Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speeding Up Windows 10 (HP Laptop)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

mlansky

mlansky

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 10 on my HP laptop and I was wondering if there were any tips/tricks on how I can possibly speed it up when I'm online? I notice the fan on my laptop starts to kick in when I'm on the internet and I have several different windows open. Also, at times, I plug in a second monitor into my laptop for trading so could that be what is slowing it down as well?

Thanks again and kind regards,

mlansky

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

I'm currently running Windows 10 on my HP laptop and I was wondering if there were any tips/tricks on how I can possibly speed it up when I'm online? 

We can help you with this but please be aware that we will not be suggesting any turbo boosting software download, we will come back to this after your update  :thumbsup:

Also, at times, I plug in a second monitor into my laptop for trading so could that be what is slowing it down as well?

Most definite, not always a major problem but the size of the external display would have bearing on this.

Can you tell us the size of the external screen, the model name or number of your computer and if the behavior that you describe above happens all of the time,

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello mlansky,

I'm currently running Windows 10 on my HP laptop and I was wondering if there were any tips/tricks on how I can possibly speed it up when I'm online? 

We can help you with this but please be aware that we will not be suggesting any turbo boosting software download, we will come back to this after your update  :thumbsup:

Also, at times, I plug in a second monitor into my laptop for trading so could that be what is slowing it down as well?

Most definite, not always a major problem but the size of the external display would have bearing on this.

Can you tell us the size of the external screen, the model name or number of your computer and if the behavior that you describe above happens all of the time,

Hi Phillpower2,

Thank you so much for your reply. It's a Hewlett Packard Model #G72B60US Notebook and I believe it's a 17" monitor. The installed memory (RAM) is 4 GB as well.

Yes the behavior that I described up above only happens when I have a lot of windows open and a second monitor plugged into it. Basically as soon as I do that the fan on the laptop kicks in and continues to run. Also, I find that it slows down as well (and the fan kicks in) when I log into my Hotmail account as well. I'm not sure if it's just me but ever since Microsoft switched over to Outlook their email server seems slower.

Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

HP G72-b60US Notebook PC Product Specifications

Not sure why the fan kicks in and the computer slows down when you log into your Hotmail account but having checked the computer specs the behavior sounds normal, explanation, your computer does not have a dedicated graphics chip to provide video it is provided by the CPU, the CPU in turn relies on the system memory for support up to a maximum of 1696MB, when you open multiple Windows it is both using up the RAM and putting additional load on the CPU which then heats things up enough for the internal cooling fan to kick in, basically the cooling fan is doing what it is meant to do.

Adding the second screen compounds the issue by placing more demands on the CPU etc and again heats things up more quickly than you would normally experience.

Investing in a notebook cooling pad would help, preferably a mains powered one as opposed to the USB type as that would just put more load on the notebook and generate more heat.

Can I just confirm that you are using the notebook on a flat and even surface with no restrictions to the hot air exhaust vents. 

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello mlansky,

HP G72-b60US Notebook PC Product Specifications

Not sure why the fan kicks in and the computer slows down when you log into your Hotmail account but having checked the computer specs the behavior sounds normal, explanation, your computer does not have a dedicated graphics chip to provide video it is provided by the CPU, the CPU in turn relies on the system memory for support up to a maximum of 1696MB, when you open multiple Windows it is both using up the RAM and putting additional load on the CPU which then heats things up enough for the internal cooling fan to kick in, basically the cooling fan is doing what it is meant to do.

Adding the second screen compounds the issue by placing more demands on the CPU etc and again heats things up more quickly than you would normally experience.

Investing in a notebook cooling pad would help, preferably a mains powered one as opposed to the USB type as that would just put more load on the notebook and generate more heat.

Can I just confirm that you are using the notebook on a flat and even surface with no restrictions to the hot air exhaust vents. 

Hi phillpower2,

Thank you once again for the reply. Yes I have my laptop on a flat surface (desk) with no restrictions. Also, I never move or unplug the laptop. I treat it like a desktop. I don't know why, but when I logged into my Hotmail account and start opening emails, etc the fan usually kicks in and starts to slow down my system.

How much do 'cooling pads' cost for a laptop? Is there a particular one that's good, etc? Do you think that would alleviate the problem of the fan always starting up when I have several windows open and I'm doing a lot of different things on my laptop at once? Also, would it make sense to add more RAM? Would that make a difference?

Thanks again for your help,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

Also, I never move or unplug the laptop. I treat it like a desktop. 

Not a good idea if you leave the battery permanently in place, it generates more heat and ruins the battery, please see my canned text below.

How much do 'cooling pads' cost for a laptop? Is there a particular one that's good, etc? Do you think that would alleviate the problem of the fan always starting up when I have several windows open and I'm doing a lot of different things on my laptop at once?

As explained in my reply #5 the internal cooling fan behavior is normal based on the computer specs and the load that the computer is being put under, using an external cooling pad would help but it would not totally alleviate the problem, the CPU specs and having only integrated graphics are the main cause of the issue.

