Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 problem with touchpad (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

Hello puthu, The main problem that you have is that Samsung does not provide any Windows 10 drivers for your notebook and the second problem as you have found is that the latest Windows 10 dri... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

puthu

puthu

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi guys,

With a lot of help from you in the past i was able to keep my laptop running for a long time, so thank you to start with,

My issue today is that i recently downloaded windows 10, to my surprise i found that the mouse touch pad called elan for 64 bit was acting funny, I am unable to point the mouse in the right direction. So i decided to uninstall the driver from and add and remove programs, then i restart , it works fine. The problem begins when the windows does an update every time, that it goes back to the same state it was previously and i have to redo the whole process again, its really getting to my nerves, hence my plight to get this issue resolved. is this a hardware issue or software ?

I keep my computer clean from all kinds of virus, thanks to you guys.. my recent activity in trying to solve this issue was to refresh and reinstall my windows 10. my previous windows was 7, i really enjoyed windows 7 but during my reinstall to windows 10, i lost some of the apps, they are as follows, can we reinstall them ?

Apps removed while refreshing your PC
App name Publisher Version   Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Broadcom Corporation 5.60.48.55 Broadcom Wireless Utility Broadcom Corporation 5.60.48.55 HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series Basic Device Software Hewlett-Packard Co. 23.0.504.0 HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series Product Improvement Study Hewlett-Packard Co. 23.0.504.0 Microsoft Silverlight Microsoft Corporation 5.1.50709.0 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) Microsoft Corporation 8.0.56336 Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) Microsoft Corporation 8.0.61000 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.30319 Microsoft Corporation 10.0.30319 NVIDIA Graphics Driver 327.02 NVIDIA Corporation 327.02 NVIDIA Update 1.14.17 NVIDIA Corporation 1.14.17 SRS Premium Sound Control Panel SRS Labs, Inc. 1.8.8100
Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:42 PM

Thanks and I will wait for your reply guys... I know u are all busy, let me know what I must do, apart from the standard virus cleaning etc, again my computer is working fine its just this issue I need help with...

Advertisements

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello again, forgot to mention the type of laptop : Samsung SF410, 64 bit, initially windows 7 upgraded to 10 which is now conflicting with my touchpad.

Problem : elan touch pad driver 64bit , can't find the right driver. Every time windows 10 does an update, it automatically downloads a driver that does not function correctly. The touch pad acts funny and cant get it to point the mouse correctly. Hence I delete the driver manually, after restart, the touchpad works fine but the cycle repeats itself after an update.  

Question: can we get the right driver for this laptop ?  or can we "not" let windows update download this driver ? worse if all else fails, can I go back to windows 7 ? I have the windows 7 cd that came with the laptop at the time of purchase - might need your help if that is my last alternative.

I like windows 10 had it not been for this problem. Thanks   

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello puthu,

The main problem that you have is that Samsung does not provide any Windows 10 drivers for your notebook and the second problem as you have found is that the latest Windows 10 drivers do not play nicely with your touch pad, having uninstalled the problem update before you obviously know which one you need to address when using the following fix, temporarily hide the problem update until hopefully a more stable up to date Windows 10 driver is possibly released, I say possibly as Microsoft is not liable for providing stable drivers for Windows on Samsung`s behalf and so no new stable touch pad driver may ever be forthcoming  :(

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Couple of tips for you puthu, if you have waited for three days or more without receiving any reply to your request for help, please do not create a new thread on the same or any other forum, post in the Waiting Room which is there specifically for such situations.

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped, this is what I suspect has happened here.

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I sincerely apologize for the double dipping, somehow I realized but it was too late by the time I sent it off. FYI I have started a thread in the hardware section for the same problem as I didn't hear from you. I wasn't sure if this was a software or a hardware problem. It's called Samsung touchpad, I haven't yet received any replies to that thread yet. Would you be able to delete that thread?
Now to address the issue at hand, it is really frustrating that I have to manually uninstall the windows driver for touch pad every time it does an update. Until Windows 10 comes out with ( like u said) a stable platform, can you suggest how I can revert back to my old windows 7 platform. It's been a couple of months since I had the windows 10 now. Another problem to this windows 10 is that I am unable to install my hp printer drivers which was specifically given for windows 7. Apparently it did work on windows 10 a few days ago until the windows update caused the touchpad issue which influenced me to revert and that messed it all up by removing some apps from my computer which I had mentioned in my first post. So there, hope I was clear.. Pls advise.
Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No harm done and now that you are aware of the Waiting Room forum you know what to do should a delay in you receiving a reply happen in the future  :thumbsup:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 more than one month ago the only way to go back to Windows 7 is by doing a clean install, you will need the original Windows 7 product key to be able to do this, see guide here

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

The problem is stable for now as per your directions I have managed to block the update for the touch pad driver ((temporarily), Its funny, but i have'nt been able to install the printer software that came with windows 7. This we didnt have issues with windows "10" until recently, can you suggest a way to reinstall the printer software on the same or may be not ? I think I will keep the windows 10 for now since the problem is "stable" . I really wish windows 10 was more flexible with my printer software. Any way, you have been a great help, so thank you.

if you could suggest us a way to reinstall the hp printer software, somehow to bypass or trick windows 10 to thinking and allowing the install would have been really nice. It was working before on windows 10 until last week, this issue happened.

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

See HP guide here

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ok I will check out the hp guide, can you please give me a link to download the mbam Anti malware software ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

MBAM free or Pro from here puthu

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Is there a way I can re visit this thread as it was very helpful with my problems. I have managed to install the printer driver now yay ! thanks to you.. what a peace of mind now. Awesome, for now the automatic download hopefully doesn't cause the touchpad driver to change. Its temporarily blocked with your help.

Thank you philpower2, you knew exactly where to hit the problem,

Have a great day,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure what you mean by revisit the thread but you can do that anytime by checking your content and then clicking on this particular thread, any re-occurrence with the same problem post back here, for any new problem please start a new thread on the appropriate forum.

You are most welcome btw and you too have a great day puthu  :thumbsup:

puthu

puthu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ahh I get it. Ok that sounds good. Thank you for your awesome help. You guys rock !!! My favourite website. I have recommended so many of my friends and family to you, that are pretty impressed by you guys... Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad we could help and thank you for your kind words  :)