Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc check problem (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 October 2016 - 04:57 AM

Thanks, no problem with the amount of free storage space either which is another +. To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, di... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Here recently I went to do a disc check.  As usual it will want to schedule after restart.  Everything went ok the first time.  Upon start up later it would be doing a disc check.  Now I'm getting window popups saying there is a disc problem.  Tried doing another disc check after message and it is just spinning saying it will shut down.  Seems to be stuck in what I'm trying to do to check the disc and make any repairs.  Any fix out there?  Thanks for looking.  

Advertisements

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

I did the Data Lifeguard Tools for a WD HD that passed the test.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You should still backup your data and do a long test with Data Lifeguard Tools.

Good advice, once your data has been backed up do the following for us;

Check the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Backed up and here's what I got so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled 1.jpg
  • Untitled 2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

HDD looks ok in the screenshots so can we have a screenshot of Disk Manager please;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

I had a difficult time with the disk management to appear for a screen shot.  My snapshot said it was saved to the desktop but couldn't see it.  Had to restart computer so it would show the HD in the disk management plus the snapshot on the desktop.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled 3.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies, I should have said "expanded screenshot" we need to be able to see the amount of free storage space that is available on the HDD, can you do it again please and grab a screenshot of the whole screen.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Better?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled 4.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks, no problem with the amount of free storage space either which is another +.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

I performed the clean boot then restarted to do the windows all in one.  But upon restarting it said restarting windows but wouldn't let me log in to do the repair.  Just sat there with a rhythmic clicking sound.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

What does this mean

Had to restart computer so it would show the HD in the disk management plus the snapshot on the desktop.

in post 8?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you pinpoint where the clicking is coming from, is it from the HDD.

Do not let it hang where it is, it will serve no purpose.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Where do we go from here?  Hd toast?  I disabled what was required for a fresh boot.  Then did the power thing, then was going to run the windows repair and now I can't log in.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

It passed the extended test.  When you start up the computer it says it starting up windows with the windows logo just before you log in but doesn't go beyond that point.  The red light that tells you that it is doing something will flash intermittently and you hear a click.  I tried using the windows repair disk for startup but the arrow just spins at that point with no results.  I even tried the win 7 installation disk with no go.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

To make a long story short I was able to do a system restore, I'm back in.  Now I'm dealing with an issue with my antivirus saying there was an error and I needed to do a uninstall;/reinstall.  It has failed now twice to reinstall.  Should I run this tweak program and then deal with the antivirus?  Thnx