Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first ever performance rig

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Rx7HKS

Sorry for the lack of response.   I am going to be away for a while and am asking Phillpower2 to give you some help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

With the computer disconnected from the wall socket and after removing the side of the case do the following;

Press the chassis power on button.

Ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Remove the add on video card.

Remove the CMOS battery and again press the chassis power on button to get rid of any residual charge in the system.

Check that the HS is still firmly/correctly mounted.

Check that all internal connections are secure, the same for the CPU fan.

Replace the CMOS battery.

Connect your screen to the appropriate video port on the MB.

Leaving the side of the case connect the main power cord to the PC + wall socket, power up while watching the behaviour of the CPU cooling fan.

I have purposely not mentioned the RAM above and for the following reason, I don`t see an onboard speaker on the MB that would normally help us with our troubleshooting, depending on your update it may be necassary for you to obtain such a speaker as in the attachment below so that we can check out the RAM and memory slots on the MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for stepping up Phillpower2 while I was away.

Gday Rx7HKS.

How is the troubleshooting going? any results for us?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

You are most welcome iammykyl  :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Rx7HKS.

Not heard back from you for a while!!   If you have fixed your issue, or still need help? please let us know.   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the assistance. I've been busy the last couple of weeks and have been procrastinating working on the PC any more as I fear for the worst that something is defective now. 

Anyway, I just tried everything Phill mentioned in the original post and the CPU fan seems to function normally all the way through, as with the case fans as well. The computer booted into the DOS menu as a result of replacing the CMOS battery, but it froze shortly before I got to choose an option of how to boot the PC. I restarted the PC again and it went through the usual endless loop of windows attempt to repair itself before eventually freezing in place again. 

Here's a photo of the initial DOS menu.

I guess the one thing I can say is that, from the moment I started noticing the issue and tried to fix it, it only progressively got worse and worse with each restart. I used to be allowed in the BIOS menu for some time to set things to default and boot up, but now I don't get much time in there before the PC locks up again.   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170114_184916.jpg

Edited by Rx7HKS, 14 January 2017 - 09:03 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear problems persist.   Some possible causes, Overheating, flaky PSU, faulty RAM, We need to do a bench test to troubleshoot properly.   You will not be able to test the RAM until you have installed a MB speaker, reply #17.   Carry out these steps as given by Phillpower2.

With the computer disconnected from the wall socket and after removing the side of the case do the following;

Press the chassis power on button.  

Ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Remove the add on video card.

Then.

Disconnect all wiring to the MB, leave the CPU fan plug connected.

Remove the RAM and place each stick in it's own numbered envelope.

Remove the MB and place it on the empty MB box, close to the side of the case.

Connect the two main power cables from the PSU.

Recheck that the cooler fan is plugged into CPU 1 on the MB.

Switch on the PSU.

With the tip of  your Philips head screwdriver, briefly touch pins #6 and #8 to power on the computer, (Page #6 of your User Manual)

The PSU fan should start, (may stop quickly if the PSU has thermal control)

The CPU fan should spin up and keep going.   Let it run for about half an hour, then power off and please post the result.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

How is the troubleshooting going?   Have you fixed the problem or still need help?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi there, sorry for the long response again. It was partially  because I ordered the MB speaker and was waiting for it.

I did everything(I think I messed up the USB 3.0 header pins on the mobo in the process.)

The results:

1. 3 Long Beeps at startup (CPU fan is running normally, does not stop.) MSI board has a little digital screen that says 'E0'. Board runs and stays running for the whole half hour quietly. 

I did a quick google search for it and everyone says that it's memory failure. But I know I was told to remove the RAM, so I'm figuring that is why? There's no memory to detect. Also I did disconnect practically everything besides the power from the PSU. Only things connected to the MB other than that is the CPU/CPU Fan, and the Speaker. No HDD's, No video/external cards, no RAM.

