Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping out hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Kent777

Kent777

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello.

I have an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop that I am going to put an SSD into.  There is nothing wrong with my current HDD, I just want a change and to play around a bit (haven’t had problems for so long it is getting boring).  My daughter has an HP 2000 2b09WM laptop with Win 8 that is slower than a Commodore 64. It has 2 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM HDD.  My question is: can I use the 7200 rpm HDD as is with Win 7 in the HP 2000?  If not, do I have to wipe it clean, clone and install?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   Kent777,

My daughter has an HP 2000 2b09WM laptop with Win 8 that is slower than a Commodore 64. It has 2 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM HDD.  My question is: can I use the 7200 rpm HDD as is with Win 7 in the HP 2000?  If not, do I have to wipe it clean, clone and install?

One definite reason why you cannot do this and one other that may have a bearing on the matter;

1: The drivers on the HDD will be different for the two notebooks, when the computer tries to boot the incompatible drivers will be loaded and trip Windows up.

2: As the computer is a brand name the OS may have been pre installed under VLK (volume licence key) conditions, this means that the OS concerned is tied to the original computer that it was installed on and the product key not transferable.

Regarding #2 above, you can download a Windows 8.1 ISO and do a clean install, see here make sure that you have the Windows product key written down before any clean install and if you use the USB thumb drive option you may need to disable secure boot first, steps below;

Power up the notebook while tapping the key that gains you access to the BIOS;

Select Security -> Secure Boot, and then Disabled.
Select Advanced -> System Configuration, and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
To save the change and exit the BIOS setup, press F10.