Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I use F2 to rename on Windows 10 HP Laptop

- - - - -

Best Answer manford7 , 09 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi, thanks very much, firstly there is the Fn key but it is not Fn lock like on older laptops, it seems Microsoft or the manufacturers are still wanting more of an easy Fn key use for all but there... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

manford7

manford7

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello,

I recently bought a new HP Laptop, model number 15-ba065sa 15.6" with Windows 10 pre-installed.

I am very used to using the F2 key to rename filenames and also to open up editing cells within Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. I know there are other ways, i.e. using mouse or hold on filename, wait and then click again but I am used to using F2 which is quick and simple.

However, since there is no Fn lock key on this laptop, the F2 key seems defaulted to decreasing the screen brightness (with F3 being the opposite to increase brightness).

Is there a way I can set F2 to a default to rename the selected item as has always been the case with Windows XP and 8.1, basically for years. I believe it may be possible in BIOS settings but also read some newer laptops dont have BIOS, they have UEFI (?) and also with F2 not functioning like it has done for years then it can make it more difficult to use F2 I believe to get into a BIOS. I discovered this on trying to find an answer via google but am lost.

I don't want to mess things up so I would really appreciate it if someone can provide a step by step process of what to do that will definitely work so that F2 can be set to a permanent default of renaming the selected item, just like on older machines that allowed that unless changed via Fn lock key.

Thanks.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Are you sure the laptop keyboard doesn't have the Fn key?

From the photos I found on the net it should be between the left Ctrl key and the Windows key.

The behavior of the function keys should be possible to change on the UEFI/BIOS, try pressing the F2 key during boot or follow this guide to enter the UEFI settings.

The option to change should be similar to this image

c02035200.jpg

manford7

manford7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi, thanks very much, firstly there is the Fn key but it is not Fn lock like on older laptops, it seems Microsoft or the manufacturers are still wanting more of an easy Fn key use for all but therefore forgetting us people that use Fn keys simply for editing/repeating actions/calculating formulae etc.

I have fixed it after following your guidance to go into UEFI settings and all it was is to simply set the Action Keys Mode from Enabled to Disabled which therefore sets the action of Fn keys to mirror what many laptops and older machines used to be like in that one has to use the Fn key to action the special Fn features rather than the other way round.

So now simply pressing F2 will rename a filename or edit a cell in Excel, F4 will repeat an action say in Excel, F9 will calculate formulae etc.

Thanks.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

I also don't understand why this change! 

Just for the record before doing that change on the UEFI configuration the old behavior is possible by using Fn + F2 to rename a file. Pressing two keys instead of one for more usual tasks doesn't make sense for me.

The good part is that so far I didn't find a machine where this option cannot be changed. Lets hope the manufacturers don't forget that.