Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to speed up file transfer between external hard drives using my La

• Please log in to reply

londonkj

londonkj

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hi GTG!

I have a massive amount of files to move about my various external hard drives, and it is taking forever!

Do you clever people know of a way to improve the speed of the file transfers? I tried to move some movies earlier and it took over 11 minutes!

many thanks!

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Which interface you are using to connect external storage drive?

First defragment the both storage drives.

Second disable antivirus program.

Third disable User Account Control (UAC).

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 November 2016 - 11:28 AM.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hi Freebooter.

not sure what you mean by interface, but its USB cable between ext hardrives and my laptop which is running windows 7.

I will try your steps and get back!

what sort of speed should I get do you think? it starts at about 30 MB/S and is now at about 15 and getting slower...

how do I disable UAC?

thanks.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Interface refers to connecting with another computer or piece of equipment by an interface (port, slot). USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). The USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum. Write speeds often fall far below read speeds as well. The transfer speed can depend on external storage drive Revolutions per minute (RPM) speed. These USB standard speed are never include factors that can slow down read and right speeds so you getting 30 MB is usually is not that low i never seen USB 2.0 transfer files at 60MBps and i know no one as well.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 November 2016 - 11:51 AM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Sorry did not see your question about UAC follow my instructions at below link.

https://www.dost-tec...c.php?f=18&t=60