Adding more RAM would help with easing the load but again the dual core CPU is a limiting factor, see CPU Highlights info here

What size is the external screen is that you are attaching.

Some but not all of the below is relevant to your question but the information may help others who read your topic looking for guidance themselves.

To prolong the life expectancy of a notebook battery it should be allowed to run out of charge once in a while and then be fully recharged again, this is sometimes called exercising the battery.

It is not a good idea to use a notebook with both the battery and AC adapter/charger in place as it will shorten the life of the battery, this because the battery becomes reliant on being fully charged all of the time and so when the AC adapter/charger is removed the battery will quickly lose it`s charge, not all batteries do have but what many older ones do have is a memory cell (EEPROM) which stores the charge amount/content rating and this is often what becomes affected by continuous charging from the AC adapter/charger, typical symptoms may include not charging at all and only charging to a certain percentage and no further.

To exercise a removable notebook battery you should charge the battery to 100% when you are not going to be using the notebook away from a wall socket power outlet for an extended period of time, turn off and remove the AC adapter/charger and the battery, store the battery in a safe place, reconnect and use the AC adapter to power the notebook while you have access to a mains power socket, every once in a while (1 to 2 months) remove the AC adapter, replace the battery, use the notebook until the battery charge is depleted, connect the AC adapter/charger, charge the battery up to 100% and then repeat the very same steps as above.

Notebook and Netbook users who`s computers have integrated batteries should follow any guidelines provided by the manufacturer regarding best power management and settings but would benefit from once in a while allowing the battery to become empty of all charge by following the above steps, then fully charging the battery back up to 100% and then reverting back to the recommended power management steps that the manufacturer has suggested, these steps may include charging the battery up to 100% and then removing the AC adapter/charger, using the computer until the battery charge depletion level reaches the pre-set minimum allowed, reconnect the AC adapter/charger and then fully charge the battery up to 100% again and repeat the process.

Please note that the above will not help with a battery that has been damaged by being continuously connected to mains power or has reached it`s maximum charge amount limit/life expectancy.

If your notebook battery will not fully charge it suggests that it may be damaged or has been charged the maximum amount of times and so you should not allow it to lose all charge until you have a suitable replacement battery, this because a damaged or naturally expired battery may not begin to charge at all.

Some further information regarding how to prolong the life of a Notebook etc battery which includes calibrating it here

You are welcome btw  :)

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

Thank you once again for all your help and patience. So I guess there isn't much I can really do other than maybe investing in a new desktop computer or purchasing some more RAM for the HP laptop as a temporary solution? Thanks also for the info on the life of the battery. I never knew that. Actually I thought just the opposite as in if you keep draining the battery the worse off and harder it is on the battery.

I believe the external monitor/screen that I am attaching is a 17" monitor/screen.

Kind regards,

mlansky

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Phillpower2,

I forgot to post something at the end of my last post. I downloaded the program 'Process Lasso' a couple of weeks ago and was just curious if you've heard of it and if so what is your opinion on it?

Thanks again,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

The 17" external screen should not be too demanding on the CPU and therefore not contribute to overheating.

Never heard of Process Lasso so Googled it, seems to be rather hit and miss and the free version can cause issues with lag and nag, the latter being that it will begin to nag a user to upgrade to the paid for version, I personally use and recommend Process Explorer, see below;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended RAM for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Thanks again for the reply. Does 'Process Explorer' work with Windows 10?

So I need to run the "Crucial system scanner tool" to see what kind of RAM my system takes? Then after I get the results from the "Crucial system scanner tool", I can relay the results to you and you will in turn let me know what kind of RAM to purchase for my system?

Kind regards,

mlansky

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you mlansky, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Not heard back from you mlansky, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Hi phillpower2,

Sorry but did you see my last post? I know someone else responded to it as well, but I was waiting on a reply by you. Here's my last post in case you missed it:

So I need to run the "Crucial system scanner tool" to see what kind of RAM my system takes? Then after I get the results from the "Crucial system scanner tool", I can relay the results to you and you will in turn let me know what kind of RAM to purchase for my system?

Kind regards,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

Crossed wires i`m afraid, as FreeBooter had answered your question me posting the same would have served no purpose, but yes to both of your questions.

TammyGarza

TammyGarza

• Pip
  • 8 posts

open task manager by right clicking on the taskbar then click on > File option > Run New Task > type CMD > Make sure you check > Create this task with administrative privileges. > hit enter

now command prompt window will appear with administrator rights

type > sfc /scannow

> hit enter

wait till it finishes

once its 100%

restart your system

(this steps will fix system errors if you have it because of any virus)

and download the cleaner software run the cleaner once

and also try disk fragmentation

and use task manager to see, what makes your PC slower, if its hard drive, try switching to SSD if you're still using a standard SATA hard drive)

and if you are heavy multi-tasker then having more ram is very crucial

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello mlansky,

Crossed wires i`m afraid, as FreeBooter had answered your question me posting the same would have served no purpose, but yes to both of your questions.

Hi philpower2,

I ran the Crucial System Scanner Tool on my laptop. Is it ok if I post the results here?

Thanks again,

mlansky