Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing a range of folders in alphabetical order from my HDD.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have a WD Green in  my Windows 10 PC that I use for to hold my media for my shared library across my home network.  I have 2 folders which I break up content #-M and N-Z.
I realized today I'm missing all folders starting with n-p and Also #-c.

I use Kodi Media player which syncs the content from over the network.  I just did a full resync about a week ago and All content synced (i can view the metadata scrapped into kodi so I know the content existed at that point).

As of tonight Those links for files in the folders mentioned above are dead which tipped me off that something was wrong.

I tried showing hidden folders.   I tried searching for anything odd with windirstat.  I did a search through all of my PC for folders (maybe I just accidentally moved them) but no luck.

I tried running "chkdsk /r" based on a forum post I saw.

This was  the log file but I dont think it shows anything-  (Files still missing)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
© 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk d: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y
Volume dismounted.  All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is Media.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
                                                                                                                                                                  19712 file records processed.
File verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                  250 large file records processed.
                                                                                                                                                                  0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
                                                                                                                                                                  23888 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                  0 unindexed files scanned.
                                                                                                                                                                  0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                  2089 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                                                                                                                                                                  6617400 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  19696 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  336869760 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

2861424 MB total disk space.
1582427588 KB in 16788 files.
     10600 KB in 2090 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    181964 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
1347479044 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 732524799 total allocation units on disk.
 336869761 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I'm pretty stuck. Its my media drive so Its not mission critical but I dont bother keeping digital backups of most of it because its just digital entertainment stuff and Id need massive amounts of space to do that.

Any ideas?   Is the HDD likely dying?  could it be a Virus?  what do you recommend?

Advertisements

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Use ShadowExplorer program restore files and folders from Windows created system restore points which contain shadow copies of your C: partition files and folders.

You can also use Recuva program to try recover deleted files.

That appears to be working.  It found a batch of files and im recovering now.  Any idea what would cause this? would a failing drive randomly just delete certain files in basically alphabetical order?

Edited by brisingr, 31 October 2016 - 12:56 AM.