Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Envy23-010ea bios update (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

Sorry Alan missed your present CPU specs in your OP   With the new found information in hand, the i5-3470S for me is the best option rather than holding out for an i5-3570S that may... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Alan53

Alan53

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Hi I have an HP Envy23-010ea and I want to upgrade the CPU to either an i5-3570 or an i5-3550or an i5-3450 and I was wondering if there was bios support for these processors and where can I find out because I can only find a bios for windows 8.1and I have put a full install of Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Processor
TDP

Intel Core i3-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 35W
Intel Core i3-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 55W
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 35W
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core
up to 45W
Intel Core i5-3xxxS (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core
up to 65W
Intel Core i3-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 65W
Intel Core i3-2xxxT (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 35W
Intel Core i7-2xxxS (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core
up to 95W
Intel Core i7-3xxxS (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core
up to 65W
Intel Pentium G6xx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 65W
Intel Pentium G6xxT (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 35W
Intel Pentium G8xx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 65W
Intel Pentium G20xx (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core
up to 5

This is what I have : Intel ® Pentium® CPU [email protected].

Edited by Alan53, 04 October 2016 - 12:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Alan53,

Malygris1 is waiting on a reply from you over on the HP forum here

We are always happy to help when we can but we cannot do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Hi phillpower2 sorry for the mix up but as it is an HP machine I was told to try the HP forum first and I didn't think I was going to get a reply as I had the chance of a cpu from a friend and I needed help in a hurry and that is why I jumped to Geeks to go as you have helped me in the past, but as fate goes I missed the chance to get the cpu but I will keep looking and maybe get back in touch, again I am sorry for the mix up just call it a moment of panic,  regards and thanks for replying.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Alan,

No problem, thank you for getting back to us and for your understanding  :thumbsup:

The sad fact is that some folk (yourself not included) will often post on several forums at once and then try juggling between the threads, this is where disaster can strike and when it does the OP can sometimes be looking for someone other than themselves to blame.

Good luck with the CPU upgrade and as ever you are welcome  :)

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Sorry phillpower2 just one thing before I go what is your opinion of this one

http://www.ebay.co.u...A8AAOSw7s5Xg7xS

Edited by Alan53, 08 October 2016 - 07:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

HP advisory here

As an asides Alan, I am only seeing a slight improvement on the CPUs integrated graphics from the HD 2000 to HD 4000, really not sure that it is worth the time, trouble and cost tbh.

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks phillpower2 for the advice it's an increase in the CPU I am looking for the graphics was a bonus, it's not easy trying to find a used ivy bridge quad or dual core 35w processor in the UK on eBay but I suppose It keeps me out of mischief, wish me luck please and if you come across one on you travels please let me know. regards.

Edited by Alan53, 09 October 2016 - 11:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Looking at the compatibility list the 65W i5-3570S is the best quad core i5 Ivy Bridge available to you, 65W and 3.10 GHz with 3.80 GHz Turbo, not seeing any in the UK and only the one reasonably priced from across the pond here

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: Just a word to the wise, customs pick random parcels shipped from overseas and sometimes impose an additional import duty on certain products. happened to me with with a Swarovski crystal that I bought from an ebay seller in the US, it was held in the sorting office until I paid the tax which was around £20.00  :(

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks again for the info, I was just thinking would I loose much dropping to a i5-3470S, this is what is in the machine just now, Intel ® Pentium® CPU [email protected]. It will give me more of a choice. regards.

http://www.ebay.co.u...EsAAOSwNRdX9PBD

Edited by Alan53, 11 October 2016 - 01:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Sorry Alan missed your present CPU specs in your OP  :(

With the new found information in hand, the i5-3470S for me is the best option rather than holding out for an i5-3570S that may never become available or if does you pay through the nose for it.

In case you are not aware, your present CPU is restricted to 1066MHz RAM meaning that this could be the spec that is in your machine atm, please check as the i5-3470S is compatible with 1333/1600 and if 1066MHz RAM is fitted the computer will most likely not boot or will be unstable if it does.

Pentium® Processor G645 

i5-3470S Processor

Advertisements

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Hi phillpower2 Thanks for that info I just checked the memory, look like I will have to get some memory, I might as well get 1600mhz say 1x8gb. I never thought on that thanks, regards.  

Processor ordered.

http://www.ebay.co.u...4c8d:g:3EsAAO.

Sorry to be a pain but any ideas about the ram, I was thinking:- 8gb 1600mhz 204-pin SODIMM ddr3 should I go for used or new.

How about this one :- 

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT3747980.

http://uk.crucial.co...010ea/CT3747980

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture x.PNG

Edited by Alan53, 12 October 2016 - 02:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Alan,

Never use a single large module of RAM, if it fails you can not use the computer and so it is best to go with 2 Xs 4GB sticks like those here

You are welcome btw  :)

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Hi phillpower2 thanks for that info ram ordered as you suggested now I have just got to wait, I will  let you know how things  go. Regards and thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome Alan  :)

In case you do not have some already, thermal paste and a cleaner for getting rid of the present compound, some examples here

Alan53

Alan53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Hi yes I have cleaner and the thermal paste I have is Artic MX-4. I am going to copy all that I need to keep onto a portable drive just to be safe incase I have to reinstall Windows, can't wait. regards.