Bonus: Here's a photo of the USB socket pins that I think I bent. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170129_141820.jpg

Edited by Rx7HKS, 29 January 2017 - 04:21 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Yep you bent the pins.   Please do the below tests first, the see the quide for bent pins.   It is for CPU ones, but will do for the USB header.   

Your test is done correctly and the result is OK, beep telling you no RAM detected as non is installed.

Test #1.  is to install one stick of RAM in the correct slot, DIMM #2, 

Power on, The beep code will change and the digital screen code changes, (see also page #37 MB manual, EZ Debug LED) (No display or HDD), power off.   If OK.

Test #2. Install the second RAM stick in DIMM #4, (MB manual page #27.)   Test. If OK..

Test #3. Attach the keyboard and mouse, (PS/2 preferred) if USB, use the top 2 ports on the MB, Test.   Watch the Keyboard, LEDs should flash and the numeric  LED stay lit.   Power off. If OK.

Test #4.   Attach the monitor to a port on the MB, power on the monitor, Test.   The beep code and display will change.   A message will be displayed on the screen???   Power off. 

Please post results. 

If you need any clarification, post before doing the repair.   Use Method  #2, the propelling pencil method to get the pins as streight as possible without bending other pins, Bend a little at a time, then use Method #3 to push them the final bit.  > http://www.wikihow.c...t-Pins-on-a-CPU

Advertisements

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi thank you for responding so fast,

Okay so I went through the tests and these are my results:

Test #1: No beeps at startup, or at all; Digital Code - d7

Test #2: No beeps at startup, or at all; Digital Code - d7

Test #3: No beeps at all; Keyboard flashed;Numpad LED stays lit, as with Mouse as well; Digital Code - A2

Test #4: No beeps at all; Monitor display goes directly to the BIOS(screenshot below);Digital Code - A6

The BIOS didn't freeze on me like it did before, but I'm not sure what that means at this point. I only left it on the BIOS for about 10 minutes before powering off again.

I haven't attempted to try and repair the USB pins yet, but I will take a look at the guide soon!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170130_164002.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: All looks good.   You may no longer hear beeps once the RAM has been detected and no errors as at that point default beep is disabled.   Been through your manual and can't find any management for beep behavior, may be possible to enable it in the OS.

We Need to make sure the board is set to defaults.

1.   Power on and press the Delete key to enter  Setup, (BIOS), > press the F6 key, > confirm by selecting yes > press enter.   The computer will restart to BIOS. > power off.

Unfortunately bent pins are seldom covered by warranty.  Options for bent pins.

Attempt a repair and hope for success, must be done while on the bench.   Leave as is and do without front USB 3.0,Whichever you decide,  let us know then will give the next steps.  

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi,

That sounds great! I am currently at work while reading this and will try it as soon as I get home. If once that is done, would I be okay to reassemble everything into the case? What if the problem persists? Would it have anything to do with my hard drives, or possibly OS?

Did this rule out the possibility of there being an error with the CPU, Motherboard and memory?

Once again, thank you so much for helping me with this!!  :yes:  :headhurt:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi,

That sounds great! I am currently at work whilewould I be okay to reassemble everything into the case? What if the problem persists? Would it have anything to do with my hard drives, or possibly OS?

Did this rule out the possibility of there being an error with the CPU, Motherboard and memory?

Once again, thank you so much for helping me with this!!  :yes:  :headhurt:

No, do not reassemble.   The test only shows that the parts work, they are not under any stress.

You can test the Memory while I try and find a CPU test, problem there is that I need one that includes a temp output.

Download MemTest86 V7.2 Free Edition (the Image for creating bootable USB Drive) save to the desktop. >http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

then read the instruction "Create a bootable USB Flash drive:" from this page, > http://www.memtest86...chnical.htm#win

Further down that page is Usage.

Please remember to always turn off the PSU when working on the MB.

Insert the stick into a top port on the MB, > turn on the monitor/PSU, > power on and press the F11 key to bring up the Boot Manager 

select the USB, > press enter. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Just been playing with the RAM test and noticed there is a CPU temp reading, middle top.