Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Critical process died" Windows 10 Stopcode

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 22 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

Dear Phil,  You should take more care when reading posts.  I take every care when reading posts but on occasion may overlook something, not the case here as I fully understood that y... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bgkg

bgkg

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi,  I can't boot into Windows 10. It  shuts itself down after giving a blue screen error code "Critical process died".   I am informed "We will restart for you after checks are performed".  Restarts and ends up with same message and restart (sometimes with disk checking) or in Recovery Environment with many options, such as reset, system restore and safe mode, none of which work despite repeated attempts.  I thought I had a system image on a partition of my C drive, but on trying the option to restore from that, I was informed that "no System image was found on this computer".  The problem started shortly after windows had informed me that "Updates have been successfully installed". 

I am stymied as to how to proceed now, as I am unable to run scans (sfc,  etc.) from command prompt as suggested by reading I have done related to this (common?) problem.  I am currently operating minimally thanks to Hirens Boot CD installed on a USB drive.  My system is still under warranty and I have the option of dropping it at a repair facility, but that would put me down for about 2 weeks.  I was hoping that there is a reasonably simple fix that would obviate the need for that. 

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello bgkg,

First suggestion is to back up any data on the drive in case it is the HDD that has a problem, let us know if you need any info on doing this.

Do you have Windows 10 media either on a USB thumb drive or on disk, if yes, see Your PC won't start information here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you bgkg, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi Phillpower2,  Thanks for you attention and advice. I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and burned it to a DVD.  Booted into setup and, selected language etc. and chose install. In short order I got a message saying that a necessary driver was missing,  saying it could be for a DVD dive or HDD.  I was given the option to pause the install prcoess and install the driver but I have no idea what driver is being referred to.  Obviously my DVD drive is opertaing so does this mean my HDD is the one missing (it's a Hitachi Ultrastar)?  I have no idea how to proceed from here.   Thanks,  Brian

Hi again Phillpower2,  I am looking at this <TweakBit Driver Updater>.  Through the original reading I did regarding this issue, I was informed that perhaps my problem is due to missing driver or drivers, so I am thinking that possibly running the TweakBit software it may solve the problem with my original Windows 10 installation.

Question;  Do you think that this software would scan my C drive for missing drivers and install them there,  since I am currently running a "Mini Windows XP" from a USB drive?  

The Hitachi HDD is model HUA721010KLA330  and I could not locate a driver for it on the Microsoft site.  Currently listed for the drive under properties- Driver file details are  X:\i386\system32\drivers\disk.sys and   X:\i386\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys 

Again thanks, Brian

Edited by bgkg, 13 November 2016 - 05:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello bgkg,

Test the ISO on the computer that you downloaded it on using Quemu, if you get the Windows logo etc the ISO should be ok, get a blank screen or anything else suggests a bad burn.

Some other suggestions for you to try here 

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi again Phillpower2,  I am looking at this <TweakBit Driver Updater>.  Through the original reading I did regarding this issue, I was informed that perhaps my problem is due to missing driver or drivers, so I am thinking that possibly running the TweakBit software it may solve the problem with my original Windows 10 installation.

Question;  Do you think that this software would scan my C drive for missing drivers and install them there,  since I am currently running a "Mini Windows XP" from a USB drive?  

The Hitachi HDD is model HUA721010KLA330  and I could not locate a driver for it on the Microsoft site.  Currently listed for the drive under properties- Driver file details are  X:\i386\system32\drivers\disk.sys and   X:\i386\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys 

Again thanks, Brian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello bgkg,

Question;  Do you think that this software would scan my C drive for missing drivers and install them there,

Sorry but you will not see anyone at GTG or any other creditable tech assistance forum recommend such a program, take a look at the review here and in particular the "verdict" at the end and you will  see why.

Would still suggest as post in my reply #5 above.

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi again,  and again once more, thanks for taking the time to answer. I downloaded the install file for Quemu as suggested, but apparently this mini XP OS doesn't allow me to execute it.  All I can say is that I downloaded  the ISO file from the link you provided and it gave the message detailed in my reply #4 "missing media driver".  So at this point, with nothing to lose. I thought I would go against your advice and downladed the Tweakbit driver updater software (not this TweakBit FixMyPC.).  It installed and even left a desktop shortcut.  But it would not initiate the program. 

Alas,  I am giving this up and plan on making the 90 K trip to take my system to the repair depot tomorrow.   Thanks once more for your efforts.

Brian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello bgkg,

I downloaded the install file for Quemu as suggested, but apparently this mini XP OS doesn't allow me to execute it. 

The suggestion was to test the ISO on the computer that you downloaded it on not on the sick computer;

Test the ISO on the computer that you downloaded it on using Quemu, if you get the Windows logo etc the ISO should be ok, get a blank screen or anything else suggests a bad burn.

Alternatively you could download the ISO to a USB thumb drive seeing as the computer has no problem booting from such a device.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you bgkg, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

bgkg

bgkg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Dear Phil,  You should take more care when reading posts.  Obviously, I could not boot into my sick system as it was in a blue screen boot loop.   As stated in my plea for help "I am currently operating minimally thanks to Hirens Boot CD installed on a USB drive"..and that is in itself my operating system thru which I managed to download as per your advice.  It may be the "sick computer" hardware, but is definitely not the sick Windows 10 OS.  Also to quote #8   "Alas,  I am giving this up and plan on making the 90 K trip to take my system to the repair depot tomorrow." , which refers back to #1 when I mentioned that as an option.  The system  is  therefor back in the hands of the warrantor for repair.  I hope this satisfies your need for closure of this topic.

Brian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer
Dear Phil,  You should take more care when reading posts.

I take every care when reading posts but on occasion may overlook something, not the case here as I fully understood that you were "currently operating minimally thanks to Hirens Boot CD installed on a USB drive"

From your reply #4

I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and burned it to a DVD.  Booted into setup and, selected language etc. and chose install. In short order I got a message saying that a necessary driver was missing,  saying it could be for a DVD dive or HDD. 

I downloaded the install file for Quemu as suggested, but apparently this mini XP OS doesn't allow me to execute it. 

The suggestion was to test the ISO on the computer that you downloaded it on not on the sick computer;

You never said on which computer you downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, I never asked and this is possibly where the misunderstanding lays, apologies if I have been anything less than 100% clear while trying to help you.