Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Start Menu, explorer.exe function

• Please log in to reply

pgplaya

pgplaya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well as a new user, I've installed and followed all of the instructions and programs for newbies...after loading my username i am left with a blank desktop...no start menu, no icons, no anything. I can run programs from ctr-alt-del but that is all, and I have noticed that explorer.exe is missing in the task manager...it cannot be run. Here is my HiJackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:59:31 AM, on 6/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\STOPzilla!\SZServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZIEBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\STOPzilla.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CAS Client] "C:\Program Files\Cas\Client\casclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [180ClientStubInstall] "C:\temp\stubinstaller6480.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: nupu.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - res://c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 2.0\aoltbhtml.dll/search.html
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnote...ad/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius....tiveXPlugin.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: STOPzilla - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IS3WLHandler.dll
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: STOPzilla Service (szserver) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\STOPzilla!\SZServer.exe

i really appreciate your help in advance

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.

In the future please DO NOT post your HJT Logs in this forum unless told so.

Post a log as a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Please download Policies Fix, extract it from a safe folder location. Double-click fixfirst.reg, agree to the merge, then double-click fixsecond.reg, and agree to the merge.

Lets see how it goes. ;)