Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uh oh...

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
yeah so I just built my probably.. 3rd computer, and everything was going great and I had set it all up and everything was in good ocndition except I noticed my cpu was a bit hot but I am using arctic silver 5 and I thought maybe it needed to settle in or something I had read in the instructions for it, anyways in te bios it said the proc was at 65 C and in the OS it was reported as 55 C its one of those new Pentium D 830 3ghz procs and I thought since it has two cores and all maybe it was normal but I starting playing a game and about 5 minutes into it my computer shut off, This has never happened to me before so at first maybe I thought it was an automatic shut down because of the temp of the cpu so I let it cool off for about a a half hour to an hour and tried again but when I push it it does nothing for half a second and then the lights come on for even less than a half second and then dies again, I felt my power supply and it was hot as [bleep] when it initially crashed so i'm wondering if the power supply was fried or something its a 400 W the rest of the comp is a ASUS P5WD2 a radeon X800XL 2 gb of ram with 4 sticks of ddr2 800 corsair 512mb strangely though it won't run at 800 even though the mobo says it supports it and a ati tv tuner, it has 4 hard drives in it and 2 cd rom drives and of other stuff that sucks power. So I need a better opinion than mine on what happened with the comp could the proc have fried? or the whole mobo or what?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
First off that power supply was far to small in my opinion did you check the power requirements of you system before you bought it, dual cpus need more power than normal cpus and the graphics card isnt a lightweight either so that may be the problem.

When you use all your available slots for ram the memory speed capable decreases eg. ddr400 becomes effeectively ddr333 and so on it tell you this in your motherboard manual.

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
alright yeah that explains why the mobo put it at 533 mhz I'm gonna go get a better power supply today see if that helps.. I just hope nothing was fried besides the power.

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok I tested the 400 and it was comlpetely dead so I got a 485 ener...something.. now hopefully this doesn't die.