Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Phone Call

• Please log in to reply

NikolaTeslaX

NikolaTeslaX

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I was half asleep this morning when I realised my flip phone was buzzing at me. Lo and behold, there's a call coming in! I try to answer, but don't catch it in time, so GV sends it to Voicemail. Great, that's fine. I'll call it back to see who it was. When I called back, it was answered almost instantly, followed immediately by four beeps (sine wave) of varying pitches. I've never heard this before. I've already spent almost two hours scouring Google for something similar. Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi NikolaTeslaX,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

Your phone doesn't happen to save missed messages where you can check the number, does it? Almost sounds like someone was trying to send a fax to the wrong number or it was an automated call from a computer and when you tried to call back the computer had no idea how to answer.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Donna,

That may have or could have been the roadrunner too. Beep! Beep !

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:lol:

Now that I think about all this, once I tried to call a number on a business card that was given to me and got a similar strange beep/sound. Thought it best to put my glasses on and try again. That's when I realized I had called the Fax number instead of the phone number. Ooops!

chrissymarie

chrissymarie

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

That was my first thought a fax.

reesCatLover

reesCatLover

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Unidentiafiable government ( USA maybe ) number dialed you by mistake

If they want to call you they will call back. 

Bothers you as a fax, fax it.

Met anyone who you blew off, watch out for stalkers. Be aware. Remember people can spoof phone numbers.