Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SPLDR has not been started. (Resolved).

Best Answer Paul432220 , 23 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hi, I can inform you my PC is running fine again !I had some trouble finding a Win 7 SP1 32 bit Pro Dutch version. When i followed the links you provided me,  i had to key in my WIN 7 key... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Paul432220

Paul432220

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

I'm having a strange situation on a W7 Pro  SP1 PC. I could not check for updates, error C0000022 when i try to do so.

I have ran:

1/  chkdsk /F

2/ sfc /scannow

3/ returned to last good configuration

4/deactivated Norton for a 15min.  

but none of the above worked.

In searching further, i found out that for some unclear reason, my windows license key is not visible anymore in the control panel\system window.... 

I tried activating it, but then found out that the "Software protection service" is not running, when i try to start it manually, i get a message that it cannot start as a file

is missing, but no info what file ?

In looking into the event viewer, i saw that the spldr driver was not started (message right after the reboot).

I believe all is related to each other, the update cannot work because there is no license key, the software protection service is not running so update probably needs it, etc...

It's not clear to me how to get out of this, but it looks to me that this spldr could be the cause of all as it is the first error message i see.

Any thoughts ?

thanks.

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Not clear to me if this is a supported answer or if "Freebooter" is publicity that is thrown into the post...??

Can someone  clarify this ?

thanks

Paul

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

This tool is freeware and made to help correct Windows errors why not advertise the software if needed but i'm not i use this software to repair many Windows errors.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,487 posts

Not clear to me if this is a supported answer or if "Freebooter" is publicity that is thrown into the post...??

Can someone  clarify this ?

thanks

Paul

Hello Paul432220,

Nothing wrong with the suggestion made by FreeBooter, the AIO tool is able to fix multiple issues when only being run only the once, this removes the need for step by step instructions in a members topic and more often than not it gets things back to normal for the end user far quicker, please see my canned info below;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

In addition to the above, do you have the product key for your Windows 7 Pro, just in case it needs to be reactivated, if needs be run Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder (free) write down your product key details, store them somewhere safe and share them with no one else.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,487 posts

Not heard back from you Paul432220, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Sorry for the delay, i was out on a trip...

I ran the FreeBooter, the AIO tool  but that has not changed my issue of the SPLDR not being started. 

I also still have an issue with the Windows key, as Win 7 seems to have lost it...

Any suggestions as to what should be the next step ?

thanks, Paul.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

If the key you used was from a sticker attached to the computer in question then it is an OEM:COA key and CAN NOT be activated online against MS servers. Attempting to do so will generate an invalid key error. OEM:COA keys require OFFLINE activation requiring phoning MS's automated toll free number in order to complete the activation process. It will give you a code based upon your OEM key and the hash that Windows calculates based upon your computer's hardware. You complete the activation process by entering that code into the Windows activation dialogues.

To use OEM:COA key offline activation type slui.exe 4 + enter into the Search dialogue box of the Start menu. If UAC prompts indicate Yes and follow the ensuing dialogue windows. Note have a pen and paper handy in order to write down the confirmation code as you will need to enter it in the appropriate dialogue window if activation was SUCCESSFUL. If the process was NOT successful, stay on the line and you will be transferred to a human operator to which you can plead your case  If you get disconnected, simply phone back but this time say nothing at the automated process where it asks you to enter your key, instead wait the two repeated requests in silence and you will be transferred to a live agent.

If your machine came with Windows 7 preinstalled it used a manufacturer's OEM:SLP (System Locked Pre-installation) key and digitally signed certificates matching a BIOS SLIC entry to OFFLINE activate at the factory. The OEM:SLP offline activation requires no call to MS. Note that OEM:SLP key CAN NOT be used to activate unless both the BIOS SLIC table exists AND the correct matching certificate is available. To restore using OEM:SLP keys and certificates legally but if and only if Windows 7 came preinstalled on that computer then my post here will detail how to do so.

If you have a sticker on your computer, then it came with Windows pre-installed from the factory and that original activation used an OEM:SLP manufacturer's key and a digitally signed certificate matching a BIOS SLIC signature. It will NOT have been activated using the OEM:COA key presented on the sticker. You can activate your machine LEGALLY using that maufacturer's OEM:SLP key that is used for tens of thousands of its' machines and the digitally signed certificate matching the one in the SLIC entry of the ACPI table in your BIOS. Doing so will activate it just as the factory had done AND IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO DO SO. If you can find the correct certificate and the manufacturer's SLP key then you can activate it using the command line and this construct. You will not need the OEM:COA key of the sticker at all.

