Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer runs slow after on for a long time then fine after reboot (th

- - - - -

Best Answer scomar , 10 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

Turns out it was Norton Security causing the issue.  Must have been a recent Win 10 update that caused it.  I have uninstalled it and it works great. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello,

My system:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • HP Envy 700-215xt
  • Processor Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
  • Ram 8 GB
  • 64 Bit operating system
  • 2 year old desktop tower
  • I run Norton Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium for the last year

My issue:

About 2 week ago my computer started to run slow when webpages load(I typically leave my computer on 24/7) so I rebooted and it started to run just fine.  Then about 24-36 hours later I noticed it running slow again when loading webpages.  By running slow I mean, the mouse would freeze up as I would try to move it while the page was loading, once the page loads the mouse moves around freely.  I do not notice the mouse freeze while loading large computer programs such as full version of Photoshop or Power Director.  It only seams to happen when loading webpages.  This holds true no matter if I use Chrome, Firefox or Edge.  So it has consistently started running slow after being on for 24 to 48 hours.  It seems to get worse the longer it is on, but always runs fine after a reboot.  It also seems that the webpages load faster after a reboot compare to before the reboot when my mouse freezes 

What I have tried:

1. Ran anti-virus scans with Norton, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware Free version and no viruses were found
  2. Updated mouse drivers
  3. Move my wireless mouse dongle to another usb port and replaced batteries in mouse
  4. Task manager shows my memory running at 50% to 65%.  I have reduced the number of startup programs and got the memory down to 40% but still have the same issue
  5. Ran CHKDSK which showed no issues
  6. Ran a memory check which showed no issues

Any help with this matter would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Scomar 

Edited by scomar, 29 October 2016 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks for your input FreeBooter, but my computer was running very efficiently until a few weeks ago, so I do not think run programs to help speed it help is going to resolve my issue.  

The weirdest part of this for me is how after I reboot my computer runs just like it did a few weeks ago,  Screaming fast no matter how many programs I had open.  I am having trouble figuring out what can be causing it to slow down when it is left on for more than 24 hours.

Thanks for your help anyways FreeBooter.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
✓  Best Answer

Turns out it was Norton Security causing the issue.  Must have been a recent Win 10 update that caused it.  I have uninstalled it and it works great.