Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eveything goes wrong after installing graphics card (Resolved).

windows video card monitor problems help

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Please let the other forums know as a courtesy, it is good forum etiquette   Will come to steps for you try below but need to post some info for you first. The CPU cooling fan spinni... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Computer specifications:

Processor - AMD A4-5300 + onboard graphics

Motherboard - EMAXX A55FM2HD-iCAFE

RAM: 2x2 gb DDR3

PSU: AnyPower, total output of 450w

HDD: 360gb HDD

-- 

So, it started when I attempted to add a dedicated graphics card into the CPU. The card is: MSI CYCLONE R4770 (I just watched some videos on how to add a graphics card to the computer)

I opened the computer, placed the card into its PCI-E slot, connected the power supply cable. and screwed it in place.

Note: I didn't install the drivers before installing the video card.

1. Now, i turned on the computer and had a tv connected through the motherboard via HDMI cable. It showed nothing, so i tried connecting the HDMI cable to the video card, also nothing.

2. So I got a smaller monitor, and connected the DCMI to the video card (I didn't bother trying connecting it to the motherboard first)

and then the APTIO Setup thingy popped up, I had no idea what this is so i just chose the default settings and saved it. It restarted, but to my confusion, it just goes back to the APTIO Setup in a loop. So what I tried under the "boot settings" if im not wrong, I enabled an option called the "Fail-Safe" mode. So after that it just restarted again, and then POOF. THE MONITOR CANNOT DETECT ANY SIGNAL FROM THE PC. IDK WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

What i'm thinking of now is I should've installed the drivers first, but then I had no disc, the video card was just a gift. So I was just planning to download it in the internet. At any rate, I don't know what to do now. Someone help me.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

:welcome:   Ivan Milan,

You cannot install drivers for an add on video card that is not in place so something else is amiss.

I suggest that you try starting afresh, shut down the computer and disconnect it from the wall socket, press the power on button to get rid of any charge left in the system, ground your self by touching a bare metal part of the case then remove the add on video card, connect the screen to the usual video port on the MB, reconnect the power, test and then post back with an update.

Never heard of that brand of PSU which is not a good sign, if you can, post a link to the PSU so that we can check the specs, the MSI Cyclone R4770 requires a 400W PSU that puts out 29V on the +12V rail, if the present PSU cannot do that the card will either not work at all or will work badly and overheat.

NB: When removing the add on video card, check that the RAM is seated securely and that nothing else has become loose or disconnected.

Edit by phillpower2;

You have post the same request for help on at least two other forums Ivan Milan,

We are always happy to help when we can but we cannot do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

:welcome:   Ivan Milan,

You cannot install drivers for an add on video card that is not in place so something else is amiss.

I suggest that you try starting afresh, shut down the computer and disconnect it from the wall socket, press the power on button to get rid of any charge left in the system, ground your self by touching a bare metal part of the case then remove the add on video card, connect the screen to the usual video port on the MB, reconnect the power, test and then post back with an update.

Never heard of that brand of PSU which is not a good sign, if you can, post a link to the PSU so that we can check the specs, the MSI Cyclone R4770 requires a 400W PSU that puts out 29V on the +12V rail, if the present PSU cannot do that the card will either not work at all or will work badly and overheat.

NB: When removing the add on video card, check that the RAM is seated securely and that nothing else has become loose or disconnected.

Did that now, no signs of loose parts. Yet, same results. Nothing is showing in the screen. I'm scared now.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

This is the picture of the PSU 14463712_10201955959538336_1025421905_n.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

So with the add on video completely card removed and the computer connected to the screen the way that it previously was you get no display whatsoever, any other signs of life such as fans spinning up.

That PSU is not only junk but it has a sticker on with the years 2007 and 2008 on it, I would not trust that power supply as a door stop, whatever the outcome you need a better quality brand PSU.

Did you read the edit in my reply #2

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

So with the add on video completely card removed and the computer connected to the screen the way that it previously was you get no display whatsoever, any other signs of life such as fans spinning up.

That PSU is not only junk but it has a sticker on with the years 2007 and 2008 on it, I would not trust that power supply as a door stop, whatever the outcome you need a better quality brand PSU.

Did you read the edit in my reply #2

Yes, the HSF for the processor is spinning. I think nothing is broken because I haven't seen any sparks or like burning from overheating or such. 
Also, I'm considering in upgrading this computer for sure, but I gotta wait 'til Christmas to get them cash. lol.

