Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can wifi privacy be compromised and others pick up your info?

wifi windows 10

• Please log in to reply

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

I live in an apartment building and there's one modem for the whole building. We are all sharing the same access code. Recently a new tenant moved across the hall and I've noticed when I click on the log in button on certain sites, when my info shows up that I click on to enter, now so does his as another option. Ebay for one of many examples will show his email address as well as mine now, for me to pick which one. So my question is if this is coming up on my sites, then it's coming up on his sites too, so how much of my privacy isn't actually private and just how much can be accessed? How do I protect myself? Thanks, Pearl

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
✓  Best Answer

Yes people can snoop on your traffic with many free tools and easier than ever before.

Shared networks are not really safe.

Things you can do that will help:

------------------------------------------

Most important is to be vigilant and watch for anything unusual like slight page anomalies and check address in the url bar for irregularities. 

Some tools that help check suspect files and urls Virus total,  GrC's Https fingerprinting, DigitalVolcano Hash tool,  sigverif ect there are many more but I'd be here all day naming them lol these are easy to understand and use.

Use a vpn (Cyber ghost is good for free but only runs in 3 hours stints before you have to renew and Q again for a free slot roughly 30 seconds a time.)

Never stay signed in to any thing and never have anything remember your passwords, Never do online banking on a shared network.

Use a good firewall.

Have a good Anti virus.

Clean your temp files regally.

For browser safety you could use https every where, Avira browser safety and mbam anti exploit.

Black vipers web sites has some nice ways to harden windows operating system.

Turn off network and sharing and all the other things used to share over a network. (this may also be on blackvipers site)

Turnoff netbios.

MVP hosts is good you can google if you want more info.

Update everything regularly to patch vulnerabilities.

You could go much deeper and run a virtual machine with whatever OS and sand box your browser inside that all behind a vpn if your really paranoid.

All that said I'd speak to the network admin first as it's probably just Google remembering you all even if you delete temp files Google will remember, not sure if I helped or made you more paranoid and confused but I hope that helps a bit.

Edited by HolyCowZ, 03 November 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. I can't really [not] do my on line banking and other personal info anywhere but a public wifi, my apt. building is one public wifi modem for all. We all share the same password. I'm fairly certain someone here has access to my info. I suspect the creepy new guy since it's been since he moved in that I've noticed things. A lot of the things you've mentioned have been happening, and I suspected as much. Can they get into Tor if I just start using them? Thanks again for all your help and info.

Pearl   

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Tor isn't that safe either as your relying on the tor exit node being hosted by someone trustworthy and some dubious people host tor nodes they may be sniffing your traffic which means they could steal any data you pass through the tor network.

You'd be better off with a vpn paid or free if you can't do paid. What ever one you use make sure you do research on it first I would avoid tor for the simple fact you never know who is hosting the exit node.

If I where you I would also take my concerns to the admin of your network and watch for phishing attacks aimed at your online banking. Maybe also see if anyone else on the network is experiencing abnormalities. 

Little about phishing attacks https://digitalguard...hishing-attacks

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Your awesome! Thanks for all your help. :) Pearl