Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Required continued (Resolved).

Best Answer joybz , 09 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

Hello Phil, Just to confirm that i believe this issue to be closed. I have tweaked CPU settings and reduced load on the CPU by limiting the background applications in use. Performance still... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi Guys,

Recently posted a topic. But was advised to repost rather than reply to my old post.

Here: http://www.geekstogo...grade-required/

I have purchased the full game now BF1 but found that im still suffering the same issues.

I have upgraded to an R9 Fury as I needed the extra Display ports over my R9 290.

Currently running in 1440p at around a solid 120fps in single player. However multiplayer starts around 80-100 when stationary but moving or hitting action drops FPS closer to 35fps.

Could this be a RAM issue? or even a CPU issue?

Would upgrading to 16gb of ram benefit me?

Thanks,

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello joybz,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you joybz, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi Phill,

I purchased some more ram and tried that out, ive also tried unparking my cores and run a virus/malware/reg fix scans on my system (Hadn't done for almost a year). It does seem to have helped alot, but im still getting those drops to less than 35fps. 

Ill give speccy a go, however i was a little confused about exactly how to use it and though ill try that later, although later hasnt happened yet! 

I will post them up as i appreciate the assitance.

Thanks again.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Ahh worked out the speccy software.

Here is the URL: http://speccy.pirifo...PioBywc73gsoWxT

Thanks again,

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I've been trawling forums and it looks like BF1 has an issue with cpu usage right now, I'm part or a large number of people suffering the same issues with cpu 100% load constantly, with drops in fps into the 30 region while managing to get 90-120fps normally.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Only thing that I am seeing in Speccy is that you have high memory usage 42 % to be exact, that is high for a computer that is doing very little.

I note that you have AVG, is it a paid for product or free, reason I ask is because it is a known resource hog.

Two things for you to do, check Task Manager to see what is using up your RAM.

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hello Phil,

Speccy was run while i was using the PC but not gaming, when gaming almost all the tasks are closed. 

I will rerun speccy with no processes, how i have my pc setup when i first launch a game or even while im gaming and repost for you.

I will also screenshot with the software you asked me to send in aswell.

I dont normally use AVG I simply downloaded it to check for viruses in the last week or so, im running the trial version of PRO right now.

Thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello joybz,

Below is my canned info regarding AVG and the new Windows Defender AV protection;

AVG is a known hog on system resources and will slow your computer down, it is also not as good an AV protection as it once was and using an alternative free AV that offers very good protection and is also light on system resources is recommended, for operating systems previous to Windows 8.1 Avast or MSE would be what I would suggest, for good quality free protection in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 use Windows Defender, Windows Firewall or Comodo (free), MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Uninstall AVG using the proper removal tool from here once AVG has been uninstalled it is important that you check that Windows Defender has been automatically re enabled and please allow it to both scan your computer and update.

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you joybz, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Phil,

Just to confirm that i believe this issue to be closed.

I have tweaked CPU settings and reduced load on the CPU by limiting the background applications in use. 

Performance still isnt perfect but is looking much better.

Reading articles on BF1 performance does seem to show that a modern i5 or preferably an i7 is the best option if players are looking for a solid 60+FPS with no dips into the 30's (no matter the graphical settings)

Thanks again for all your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello joybz,

Thanks for letting us know that you consider the issue resolved as best that it can be and for sharing your suggestions so that they may help others  :thumbsup:

You are welcome and once again thanks for the follow up  :)