Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unplugged USB 3.0 (10-pin), now Computer won't boot (Resolved).

power issue

Best Answer Georgia Peach , 22 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

Phillpower2 & Iammykyl -- Thanks for your guidance and assistance! It was good to be able to have steps towards debugging the problem. I've finished installing the new MB, plus the PCIe f... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

That should read: won't even turn on. My new computer has been running great. The build is listed here: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NMsspb

Today I decided to add a card reader. Both the computer case and this card require the 10-pin plug on the MB. I was testing the card reader, so unplugged the case's USB plug. After testing I unplugged the card reader (and realized I'll probably need to get a PCIe card), I replugged the case back in.

During these plug/unplug times I unplugged power from the computer and turned the switch off at the back. The last time I went to plug in and turn on nothing happened EXCEPT a device plugged into the case's USB (at the top of the case) chirped up that it was on. That's it. I tried turning the MB on at the button on the board, but nothing happened. I tested the power supply, and it seems to be fine. I unplugged the USB 3, but still nothing.

I've tried checking some of the connections, but nothing is happening. Apparently *some* power is getting to the MB, but there's no booting up, no lights.

I'd appreciate any guidance! (oh why oh why did I want that card reader???? *sob*)

Edited by Georgia Peach, 19 October 2016 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Georgia Peach,

Sorry to hear of your computer troubles  :(

During these plug/unplug times I unplugged power from the computer and turned the switch off at the back.

That is partially the correct procedure but additionally the case power switch should be pressed to get rid of any residual charge in the MB and other hardware + you need to ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

The last time I went to plug in and turn on nothing happened EXCEPT a device plugged into the case's USB (at the top of the case) chirped up that it was on. 

Not sure what the chirp was but as long as that is what normally happens it should be ok, if you don`t normally get a chirp when plugging in any USB device it could be a bad sign, a system short for example.

What I suggest;

Disconnect all sources of power to the computer.

Press the case power button for 10 seconds or so.

Ground yourself on the case or PSU.

Remove the RAM and GPU.

Disconnect all drives from the MB and tuck the SATA power leads away neatly.

Disconnect any internal USB headers on the MB and again tuck the leads away safely.

Make sure that the following are securely attached to the headers on the MB: The CPUs 8 pin power connection. The CPUs 4 pin cooling fan connection. The 24 pin MB main power connector.

For now only connect the mains power to the PSU and a PS/2 (wired type) keyboard, turn on the power, press the power button on the case to see if the PSU activates and the CPU cooling fan spins up, if not, repeat the 3 red steps, disconnect the case connections to the MBs front panel header, reconnect the power, being careful try the MBs power switch.

Post back with an update when ready or if you have any questions along the way.

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

Did all as you suggested (and I hadn't pressed down the case power button for 10 seconds before :bashhead: ).

Still no joy from MB. I double-checked the PSU, and it works fine when tested off-the-board. Now, I unplugged SATA cables from the drives, but not the MB itself (they're a bugger to get plugged in). Would that make a difference? I hate to think I've fried my MB somehow, but that's what it looks like at this point.

Thanks for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Georgia Peach,

Check the MB for any blown or bulging caps and for anything that could be causing a system short, bared wire/s, a badly fitted MB I/O plate or a stray screw etc.

Other than the CPUs 8 pin power connection, the CPUs 4 pin cooling fan connection and the 24 pin MB main power connector nothing else should be connected to the MB, just in case something is shorting out.

If after removing the other connections from the MB nothing changes, do the three red steps, disconnect the CPUs 8 power connector from the MB, reconnect the power to the PSU, turn on the power at source, press the MBs power on button to see if the PSU activates, checking to see if the CPU could be bad by doing this.

If no signs of life after doing all of the above you should do a barebones set up outside of the case, will provide the steps for this if and when required, no point in putting too much info in the one reply.

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks. Will do and get back to you.

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

The capacitors all look okay, but once I take it out of the case I can look closer. Bare bones set up it is. Will have to do later tonight, as I need more thermal compound if (when!) I get it debugged and back together.

DARKlead

DARKlead

• Pip
  • 3 posts

You're  American, but this might also be a cause. There's usually a switch on the back of your PSU that reads either 240V or 120V. It's possible you accidentally switched it. If you live in Europe, you use 240, everywhere else is 120. Although slim that this has happened, it's possible.

Looks like this: redSwitch.jpg

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Bless you for throwing me a line. I hesitate to take the PSU out of the case to actually check this switch (four screws!), because sadly, that's not very likely: a) the PSU works fine when I connect it to the tester, and b) the switch you mention is behind a screen and absolutely untouchable. It was working one moment, and then not the next. What I was working with at the time was far, far away from the voltage switch. *sigh*

However, as I will be more than likely taking the MB out of the case, I'll check the voltage as well.

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

MB didn't respond at all. I still didn't seen any blown capacitors, so there's no telling what happened. Fortunately, it is within 30 days since I bought it, so back to the store it went, and I've got a new one. I'll let you know when(!) it's all back together. Fingers crossed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

With the new MB, do a bare bones setup, Take anti static measures before beginning, or the gloves.

Remove all traces of old TIM from both the CPU top and Heatsink face, use 99%  isopropyl alcohol or  http://www.newegg.co...uDc_hoC5M_w_wcB

Install the CPU, > apply new TIM, > install cooler, > connect only the 24 and 8 pin main power cable and the CPU 4 pin fan plug, 

Switch on the PSU, > press the MB power on button.

The PSU and CPU fans should start, the PSU fan may stop if it is thermally controlled, but the CPU fan should keep going.

If a fail, make a note of the Dr Debug display code.

If OK.   Power off, > switch of the PSU, > install the RAM, test.

If OK,   Power off, > switch of the PSU, > connect from MB a iGPU port to the monitor, test, you should get a message displayed.

Please post back before installing in the case as need info.

What hardware did you have attached to the case top USB 3,0 port??   The brand and model please.

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Iammykyl! Good to hear from you. Will do build as you suggest and let you know.

The card reader is Rosewill SuperSpeed Memory Card Reader USB 3.0. Before I plugged it in, the case's front panel USB 3.0 was plugged in. At one point, I had the Rosewill plugged in and working fine. I decided to unplug it and replug the case's USB 3.0 because I was awaiting arrival of a 5.25" bracket to hold hte card reader. I also bought a PCIe Host Card with an internal 20-pin connector so I can use both devices. (I bought it when I got the new MB).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: OK, got the card reader/PCI card part, but,

"The last time I went to plug in and turn on nothing happened EXCEPT a device plugged into the case's USB (at the top of the case) chirped up that it was on."

What device was plugged in?

Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
✓  Best Answer

Phillpower2 & Iammykyl --

Thanks for your guidance and assistance! :notworthy: It was good to be able to have steps towards debugging the problem. I've finished installing the new MB, plus the PCIe for the 10-pin USB 3.0. Looks like all is working great.Both the top USBs and the card reader are working.

I'm so happy! :spoton: :prop:  (sorry...enjoying the emojis too much...)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad to hear that all is well and thank you for letting us know Georgia Peach  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Ditto   Georgia Peach :rockon: