Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LINUX

• Please log in to reply

a4ndinesh

a4ndinesh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

what are the uses of linux operating systems?

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

All about linux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

And Uses

https://www.linux.com/what-is-linux

Edited by HolyCowZ, 30 September 2016 - 06:53 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

same as a windows operating system.

linux is the only operating system i use, so am making this post using a firefox web browser on a linux desktop.

only real difference is usually programs written to work on a windows os won't natively work on a linux os and vice versa, but you can do the exact same things on both when you use the correct program written in the language the os your using understands.

so a firefox web browser on windows looks and does exactly the same thing as the linux version firefox web browser, but you would not be able to run the linux version of firefox on a windows os and vice versa.

some programs have versions for both windows and linux os like firefox but a lot do not so then you have to find a os specific program that does what you need.

for example in windows for an email client you may use "em client" but they don't do a linux version so in linux you may use a different program like "thunderbird" to do the exact same thing.

as the links provided by HolyCowZ show linux is used everywhere and is probably the most widely used operating system ever.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 30 September 2016 - 08:17 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

You mean other than being faster, cheaper, more secure, more stable, not to mention a real operating system? The real question is why people continue to use Windoze.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Some old people like my mother in law have trouble using windows give them linux and they would be 100% lost.

I work part time at a place teaching old people and disabled the basics of windows how to send an emails, word processing all the things you would do with ease the majority do not find it easy and it takes sometimes many weeks for some just to be able to send an email with slight confidence. Even had to device a lesson on clicking the mouse as some took days to master even this so to try to teach them how to install using sudo apt-get install then running the soft ware I can tell you now it would be something most would not take to well if at all. 

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

That is a bit funny since Linux is more secure, so there is less to learn. Anyone with a Windoze machine needs to be taught about spyware, viruses, etc. Some of the versions of Linux are very easy to use, as well you can boot from a DVD.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I don't see why it's funny?.

I'd say more to learn with liunx and remember and that's why the old and people and those with learning disabilities I teach don't do very well with it.

And there is no way some of the old people I teach could get there heads around or would want to go that deep about malware learning just learning how to be safe takes them a few months and that's just the very basics. Some it takes weeks to just get to grips with a mouse.

In my experience you have to be in the shoes of teaching these people before you'd learn the hard way and see just how much they struggle and yep I did do a class on linux 1 out of 15 managed to get to grips with it but went back to windows, so 0 stuck with it all moved to the windows class.

For techy and young people yes it is going to be more easy for them to use linux.

Linux users can be very defensive lol I use linux and windows.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

There is really a lot to learn with Windoze, but many don't and end up with problems. Updates which break it, but if you don't update then the machine is less secure. There is the common having to reload the OS. Windoze is the so-called OS that I know of that deteriorates over time.

Perhaps it depends on how you teach people and realize what they need to know.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

OK