Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

change default language

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

santsteve

santsteve

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

(Windows 10) I have a laptop that currently has Chinese as a default language. I have followed the steps to change it but when I click 'regions and language' the screen disappears. As everything is in Chinese, I am not sure what else to try. Any suggestions will need to be able to get past the on-screen language barrier. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

the link you provided is an example of the instructions I have followed. When I get to 'region and language' and click on it, the screen disappears.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you for your time and expertise. The problem I have is when I open these screens and all the options are in Chinese. I do not know what I am clicking on.. I really do appreciate your help. I was hoping for screen shots where I could transfer the information by sight. The local 'geeks' here in Hong Kong are not very accommodating to westerners.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If I may chime in with a question folks  :)

Is this a new computer with very little or no personal data on the HDD santsteve, reason I ask is because a clean install in your chosen language would solve your problem, we never suggest a clean install unless it is a last resort or it is obvious that it is required but it could be the quickest and most efficient option for you here.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The problem I have is the current default language is in Chinese, so I do not know for sure what I am clicking on. I can download web pages in English, but all instructions are in Chinese. I can use the icons only so far and then it is in Chinese characters. It isn't in English at all. Also, when I get to the 'region and language' page, the page (and process to that point) disappears when I click on it and I am back to my screensaver.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You can download a Windows 10 ISO on any computer and then use the ISO on another to do a clean install, see media creation tool instructions here you should be able to create the ISO on your computer without anything turning to Chinese translation.

Other than the above I can only suggest that you have the person that you obtained the computer from put this right, you really should not have been sold a computer set up in such a way.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I agree with the set-up comment. It was a Groupon deal for a store demo. I will try your ISO suggestion. Thank you, you have given some great info.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and please let us know how you get on or if you have any questions along the way.

The computer being new it will have UEFI as opposed to stock BIOS so if you go the USB thumb drive route you may need to disable secure boot before the computer can boot from the USB, steps below (not sure which access key you will need as brands differ so have used F2 as an example below).

To switch UEFI native mode to legacy BIOS mode (and disable secure boot):

Restart the computer. In Windows 8/8.1/10 from the Start or Desktop screen move your pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen. When the Windows Charms appear, click the Settings ( ) charm, click Power, and then the Restart option.
Press and hold the F2 key when the screen goes black, and wait for the BIOS setup utility to launch. If your system cannot boot into Windows , shut down the computer completely, then press F2 while powering back on.

Select Security -> Secure Boot, and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration, and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
To save the change and exit the BIOS setup, press F10. 

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

How are you getting on with this santsteve.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I still haven't resolved the issue. I only have a basic knowledge of computers and with everything in Chinese, I am limited. I do want to thank everybody for their suggestions and I really do appreciate it.

santsteve

santsteve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I went into a retail computer store today and tried the steps to change the language default on a store demo that was similar to mine. The process worked as outlined by the suggestions in previous posts and I could click on another language.

On my computer, when I get to region and language and then click on '+' the screen reverts to screensaver. Do I have a corrupted copy of win 10? My computer originally came with win 8.1 and was set up for me when I picked it up at the store, although there was no conversation or explanation given to me as they were very busy at the time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My computer originally came with win 8.1 and was set up for me when I picked it up at the store, although there was no conversation or explanation given to me as they were very busy at the time.

No matter how busy the store was that is very unprofessional  :(

The ISO steps that I suggested allow you to create an ISO on any computer meaning that you can use a computer with an English OS to download your ISO in English and then install on your computer, that said though, I would be straight back to the store and have them put it right as what you have been provided with is not fit for purpose.