Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email Inbox

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

I am so hoping there's someone out there that can help me. I have tried to no avail to get what Microsoft and Outlook deem "help" but they are useless. 

Since this new Outlook.com has been updated, all of my emails in my inbox are gone. I have already tried other browsers, clearing cache and even different computers. There's nothing there. I can't even search for the emails that were there. Some of them were rather important medical and legal emails that I needed to keep handy, which is why they were never deleted to begin with.

If someone could maybe suggest something I haven't tried I would be greatly appreciative

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Donna

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Donna,

So sorry to hear of the loss of your emails. It is really a pain when this happens as there have been reports of folks experiencing the same sort of problems, not only just recently but for years now.

The easy way to deal with this is to just use your back ups of all your important stuff.... however from time to time folks either forget to update their backups or even worse don't have any!

Here's a thread from 2013 where folks are complaining to Microsoft about similar problems and they have come back with some suggestions that have helped some (but not all the people affected.)

http://answers.micro...ace815f3?page=1

It might be wise to go through the suggestions one by one and see if they work for you.

That particular thread seems to have been locked but if you are able to open a fresh topic there it may help

Good luck

Regards

paws

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Some further info here that may also help.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Thank you for posting this information. It seems I'm not the only one with this issue, which is typical when Microsoft decides to "help" by "upgrading" without even contacting their clients. It's nice to see their answers of it's always the users fault too. Typical again with Microsoft is they have no way to contact them for information or help with the situation 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and good luck with retrieving your emails  :thumbsup:

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Ok so there's no link in there I can access because it is locked. I guess I pissed someone off because I had asked for more help on this matter. I didn't mean to state that "THIS" link was broken only that link that phillpower2 had sent was locked so I couldn't reply to get any more information on that site.

I don't know where to find just "OUTLOOK" since I don't have Office or Outlook on my system. I only access my emails through HOTMAIL and only on my two home computers since I don't have data or WiFi on my phones

If you could possibly read through these instructions and help me understand them, or maybe tell me if this is what will help because the first line in the instructions that Microsoft sent me is "open your OUTLOOK APP"   to me that means using a smartphone etc which I did already explain to Microsoft that I do not have any apps

thank you so much

Sent:   October 31, 2016icon_down.png?ver=16.11.3.7

Hi,

For us to further investigate the issue, kindly provide us the following information:

• Microsoft Account (MSA)

• PUID• Account Aliases (if any)

• Time of Incident

• Time Zone

• OWA Logging (Outlook Web Trace)

1.  Sign in to Outlook Web App.  
2.  Append a traceLevel query string to the URL to specify the trace level.    • Off=0 
 • Error=1 
 • Warning=2 
 • Performance=3 
 • Info=4 
The  traceLevel  parameter is case-sensitive. For example, append  ?traceLevel=4  to the URL.  
3.  Optionally, you can append the traceComponents query parameter. This parameter specifies the Outlook Web App components from which you collect traces. If the traceComponents parameter is missing, the traces are collected from all Outlook Web App components. Separate component names by comma, if you specify some components in the traceComponents parameter . The traceComponents parameter is case-sensitive. 

For example, https://outlook.office365.com/owa/?traceLevel=4&traceComponents=smime 

Some Outlook Web App trace components are as follows:

• AppCache 
 • Attachments 
 • Autodiscover 
 • Calendar 
 • CalendarActionsErrorHandling 
 • CalendarItems 
 • Chat 
 • ConversationItems 
 • Conversations 
 • ErrorHandler 
 • Folders 
 • MailCompose 
 • PushNotification 
 • ReadingPane 
 • Reminders 
 • Smime 

4.  Open the debug console in the browser.  • In Internet Explorer 
a.  Press the F12 key to open the Developer Tools. Or, on the Tools  menu, click F12 Developer Tools .  
b.  Click the Console  tab.  
c.  Reproduce the issue.  
d.  Right-click any area of the Console window, click Copy All , and then past the content to a file.  

• In Chrome 
a.  On the menu, point to More tools , and then click Developer tools .  
b.  Click the Console  tab, and then select the Preserve log check box.  
c.  Reproduce the issue.  
d.  Right-click any area of the Console window, click Save as , and save the content to a file.