Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can I change new laptop windows 10 to Linux (Resolved).

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer phillpower2 , 03 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

Before ditching Windows 10 I would suggest that you try a clean install of Windows, this will get rid of all of the bloatware and anything else that is causing you issues. Before doing a clean... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

This is my third question in three days, since buying a new laptop.  I'm sick of Microsoft windows 10! It's been nothing but trouble. Constantly freezing me out while it claims "working on updates" which takes forever and is often unwarranted. Windows 10 sucks! I want to get rid of them all together, so my question is if I can change to Linux and completely annihilate windows? If so then which Linux? Someone said mint with cinnamon? If I have limited experience in the computer world can I adapt and navigate alright in Linux? Anything has to be better than Microsoft and windows 10. Thanks, Pearl  

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

If the laptop is new then you should still be able to take it back to the shop once you reinstall a new operating system I doubt you'll be able to. 

Why don't you first get some one here to check you out see what is causing it to freeze?

I would Post the problems you are having the specs of the machine and wait for a geekstogo tech to help.

Linux may not fix the issue if its hardware and as the computer is new you may also void any chance to return it.

I have been trying windows 10 on a very old machine (10 years or so) and it runs very well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Before ditching Windows 10 I would suggest that you try a clean install of Windows, this will get rid of all of the bloatware and anything else that is causing you issues.

Before doing a clean install I would also suggest that you download the Dell drivers to a USB thumb drive and once Windows was installed you install the Dell chipset drivers.

You qualify for a free Windows 10 ISO download and all of the info that you need is here

FWIW: most Windows 10 problems that I have encountered have been with brand name computers and custom builds to have almost zero issues.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

It's all clean and it appears everything is as it's supposed to be. Can I change a brand new lap top that came with windows 10 into Linux? Is Linux not as good? Windows 10 is so invasive and aggressive. I guess I've been spoiled with my XP which I've had since it was new and now I'm trying to adjust to this one. My XP had windows 7. This computer is just all over the place with apps and mandatory downloads/updates, and always inserting suggestions of what they think you want. I was told Linux would be better for me and was an improvement in some of these areas. Am I just trading one hurtle for another and need to learn to adjust or is Linux a better option for someone who doesn't play video games, doesn't care what the stars are wearing or what the weather is like. I just want a clean computer without a mind of its own. Thank you for your advice and help, Pearl

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It's all clean and it appears everything is as it's supposed to be

Does the above mean that you downloaded the ISO, did a clean install and that the computer is now running ok.

This computer is just all over the place with apps and mandatory downloads/updates, and always inserting suggestions of what they think you want. 

Most Apps can be disabled which I have done, not sure what you mean by mandatory downloads/updates as all updates are optional even those tagged as important and recommended both of which it is wise to install as they are primarily security related.

Regarding Linux, best suggestion that I can make is that you take a look at Puppy Linux which you can download to a USB thumb drive and experiment with, you can keep Windows 10 on the HDD until you decide which way you want to go OS wise, Puppy Linux on USB info here please note that you will need to change the boot sequence to USB device first to boot into Puppy as opposed to Windows 10 on the HDD.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I think everything is okay now. Thanks to your help. I'm still going to try the puppy Linux (haven't had time yet but I will soon) I so appreciate your help and this site. Thank you, thank you. Pearl

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update Pearl  :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that things are running ok and no worries about when you get chance to try Puppy Linux, if we don`t hear back from you we can mark your question as being resolved if that is ok with you.

You are welcome btw  :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

If you do go to linux you mentioned in another post security well Qubes Linux is pretty good for security.

https://www.qubes-os.org/