Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eveything goes wrong after installing graphics card (Resolved).

windows video card monitor problems help

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Please let the other forums know as a courtesy, it is good forum etiquette   Will come to steps for you try below but need to post some info for you first. The CPU cooling fan spinni... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You are reusing the CMOS battery that you took out and no new one is required, unless it turns out to be flat which it shouldn`t be with a relatively recent MB.

Hello, sorry, this is embarrassing, but I have to sleep now and I'm not sure when i'll be able to do what you instructed me to do because there are times i'm busy with college work. Will this post still be alive or active even though i'm not sure when i will be able to reply?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

There is no time limit on threads so reply when you are able to, you have done right by letting us know there could be a delay between replies and I will not bother you by asking for an update unless we don`t hear back from you after a week or so.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

OKAY, SO I TRIED WHAT YOU TOLD ME, AND IT WORKED. HOWEVER, THERE WAS A MESSAGE SAYING "CMOS CHECKSUM BAD" -- I think there was another message beneath it but it was only shown for a quick time. 

Despite the message, the system still operated, it proceeded loading windows and now it's in the desktop. So what should I do now?  :yes:

--

Note: I have noticed that the cord connected in the hdd was loose when I was in the process of adding the ram. This may just happened recently because I was not touching the computer when the signal in the monitor was lost, it just happened when I enabled the fail-safe mode. Moreover, I had to re-position the HDD when I install the graphics card because the computer is only a m-ATX?? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Good, we are making progress  :thumbsup:

As you removed the CMOS battery it restored the MBs default factory settings, including the time and date, not all BIOS is the same but if you check the article here it will give you an idea how to set the correct time and date, you must do this or Windows and your AV protection will not update.

I had to re-position the HDD when I install the graphics card because the computer is only a m-ATX?? 

Is the HDD in a proper HDD bay and securely.

As to what you should do now, I would try replacing the second stick of RAM but would be concerned about fitting the add on video card again due to the unknown quality of the present PSU, it is entirely up to you at the end of the day, did the person that gifted you the card guarantee that it was working.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Good, we are making progress  :thumbsup:

As you removed the CMOS battery it restored the MBs default factory settings, including the time and date, not all BIOS is the same but if you check the article here it will give you an idea how to set the correct time and date, you must do this or Windows and your AV protection will not update.

I had to re-position the HDD when I install the graphics card because the computer is only a m-ATX?? 

Is the HDD in a proper HDD bay and securely.

As to what you should do now, I would try replacing the second stick of RAM but would be concerned about fitting the add on video card again due to the unknown quality of the present PSU, it is entirely up to you at the end of the day, did the person that gifted you the card guarantee that it was working.

Okay, I will configure the BIOS once I get back home. And yes, the HDD is in a proper bay and is secure. :)

With regards to the RAM, is there any explanation as why I should replace it? For the video card, yes I am aware that and I will take the consequences for whatever happens. :)

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello, I am now home, before I begin doing the things you want me to do, is the date and time the only things I should configure in the BIOS, I mean... to be safe?

And are you asking me to replace my second stick of RAM?

EDIT: With regards to the videocard, I asked the seller who I bought from. He told me that the PSU is safe because it is "psu rated", idk what that means.

And for the video card, I'll have to confirm.

Edited by Ivan Milan, 26 September 2016 - 04:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Time and date are all that needs to be reset in the BIOS.

If you have not done so already, put the second stick of RAM back into the slot on the MB.

I asked the seller who I bought from. He told me that the PSU is safe because it is "psu rated",

Sorry but have to disagree, check the PSU links in my sig and you will see what are good and bad brands of PSU, your PSU is not only old but also very poor quality.

Ivan Milan

Ivan Milan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Time and date are all that needs to be reset in the BIOS.

If you have not done so already, put the second stick of RAM back into the slot on the MB.

I asked the seller who I bought from. He told me that the PSU is safe because it is "psu rated",

Sorry but have to disagree, check the PSU links in my sig and you will see what are good and bad brands of PSU, your PSU is not only old but also very poor quality.

Okay, so have done that and everything is "normal" now! :) I would listen on your advice to not install the video card until I buy a new PSU :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

That really is the best thing to do regarding the PSU, think of a PSU as you would a human heart that needs to be able to pump a good clean blood supply around the body, a PSU is the same as in it needs to be able to produce a clean, stable and adequate power supply to all of your hardware, any interruption or weak supply will result in either an unstable or an unbootable computer.

When you replace the PSU make sure that it meets the following criteria, it needs to be a minimum of Bronze rated, preferably 500W, for the video card you have it must have a minimum of 29 amps on the +12V rail and go for a proven good quality brand such as Antec, Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic.

Finally, if you need help with choosing or would like a second opinion on a PSU that you are considering let us know, and please have the person from who you obtained the card confirm that it was working without issue when they passed it on to you, I`m quite sure that you would not be happy if you replaced the PSU only to find out that the video card was also faulty.