Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL tcpip.sys (Resolved).

Best Answer msbug , 27 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

I apologize. Couldn't get back on laptop and just bought a new desktop. I appreciate all the help. The new desktop has windows 10, which I am getting use to. It came with a month of McAfee which I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi folks,

My canned info on AV protection for Windows 8.1 and 10 below, any problems with removing McAfee use their removal tool from here

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Advertisements

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

ok so do I use mcafee removal tool or just go to my control panel? Also when I had windows 7 I liked MSE, is Windows Defender the same for my Windows 10? Can I just use Windows Defender? Once I uninstall McAfee will WIndows Defender turn on automatically?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
ok so do I use mcafee removal tool or just go to my control panel? 

As advised by both McAfee and FreeBooter, control panel first, I suggested using the MCPR tool only if you had problems.

Once I uninstall McAfee will WIndows Defender turn on automatically?

Please check for yourself but yes, once any third party AV has been correctly removed it should auto activate, likewise it will deactivate if you install a third party AV software and will remain disabled if you do not uninstall any third party software such as McAfee.

Once Defender has been enabled, please allow it to update and complete a full scan.

Can I just use Windows Defender? 

Windows Defender and Firewall are fine + see Free Spyware / Malware Detection and Removal info here

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

thank you all for everything. Windows 10 is so new to me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Thank you. I uninstalled McAfee and have WIndows Defender, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster and CCleaner. I was looking at the suggestions for free spyware and Super Antispyware was listed. Do I need that too with what I already have, or will it be too much and interfere with anything?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I uninstalled McAfee and have WIndows Defender, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster and CCleaner.

Would have chosen SAS over Spyware Blaster and recommend caution when using CCleaner as in never go near the registry cleaner, other than that all good.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

If your recommendation is Super Anti Spyware then I will uninstall Spyware Blaster and use that one. Thank you for your guidance. I usually only use CCleaner to clean up temp files.

Edited by msbug, 29 October 2016 - 04:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome msbug  :)