Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow windows 10 Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Hamn

Hamn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi I am having difficulty with windows automatic updates

Last night when switching of my computer I was informed that updates were avai;liable (Win10)  I selected install and switch off , the light on the computer when't out after about 5 min

this morning on switching the computer on a Message on screen advised the updates needed installing which took about 1hr 15min to be replaced with another message Getting things ready

which took another 15 min., I then finally  got the sign in screen

I am now wondering exactly what I had downloaded, on my last computer which had XP as its OS updates were itemized and I could select which were actual required, is there a way for win 10 to display what is to be downloaded so I can reduce the installation  time by only loading the bits I require (with XP most were new languages or language updates, also critical OS security updates were highlighted

Computer Lenovo

OS           Win10

Browser   Duck Duck

Wifi          Virgin 75mb

Thanks  Roy

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Roy, Win 10 is quite different from Win XP and the "updating" is quite involved and with Home versions of Win 10 quite difficult to control....

If you go to Settings and click on Update and Security and then at the Windows update screen ( it should open automatically) and click on Learn More it will give you all the information you need including a list of the updates...

The list of updates is hyperlinked to information pages so it should provide a clue as to what has happened!

Regards

paws

Hamn

Hamn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the reply and info

I was able to find out about the download, the problem was the time it took to install the update it was over over an hour, and my wifis not slow Before I retired this would not be acceptable with a computer updating for that length of time at start up could have cost the company a lot of money, we used to have XP in those days so we could select the important parts for installing

Regards Roy

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Roy, I think I know how you feel!

With some of the Windows 10 "Updates" like the major recent one the download itself could be around 3.5 Gb or so and even on a fast Internet connection like yours it would take some time (on a slower broadband one like mine for example) the download would take around 7 to 8 hours and then there is the installation of the files, depending on the speed of your computer this could take a further hour or so....

With these major "updates" the update is in the form of an image ie a complete new operating system in the update rather than just a motley collection of files! ( that's why the files are so large!) and this is going to be the way forward with Microsoft for the future I would guess at least once a year and maybe more frequently...who knows!

As to whether or not its acceptable..... if we want to stick with a Microsoft operating system then we don't have any choice in the matter ...it's what they do!

If it's not acceptable then we may need to find an alternative operating system....Linux perhaps?

The foregoing does not mean that all updates will be large ones... Microsoft are still issuing their usual smaller fixes and patches that seem to install quickly and without disturbing too many folks.

Post back if you need further information on this

Regards

paws