First ensure you have a SLIC 2.1 table in your BIOS using this tool https://forums.mydig...mp-Cert-Backup)It will also identify the signature where some manufacturer's have more than one signature for different models. The certificate MUST match your BIOS signature. You can find certificates here https://forums.mydig...ll=1#post514521

Then once you have the correct certificate open an elevated command prompt and enter:

slmgr -ilc C:\NAME.xrm-ms where C:\NAME.xrm-ms is the path and name where the correct certificate currently resides.

Wait for confirmation of the cert being installed.

Next enter your manufacturer's SLP key matching the edition of Windows installed generally Home Premium. Note bit version x86 or x64 is immaterial. You can find the OEM:SLP keys here http://forums.mydigi...ds...Collection

slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX replace each X with the appropriate letter/number

Wait for confirmation

You will have activated Windows offline using the same process in which your manufacturer originally activated your preinstalled O/S at the factory.

You can check your activation status using the following command line sequences:

slmgr -dli
slmgr -xpr
slmgr -dlv

There will be a pause between each command's reporting feedback. BTW in future once activated using the OEM:SLP key and certificate use ABR http://directedge.us...kup-and-restoreto backup and to restore that SLP key and certificate activation for future use. Had you done so BEFORE reinstalling Windows you would have saved your self a lot of hassles.

Edited by FreeBooter, 12 November 2016 - 08:52 PM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Check the Event Viewer console for Software protection service error logs and let us have the error message for the Software protection service. You can open the Event Viewer by typing Event Viewer into Start Menu search box.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Entry for the Software protection service below (sorry Win7 is installed in Dutch!)

============================================================

Logboeknaam:   System
Bron:          Service Control Manager
Datum:         13/11/2016 11:09:16
Gebeurtenis-id:7023
Taakcategorie: Geen
Niveau:        Fout
Trefwoorden:   Klassiek
Gebruiker:     n.v.t.
Computer:      Computer-PC
Beschrijving:
De Software Protection-service is gestopt met de volgende foutcode: 
Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden..
Gebeurtenis-XML:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-11-13T10:09:16.588241400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>344261</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="612" ThreadID="748" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Computer-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Software Protection</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">%%2</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

And the SPLDR error as well below

Logboeknaam:   System
Bron:          Service Control Manager
Datum:         13/11/2016 11:07:15
Gebeurtenis-id:7026
Taakcategorie: Geen
Niveau:        Fout
Trefwoorden:   Klassiek
Gebruiker:     n.v.t.
Computer:      Computer-PC
Beschrijving:
De volgende opstartstuurprogramma's zijn niet geladen: 
spldr
Gebeurtenis-XML:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-11-13T10:07:15.607072300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>344210</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="612" ThreadID="616" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Computer-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">
spldr</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Advertisements

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hi,

maybe somewhat basic as a question, but i don't see a ACPI section in the BIOS (maybe it is hidden...), the PC is an Acer Veriton M490G.

On the link https://forums.mydig...mp-Cert-Backup), i can't see a tool to read the BIOS content... seems i need to register first, but what should i be looking for once registered ? 

thanks.

Paul.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Please read my post #8 i have explained why you need tool to ensure you have a SLIC 2.1 table in your BIOS.

Have you tried the System Restore tool to restore Windows to a date when it was working without any errors.

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostics Tool by below link.

http://download.micr...1AA/MGADiag.exe

"[FIX] Windows Could Not Start The Software Protection Service On Local Computer"

http://www.kapilarya...tection-service

"Event ID 7023 — Service Stop Operations"

https://technet.micr...ror=-2147217396

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hi,

In the BIOS, i only see one reference to ACPI, it carries a value "OS ready", so i assume this is OK.

I ran the MGADIAG exe, i attach a screenshot below with the output...at first sight to me this looks OK.

I went over the  "Windows Could Not Start The Software Protection Service On Local Computer"  item, sppsvc did not have the "full" rights, so i adapted this in the registry, but i still have the SPLDR message after rebooting the PC....

Finally, i could not find a certificate on the site you indicated for my Acer PC, i did found one on my hard drive in the \windows\system32\OEM directory with the name 

Acer0A21.xrm-ms....maybe this is the certificate file i need...? 

thanks, Paul.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

MGADIAG.jpg

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

You can do repair install of Windows 7 to fix your currently installed Windows 7 and preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system drivers.

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"

http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html