Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no dvi signal (Solved)

dvi no signal graphic video

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 November 2016 - 07:51 AM

lazyoli, Couple of questions if I may; i tried putting the cable into the onboard dvi socket. didn't do anything.  When you tried this did you remove the add on vid... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

lazyoli

lazyoli

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

old system:
intel core i5-2320 cpu @ 3.00 ghz
6gb ram
64 bit os windows 7 home premium
service pack 1
zotac gtx 650 graphic card

asus xonar dgx 5.1 pci-e sound card

new system:
windows 10 64bit
8gb ram
intel i5 6600k
asrock h170 pro4 hyper
geforce gtx 1070

monitor:
asus ve247

the problem:
black screen and the monitor says "no dvi signal".

alright. so i upgraded to a new pc. put everything together and it did run nice and smoothly for two days! ...until i tried to install the soundcard from my old system. after that i only get that message.

what i did so far:
i removed the soundcard. didn't help. also i don't think that's what's causing the problem.
check cables. yeah. indeed. i managed to get the reset and power button cables loose while putting the soundcard in. checking all cables and putting those in again didn't solve the problem though.
i'm writing this on my old pc with the same monitor. so the monitor works perfectly fine. besides - it's new.
i put the gtx1070 into another pci slot. didn't help nothing.
i put the old zotac card inside the new pc. same message -for whatever reason.
i tried putting the gtx1070 into my old pc. didn't work for whatever reason.
i tried putting the cable into the onboard dvi socket. didn't do anything.
i tried a different vga cable for my power supply. nada.
i tried putting the gtx1070 in to fit perfectly like 30 times.

all pins on the cable are fine. besides every element of the new pc is actually new! there shouldn't be a broken cable or anything like that.
the weirdest thing though is - it DID work! so i am kinda running out of ideas here. any help?

Edited by lazyoli, 04 November 2016 - 07:55 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   lazyoli,

Couple of questions if I may;

i tried putting the cable into the onboard dvi socket. didn't do anything.

When you tried this did you remove the add on video card first.

Have you tried reseating your RAM.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

i am quite sure i did yes. but i will try it again anyway.

be quite straight power e9 680w

i will try reseating ram. though i am not quite sure why that should help tbh.

anyway. thanks for the answer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Not a bad PSU when new but could potentially be 5+ years old and therefore more than two years out of warranty.

i will try reseating ram. though i am not quite sure why that should help tbh.

The RAM is tested as part of the POST procedure and if a stick is bad or not seated correctly POST will not complete and you will get a no signal message on your screen, the same message may also be displayed in the event of other hardware failure such as a keyboard error or bad CPU, in essence the no signal message covers a multitude of possibilities and is not limited to add on video card failure.

Will wait on your update for now.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

reseating the ram didn't help.

also went through all the menus on the monitor. nothing.

put on new thermal paste while checking all the cables again. nothing.

tried the onboard socket while the video card was not connected. again. nothing. which is very weird! is the standard option for onboard video to be deactivated? that wouldn't make any sense! can me putting the soundcard into a pci-e slot trigger somekind of switcheroo so that the motherboard can't recognize the graphic card again?

[bleep] it worked for two days! getting desperate here.

any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

i will see if i can build the graphic card into a pc of a friend. that may take a while though. he's pretty busy atm.

and i might try using a different PSU.

maybe i'll buy an hdmi cable.

come to think of it i also tried the old card with the new system.
that makes 3 options that don't work. maybe the mainboard is damaged.

Edited by lazyoli, 07 November 2016 - 01:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
tried the onboard socket while the video card was not connected. again. nothing. which is very weird! is the standard option for onboard video to be deactivated? that wouldn't make any sense!

The onboard video is automatically disabled when an add on video card is detected by the BIOS and likewise the onboard video is automatically enabled when an add on video card is  not detected, some BIOS give you the option to change this to disable the integrated video when no add on video card is detected but unless you have changed such an option it is not the cause of the problem, pulling the CMOS battery as suggested by FreeBooter would restore this setting back to normal in any event.

From your OP;

the problem:

black screen and the monitor says "no dvi signal".

alright. so i upgraded to a new pc. put everything together and it did run nice and smoothly for two days! ...until i tried to install the soundcard from my old system. after that i only get that message.

Does the message actually say no DVI signal or just no signal.

When you fitted the sound card was the computer completely disconnected from all sources of power and did you ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU before touching anything inside of the case. 

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

there's still some stuff i need to try but here's a short update:

graphic card did work on another pc. it's not the graphic card.

i'm thinking more and more that the main board is somehow damaged...

i'll probably bring it back to the store and let them test it there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Does the message actually say no DVI signal or just no signal.

When you fitted the sound card was the computer completely disconnected from all sources of power and did you ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU before touching anything inside of the case. 

If you answer the questions above it will give us an idea of what has gone wrong.

FWIW motherboard failure is more common than CPU failure but shorting out the MB can also take out the CPU and all of your other hardware if you are real unlucky.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

it says "DVI no signal".

i get the same message when i unplug the monitor cable from my old pc while the monitor is still on.

if i change the monitor setting on the monitor itself to vga it says "vga no signal". same for hdmi. the monitor doesn't think that it is plugged in accordingly (which for vga/hdmi cases is right of course).

yes i always ground myself on my radiator on a spot with no paint on it and turn the pc off and pull the power cable when i handle something inside the pc.

hm i could try putting the core into another pc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Did you clear the CMOS?   This would set the BIOS back to default setting.   Then, without the GPU installed, connect to a iGPU port on the MB and test.

Advertisements

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

not yet. will do though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: 

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

update:

had the mainboard (with the core and ram) checked in the store. it all works.

interestingly enough though at first the guy did get the same error i had - no signal. after firmly pushing the ram in it went away.

so i have to reassemble everything pretty much from scratch now. i will keep an eye on the ram especially.

after all the cabling and cards are seated 100% perfect, i will try that reset thing.

Edited by lazyoli, 09 November 2016 - 09:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Good news :thumbsup:

The reason why I mentioned reseating the RAM in my reply #2 was because I have seen incorrectly seated RAM cause such problems so many times in the past, and believe it or not grease on the gold finger of a memory stick causing the same problem, the latter caused by someone eating snacks while they upgraded their memory  :headscratch:

Tip for anyone that may read this thread, never exert too much pressure on the MB when inserting RAM or any add on card/s, the MB may flex and crack if you do rendering the board useless, for new builds, the RAM and other hardware should be assembled outside outside of the case first on a large piece of cardboard or the MB box, this stops the MB from flexing when the pressure required to correctly fit the cards is applied.

Just a word of caution;

From your reply #10;

i get the same message when i unplug the monitor cable from my old pc while the monitor is still on.

Never unplug your video cable while the monitor is on, the computer connected to the wall socket or without getting rid of any residual charge in the system first by pressing the chassis power on button, not doing each of the above can short out your system no matter how small the charge concerned, only hot swappable devices such as some external USB devices should be connected or disconnected while the computer is on.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Is the computer now running OK?   Do you need any more help, or can we mark the topic as solved?

Please let us know.

Thanks.