Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to close phony virus alert webpages? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

OGdexter

OGdexter

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I have occasionally had these phony "virus alerts" come up when browsing, My AV (Bitdefender) tells me it has detected them and wiped them out from my computer.

Bitdefender identifies them as phishing attempts and fraud alerts. When they come up I can't close the page and the back button won't work either, Then the only way I could deal with it was to bring up the Task Manager and close the (Chrome) browser.

Is there any other way to escape from these fraudulent web pages? or prevent them from showing up in the first place?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello OGdxter,

You appear to have a malware issue. Malware issues are not addressed in this form. Please follow directions below and someone in Malware forum will assist you.

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
No malware, AV took care of that. Just wanted a way to close the fraud page without resorting to Task Manager to close the browser. Fraud tab freezes up and won't close, or let me switch to another tab.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
It's possible other malware was installed that the Av missed.

Follow my instructions and post in malware forum, Ill be waiting. Post the 2 log reports from Farber Recovery Scan Tool.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

It is possible that the web page loads itself several times so that the back button appears to not work.  However, it would be best to have the system checked as zep516 suggests.  They will do a great job making sure that nothing else is interfering with the function of the browser (malware, adware, bad settings, etc.).

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.