--

I just read your edit, yes I have posted in other forums because i'm really desperate. Still, this is the only one who replied. So I'm choosing this one over the others.

EDIT: The problem actually began when I enabled the "Fail-safe mode" in the APTIO setup. I tried searching for solutions in the internet, but I cannot find similar cases wherein it happened to other people. I just thought it wouldn't do any harm since it's "fail-safe mode". I stand corrected.  :no:

Edited by Ivan Milan, 25 September 2016 - 06:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

Please let the other forums know as a courtesy, it is good forum etiquette  :)

Will come to steps for you try below but need to post some info for you first.

The CPU cooling fan spinning only means that some power is getting through from the PSU and not that all is well with it, an explanation below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

I think nothing is broken because I haven't seen any sparks or like burning from overheating or such. 

You will not always hear electricity when it damages things + keep in mind that it could be not enough power coming from the PSU at all, it could also be unrelated to the PSU altogether.

For you to do after following the important safety steps first of course;

Shut down the computer and disconnect it from the wall socket, press the power on button to get rid of any charge left in the system, ground your self by touching a bare metal part of the case 

1: Found the specs for your MB here but do not see an onboard BIOS speaker so need to ask if the computer normally beeped when it booted into Windows.

2:: Confirm that you have completely removed the add on video card from the MB, you will not get a display from any video ports on the MB with the card still in place.

3: Remove the silver CMOS battery from the MB.

4: Remove both sticks of RAM from the MB.

5: Tell us what ports there are on the smaller monitor and what you mean by you connected the DCMI to the video card, never heard of a DCMI connection.

6: Post back with an update when the above has been done and please do nothing else first. 

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Okay, so I have stated in my other post in another forum that I'm getting help from you guys. Anyways...

I have disconnected the video card and tried it a while ago since you told me to. However, still not working. 

---

I'm done removing the battery and RAM. Also, I meant a VGA cord, not DCMI, i'm sorry i'm not good with the terms  :smashcomp:  -- There are no other ports in the small monitor, sadly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Okay, so I have stated in my other post in another forum that I'm getting help from you guys. Anyways...

Thank you  :thumbsup:

K, so it is important that we each understand what we are doing, to do that it would be helpful if you answered each question, if not sure on anything please ask.

1: Found the specs for your MB here but do not see an onboard BIOS speaker so need to ask if the computer normally beeped when it booted into Windows.

Can you also answer this.

I have disconnected the video card and tried it a while ago since you told me to. However, still not working. 

** You say disconnected but we need to know for sure that the add on video card has been removed from the MB altogether.

I'm done removing the battery and RAM. Also, I meant a VGA cord, not DCMI, i'm sorry i'm not good with the terms  

Acknowledged and no worries, we all have to start somewhere.

** We need to know that the video card has been removed from the MB altogether, if it is not the BIOS will detect its presence and automatically disable the MBs video ports.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Okay, sorry. Yes, I have completely removed the video card from the motherboard. And i don't think that the motherboard has an "onboard BIOS speaker" as I have never heard it beep from the several times I have used it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Meant to ask before but forgot :blush: can you let us know the brand and model name or number of the small screen you have.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Meant to ask before but forgot :blush: can you let us know the brand and model name or number of the small screen you have.

Brand: Philips Model#: 163V5L -- it's quite small and had been using it for about a year now. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Thanks, needed to check because of the APTIO Setup message that you mentioned in your OP.

To do now; follow the same safety steps;

1: Insert a single stick of RAM in the slot that is nearest to the CPU.

2: Replace the CMOS battery.

3: Connect the VGA cable from the MB to the Phillips screen ( only finger tighten the connections )

4: Connect/turn on the mains power.

5: Press the case power on button.

6: Let us know what if anything happens.

NB: If you have disconnected the keyboard that should also be reconnected before powering up.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks, needed to check because of the APTIO Setup message that you mentioned in your OP.

To do now; follow the same safety steps;

1: Insert a single stick of RAM in the slot that is nearest to the CPU.

2: Replace the CMOS battery.

3: Connect the VGA cable from the MB to the Phillips screen ( only finger tighten the connections )

4: Connect/turn on the mains power.

5: Press the case power on button.

6: Let us know what if anything happens.

NB: If you have disconnected the keyboard that should also be reconnected before powering up.

Sorry, but what if I don't have any replacement for the CMOS battery?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You are reusing the CMOS battery that you took out and no new one is required, unless it turns out to be flat which it shouldn`t be with a relatively recent MB.