Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Gaming Rig (Resolved).

AMD MSI GTX1060

Best Answer phillpower2 , 03 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

Mr.Singh, Not a bad build but a couple of pointers for you; You do not presently need 16GB of RAM for gaming so go for two Xs 4GB sticks instead and use the cash saved elsewh... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Singh

Mr.Singh

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Guys,

Hope you are doing well. I need a precious advice from ya all tech geeks on my AMD gaming build. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vf2PJV

I won’t be doing much of extreme overclocking, that's the reason I'm planning to stick with stock Wraith Cooler for FX-8350 with MSI 970 Gaming MOBO.

Also I'm planning to use Zotac GTX 6GB 1060 graphic card . With G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB ram.

So what do you guys think of this build? Are all parts compatible?  Do I need to change something.

THANKS!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Mr.Singh,

Not a bad build but a couple of pointers for you;

You do not presently need 16GB of RAM for gaming so go for two Xs 4GB sticks instead and use the cash saved elsewhere.

Your current selection of RAM is 1600MHz but the memory supported by your CPU is DDR3-1866, see here 1866MHz RAM should not need OCing with your MB.

Zotac is not one of the top brands, EVGA and Gigabyte are better + certain better performing cards cost less, see here

You case only has two cooling fans, add a couple more to keep things nice and cool inside.

Missing from your list, no storage devices, no optical drive and no OS, do you already have these, if yes, can you tell us what you will be using.

Mr.Singh

Mr.Singh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the info Phill,

I have searched over the net and found that Fx-8350 can support Up to DDR3-1866MHz Unregistered DIMMs and MOBO up to 2133MHZ.

However I'll buy 1866Mhz. just to be safe.

I opted for Zotac coz it is the cheapest  :spoton:  among all of GTX 1060 and it have almost the same core clock 1.56Ghz plus providing 5yrs warranty.

Yes I'll be using components from my current PC which is Win 7 OS, Dell Keyboard mouse HP optical drive, WD 500gb HDD, samsung monitor this will be upgraded in near future.

addition to this Ill be adding Adata 120gb or Samsung evo 250gb ssd this will suffice as I already have the WD 1tb external and 500gb internal and they are not full yet :spoton:

what say?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Mr.Singh, unforeseen circumstances have kept me away from home I`m afraid  :(

RAM, GPU and HDD info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

The 250GB Samsung SSD for Windows only would be the way that I would go, less chance of it becoming corrupt and easier to keep backed up.

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence. 

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

You are welcome btw  :)

Mr.Singh

Mr.Singh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Not at all a problem Phill hope everything is fine there, and at least you took out your valuable time to share the knowledge which I really appreciate,

Yes Ill be using SSD specifically for the OS and the games. And I don't know if my current OS version or type key will work on new PC however I took and made a note of the current key to use in the new one to see if works. If not then I guess there will be a month time to try the OS.

That's all soon Ill be posting the pictures of the build.

This thread can be marked as solved :yeah:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for understanding Mr.Singh  :thumbsup:

Will you be creating a separate partition for Windows, that is best and it should be 128GB or more.

And I don't know if my current OS version or type key will work on new PC however I took and made a note of the current key to use in the new one to see if works. 

If the product key is the OEM type and you do a clean install Microsoft may lock you out, if you intend using a present OS on your HDD then the computer will not boot as the wrong MB etc drivers will try and load on boot.

Mr.Singh

Mr.Singh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I was planning to make 80Gb 1st partition for Win and rest  whatever is left 2nd partition for games.

I know cloning will not work coz of motherboard change, I'll be doing fresh installation.

I don't think current OS is OEM as this one is AMD assembled pc  too, but who know what challenge awaits for me. WISH ME LUCK 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

80GB is too small, keep in mind all of the present and future security updates that will be released for Windows + the fact that at some point you will have to move on from Windows 7 when support ends for it.

A clean install is your best option, just be sure to install the chipset drivers for the MB as soon as Windows is installed.

I don't think current OS is OEM as this one is AMD assembled pc  too

If the OS was pre installed when you purchased the computer then it is most likely OEM and installed using a volume licence key (VLK).

I am sure that you do not need it but good luck  :thumbsup: