Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first ever performance rig

• Please log in to reply

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hello,

As my topic states, I'm looking to build my first ever computer from the ground up. I've had a few gaming/performance computers before, but they've all been pre-built. I don't want to limit my budget too much on this as I'm looking to splurge a little to get something that will last me and be 'future-proof', so to speak. However, I am new to this and want to make sure that the list i've compiled is compatible with eachother as I've been buying the parts little by little as I see them go on sale(Also expecting big things on Cyber Monday next month).

Anyway, here's my list:

One thing I've heard people mention in reviews is that the GPU can't really handle anything past 1080P otherwise it starts to bottleneck. So 1440P or 4K is not good for that specific graphics card, which is what I'm trying to go for with the monitor I'm trying to get.  The CPU was between the the 6800k and the 5820k, I still haven't bought this one yet, looking to see if anything might go down in price, but I hear that there isn't much of a difference to either other than price?

The Mobo is probably one of the biggest things i'm confused with, choosing one doesn't feel easy and looking at the descriptions for them feels like a convoluted process. I chose the MSI as I'm looking to fit a specific color scheme as well. And that was ultimately why I chose it over anything else, which is probably not a good determining factor.

This is a topic that I may like to continue to update as I receive everything and build it(and may need assistance), assuming the items on the list are compatible and/switch things out per advice.

The be quiet items I wanted to pair together to follow a coordinated theme for the build.

Lastly, do I need the optical? I know you can install OS on  USB thumbdrive, but is the process really difficult? How about drivers?

Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back Rx7HKS.

Your selected parts will work together.   I know it is your dream machine, but the advixe we gav for your March 2014 build still holds true today.   An i7-6600K CPU, because of its stock speed and Turbo Boost, (for gaming) will outperform all the Broadwell-E CPUs. 

"Starting with stock performance, for gaming the difference between the fastest modern Intel processor and the slowest Intel part we've tested is ten percent. In other words, you could build a gaming rig with the fastest consumer graphics card, the GTX 1080 (we'll leave out the non-consumer Titan X), and at most you're losing ten percent by running with an i5-6400 compared to the i7-6700K. But that also brings up another interesting point: All of the Broadwell-E and Haswell-E systems are actually slightly slower in overall gaming performance than the i7-6700K, and even the i5-6600K. For gaming, there's really little need to move to Intel's 'enthusiast' X99 platform."

Source, > http://www.pcgamer.c...7-6800k-review/

As you say you have purchased some parts, so some comments,  observations. 

Providing you do not intend SLI, the MB is OK, reading Newegg reviews, purchasers  complain that the 2  PCI-E  slots are too close together, causing heat issues, and customer service is a bit lame.

A 850w PSU, even for SLI, is more than enough. 

One thing I've heard people mention in reviews is that the GPU can't really handle anything past 1080P otherwise it starts to bottleneck. So 1440P or 4K is not good for that specific graphics card,

Most pro reviews I have read show no problems with 1440P with max settings.   4K is a bit mixed, can be  game dependent, so look for reviews for the games you play.  This review also shows that running the GTX 1080 @ 8x PCI-e Gen 3.0 (for a single card) has verually no impact.  > http://www.gamersnex...-impact-on-gpus

Lastly, do I need the optical? I know you can install OS on  USB thumbdrive, but is the process really difficult? How about drivers?

I would always try to include an optical drive, it is less hassle to just pop in a disk for both MB drivers, media that is delivered to you and friends videos.

Please let us know if you want to make changes to the parts list and exactly the ones you have already got.

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hello and thank you for taking the time to help me!

I read the review and that's nice to hear. So, if I decided to go with the Skylake 6700K, would that mean having to get a different motherboard? an LGA1151 board? Which board would you recommend? They noted also on their review that if you were a streamer, the 6800K seems like the way to go. I would like to use this machine for live streaming purposes. I typically run my games with other apps that enhance my stream or game and take up processing memory.

But some gamers like to do more than just game, so if you're routinely doing live streaming, or perhaps some video editing, the minuscule loss in gaming performance is more than compensated for by the large jump in CPU performance.

Currently I have the GPU, SSD and am planning to get the 'be quiet' parts over the weekend here as they're on a sale. However I may downgrade to a lower wattage version of the PSU after your recommendation. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.   I hope your shopping went well.

on their review that if you were a streamer, the 6800K seems like the way to go. I would like to use this machine for live streaming purposes. I typically run my games with other apps that enhance my stream or game and take up processing memory.

In that case, go back to the 6800K.

Please consider using a different MB,   The MSI gets poor reviews, also seen that although a Samsung 850 Pro is listed as supported, not your model, it is also not supported without a BIOS update.

Keeping in mind your colour scheme, the Asus Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 supports the MZ-75E1T0.

MB > http://www.asus.com/...SB_31/overview/

> compare, > http://www.newegg.co...-516^13-132-516

Changed the optical drive for a basic one.

Black RAM.

850w PSU.

>  http://pcpartpicker.com/list/CdRx9W

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Happy Halloween!

I've thought about it a lot and I think I may take your advice and go for the 6700k with LGA1151 Mobo. Everything i've read says the 6700 is by far better for the price with very minimal loss. 

Thank you for all of your help so far by the way. I was looking at some of the reviews from the ASUS board that you mentioned and I was a little concerned with the amount of recent negative reviews it has received. I suppose it won't really matter much if I end up moving forward with an LGA1151 board. Though again I was looking at an MSI one, and this is purely based off scheme, and positive reviews. 

Here's the LGA1151 MSI board I was looking at - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130873

I was also a little concerned now that there's the possibility that it has to be compatible with my SSD, which I'm not sure where to see this, I just figured it was universal with these boards. I only see a lot of M.2. being thrown around in the specs and comments. 

I swapped around some of the items based on your suggestion for the other parts.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK :thumbsup:  We can swap around until you are happy with the parts.

Would you prefer to stay with MSI?

If your colour scheme is important? note the board you linked has red highlights. 

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi,

Yes I think I'd prefer to stay with that MSI board. Is there an LGA1151 alternative to the ASUS you mentioned that you think would be better for me? Will it work with my current SSD? 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Update.

Your linked MSI Z170A gaming 5 LGA 1151 Motherboard will be good to use.   A Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) has been tested, so your 1TB SSD should be OK as other brand 1TB SSDs are supported.

Review, > http://www.hardocp.c.../7#.WBg2UtSGOCg.

Download the Manual, > https://us.msi.com/M....html#down-bios.

Revised parts list >https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zk8Zjc

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you,

I know it's been a little while since I posted, but I was waiting for after the holidays to see what I could find for a deal.

I ended up getting almost everything that I need.

I only need to buy the RAM, Optical and OS. I was however considering getting a secondary storage HDD and was wondering if the following would work with my board:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822235013

Thanks again!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Rx7HKS..

Thanks for the update, keep them coming.   It does take time when looking for bargains.

Yes, that drive would be great for backups/system images and storage.

Your welcome :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sooooo I should have everything sometime this week! (Picture of all items to follow soon) :) 

I'm actually a little nervous and excited about assembling everything together, hoping it goes well. If I run into any issues while building, should I reply to this thread, or open a new one?

I just wanted to say thank you for all the help so far, this forum and everyone has always been really helpful for just about everything!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Being a bit nervous is natural, just don't rush the job and if a little hiccup occurs, stop and post here while building.

I would think you ave been looking at guides on How To, any questions?

Your MB has links to uTube,   I would not use the spread method of applying TIM, quite hard to get correct, needs plenty of practice.  (Note that the installer is using disposable surgical gloves, like I do, takes care of ESD and contamination from body oils when handling sensitive parts.    Best way is a single blob of paste, about the size of a garden pea, in the centre of the CPU, then lower down the cooler and fasten in place.

Please consider using this process as part of  building.

Install the I/O shield from the MB box.

Check the standoffs on the MB mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the MB, no extra ones.

Install the psu.

Put the MB on top of the empty MB box.

Install the CPU.

Install any mounting hardware for the cooler.

Apply TIM.

Mount the cooler.

connect the cooler fan to CPU1 header on the MB.

Install the RAM.

Install the MB in the case, then carry on with the rest of the build. 

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you for all of the advice,

I did what you suggested(with the exception of the cpu cooler, unfortunately) and finished the build (and installed the OS just last night). I want to believe I installed all of the drivers from the MSI website and will try to finish up today.

The process was  a little difficult for me and it took me a few days of a small sessions of tinkering with everything and referring back to how-to videos. The problem with a lot of the videos was that there wasn't enough advice for the Be Quiet! brand stuff, and the instructions/diagrams on the manuals are never clear. The CPU cooler was a beast and a pain to get installed for me, especially knowing that I had to get it right the first time once I applied the TIM(and i'll show you some pictures when I get home in another reply), and it was so big that I couldn't see if they were being mounted onto the screws properly, so I removed the top of the case to see overhead while applying the cooler with the case standing upright. My concern there was if the TIM would begin to drip from the center of where I applied it while in the process of mounting it. 

Other than that, the computer looks amazing now that it's done! I'm very happy with it.

Everything seems to work properly(i believe) so far. I'd love to run some benchmarks and I'd like to try my hand at overclocking the CPU and Memory if possible just to see if I can get it up to a safe OC without pushing it too far. Is there any safe way to do that? I saw MSI provides some wizards in their BIOS that do these things for you, but is that optimal? 

Thanks again!!

Edited by Rx7HKS, 12 December 2016 - 05:00 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's good news you have it up and running.  Please keep the updates coming, as knowing the results is helpful to all.

I reckon the majority of cooler manuals are lousy, and again, fitting them once the MB is installed, is awkward.   That's why i nearly always us Noctua.  The TIM would be OK, might sag if you left it for a couple of days, 

When you have installed the driver and fully updated the OS, you should test the system, gives you peace of mind you did things correctly.  make notes of your scores as ref for when you try overclocking   Have a read, > http://blog.logicali...esting-your-pc/

run Prime95, 

Run Furmark, The forum for scores or bug report, is here: GPU tools @ Geeks3D.com Forums

Run Valley Benchmark.

Run Mem Test.

I don't do much in the way of overclocking.   The built in tools included with most MBs are safe and and can give good results.].   Your MB site is where I would start for more advice if you want to get serious.   Being cynic, claims for big results, for me, need to be backed up with validated test results.

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi,

So late post again, but I did experiment with some overclocking and watched a lot of videos and all. I ran some of the tests you recommended here and everything has worked great, no errors or anything, until now... 

At first I overclocked my GPU using EVGA Precision XOC and did a lot of testing and it was great.

Then the real issues started happening when I OC'd my CPU and Memory. I didn't try to do anything complicated in the BIOS, but I set my CPU up to 46(4.6ghz) clock and left the voltage at Auto, because that was the setting that would allow my PC to not shut off. For the Memory I just clicked on XMP Profile enable so that it would run at its advertised speed. Everything worked for a few days perfectly until today.

I was only watching youtube this morning and my computer crashed, and it went on an ongoing loop to try and reenter the Windows. I figured it had to do something with the OC. My GPU overclock is only active when I enable it through EVGA precision, and it was turned off. So I decided to rule that out as a possibility. 

I reverted back to all original settings in the BIOS for OC, and even turned off XMP Profile, but it still was unable to get into Windows. Sometimes it enters, but it freezes almost instantaneously and restarts. I tried Safe Mode and that was okay for a moment, but when I tried to get on the web it crashed. It seemed BIOS was the only safe place to not crash, until now. It ended up crashing in the BIOS as well. I'm not sure what to do, but it seems that things are getting worse. :( 

I decided to test out the RAM to see if anything had happened, I plugged in my USB with Memtest on it and ran the test, and it froze at Test #2 with a 16% pass mark. So I can't even get it to complete the test to see. I tried removing a stick of RAM, and even using the RAM in DIMM 4 and place it in DIMM 2 to test each one individually, but they both freeze at the same exact place. I'm not sure if it's my Memory or my CPU.

I'm really at a loss and everything i've searched on the web seems to point at different things, with people having slight issues in different areas, so it's hard for me to diagnose on my own. 

Here's some things I've tried to recap:

1. Memtest(Switched RAM around)

2. Reverted back to stock BIOS settings

3. Booted in Safemode

4. Unplugged power for 30 seconds

I kind of regret trying to OC now haha.=/

Please help :)