likely cause conflict.

AVG
Avast

The following free programs are great for prevention:

SpywareBlaster 3.4

Spywareguard

IE/Spyad

A Firewall is a must! Here are 3 good free versions:

Sygate

Kerio

ZoneLabs

There are other options other than Internet Explorer for a browser, which some say have better security. Two of them are:

Firefox

Opera

This site is a great source for tightening up security on Internet Explorer settings.

Make sure that you keep your Operating System and IE updated with the latest Critical Security Updates from Microsoft...they usually come out once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then as well, Make sure after you clean your Temp files to empty out your Recycle bin as well.
For ease use the following program:

Cleanup
Run "Cleanup" and when it has finished, Reboot

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Woo Hoo!

I have Norton Anti Virus, Spybot S&D, and AdAware. I just downloaded ZoneAlarm and will install it. Is that combination enough to keep me safe? Are there additional scans that I should run regularly?

Oddly, AdAware still shows the same entries now that it did when I first posted. However, Spybot S&D comes up clean. Should I be concerned?

Thanks again for all your help - I can't believe I didn't have to reformat!

Meghani

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Tell me exactly what adaware says please.

Excal

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It says:

CoolWebSearch(TAC index:10):18 total references
MRU List(TAC index:0):2 total references

Same as when I first started this process. No noticable symptoms, though.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I got time :tazz:, hope you do....lol

Go ahead and do this, and lets look at what adaware is finding.

Excal

Before posting your AdAware logfile, please do the following:
1: Run the WebUpdate feature. (Click on the Globe icon, Click connect, Click OK, Click Finish.)

2: Set up the Configurations (Gear wheel at the top) as follows:

General Button => Safety & Settings: Check (Green) all three.
Advanced Button => Logfile Detail Level: All options under this should be checked (Green).
Tweak Button
==> Scanning Options: Check "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
==> Log Files: Please check only:

* "Include basic Ad-Aware settings in logfile"
* "Include additional Ad-Aware settings in logfile"

Click on "Proceed"

3: Click on "Scan Now"

4: Please deselect "Search for negligible risk entries" as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat. (If MRU's are included in your logfile they may be removed. Advice will not be provided on MRU's as they are the user's choice.)

5: Run the scanner using the Full System Scan (Perform Full System Scan) mode. A full scan is the in-depth scan mode that scans your whole computer for Spyware infections. When performing a full scan the following scan settings are used:

* Full Memory Scan is performed
* Registry Scan is performed
* Deep Registry scan is performed
* Cookie-Scan is performed
* Favorites are scanned
* Hosts file is scanned
* Conditional scans are performed
* Archive files are scaned
* All fixed drives are scanned

6: When the scan has completed, click "Show Logfile". Copy/paste the complete log file in a thread of your own. Do not quarantine or remove anything at this time, just post a complete logfile. This sometimes takes 2-3 posts to get it all posted. You will know you are at the end when you see the "Summary of this scan" information has been posted.

Edited by Excal, 29 June 2005 - 08:49 PM.

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had chosen to fix when I ran it the first time (before you replied), and when I ran it again, all I got were MRU's. Once I set the settings as you described and rescanned, it comes back with the summary below:

Summary Of This Scan
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Total scanning time:00:09:06.125
Objects scanned:119481
Objects identified:0
Objects ignored:0
New critical objects:0

Of course, I haven't rebooted since the first scan/fix combination this evening, and I'm beginning to learn that things sneak back after a reboot.

What do you think - is CoolWebSearch one of those that temporarily disappears on rescan, but then comes back after you restart, or can I trust this clean scan?

Thanks again,
Meghani

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Go and and reboot if you want to scan again. The MRU;s are harmless.

It might be picking up some empty keys in the registry, not sure if you want to try a registry cleaner, but I have alink to a free one.

Tom

Advertisements

meghani

meghani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I rebooted and rescanned and it still comes up clean, after specifying that it ignore the MRU's.

Do you have any recommendations about configuring Zone Alarm? I have it running, but wasn't sure whether there were features that needed to be turned on, tweaked, etc.

Thanks SO MUCH for all your help - I never would have been able to do this without you!

meghani

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I dont really know zonealarms firewall too well, i use sygate. I am sure if you go to their web site, they can give u any tweaks to be made. Usually the default settings are good with any firewall.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.