Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive is NOT readable or accessible, How to fix? (Resolved).

CorruptionHard Drives Unaccessible Unreadable

Best Answer JoyfulNoise , 17 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hello Everyone, I am making a final update here. I also would like to give a special thank you and shout-out to my boys phillpower2 and FreeBooter! Thank you so much for your excellent service... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

For USB 3.0 Expansion Card i would say purchase the one in first link it has 2 years protection plan for $1.67 and it has better features like Low Energy Consumption.

The external drive and docking station looks good it all depends on what you need tell you the true.

When purchasing a hard disk drive Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) is important higher its faster the read/wright head of the drive can access the data on the drive. The 7200 RPM is very good speed.

The RAM cache size is also important because portion of RAM used to speed up access to data on a disk.

Speed of the SATA drive is important as well, SATA revision 1.0 (1.5 Gbit/s, 150 MB/s), SATA revision 2.0 (3 Gbit/s, 300 MB/s), SATA revision 3.0 (6 Gbit/s, 600 MB/s) speed.

I suggest you purchase Solid State Drive (SSD) they are much faster.

Thank you again FreeBooter for your help. Thank you for checking out the products and giving your input on them. I appreciate that, helpful! For backups or image backups, I don't think it would matter if it was 5900 rpm. I will explain further. For the main drives I use on a daily basis, I can say yes, 7200, but these image backup drives will not be hooked up to the computer until I am ready to make another image backup. With that said, what are your thoughts? Also, if the price is right, I will consider 7200 rpm ones for image backups.

The reason why I haven't bought SSD drives is because they are way too expensive and I feel I don't need them at this point. If they were the same price as the HDD's then I would consider.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello JoyfulNoise,

No matter how long it takes with this, we get so many abandoned threads that I like to check back with folk if they have not replied for 3 days or more just in case they missed an update from us etc.

A word of caution, something caused your data on the HDDs to go wonky and one possibility is malware, I strongly suggest that you follow the malware guidance now and most definitely before swapping any data between the computer and any/all storage devices, if malware is present you will infect all of your drives, if not done already that is.

You are welcome btw :)  

Hey phillpower2,

I actually appreciate that. Thank you for your excellent service. I never had someone at a forum do that before, so it kind of got me off guard when I read it. Thank you!

By doing what you suggest in the malware section or scanning with this tool FRST64.exe, will this cause any data loss? Should I have any concerns about doing so before getting my new drives etc? Sorry, if it sounds stupid, but I like to make sure. I am kind of nervous about it.

Thank you for taking interest in my thread and helping me. :wave: Looking forward to getting this done! :yes:

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words JoyfulNoise  :blush:

By doing what you suggest in the malware section or scanning with this tool FRST64.exe, will this cause any data loss? 

I am not a malware removal expert but rest assured the tools that the staff use on those forums are very well tried and trusted and are intended to gather information to help with any clean up that may be required.

Should I have any concerns about doing so before getting my new drives etc? Sorry, if it sounds stupid, but I like to make sure. I am kind of nervous about it.

Sounds sensible to ask not stupid by any means but to reiterate you should check for malware before transferring any data from the computer as it is and definitely before connecting any new storage device/s to it.

I see FreeBooter has already answered your upgrade questions so will not say too much here, it is not good practice to go off topic with threads and your upgrade question/s would have been best asked on the System Building & Upgrade forum, two good reasons for this, you may get unwanted upgrade suggestions while you are trying troubleshooting steps on the drives and at some point your thread will hopefully be able to be marked as answered so that folk searching Google for potential answers for the same or similar type issue will be able to find the solution quicker.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I myself purchase internal HDD with 7200 RPM but if you are only using external drive for backup you can purchase the one with 5400 RPM.

Thank you for your time and input! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Edited by JoyfulNoise, 24 November 2016 - 09:04 AM.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

he

Hello JoyfulNoise,

No matter how long it takes with this, we get so many abandoned threads that I like to check back with folk if they have not replied for 3 days or more just in case they missed an update from us etc.

A word of caution, something caused your data on the HDDs to go wonky and one possibility is malware, I strongly suggest that you follow the malware guidance now and most definitely before swapping any data between the computer and any/all storage devices, if malware is present you will infect all of your drives, if not done already that is.

You are welcome btw :)  

Hey phillpower2,

I actually appreciate that. Thank you for your excellent service. I never had someone at a forum do that before, so it kind of got me off guard when I read it. Thank you!

By doing what you suggest in the malware section or scanning with this tool FRST64.exe, will this cause any data loss? Should I have any concerns about doing so before getting my new drives etc? Sorry, if it sounds stupid, but I like to make sure. I am kind of nervous about it.

Thank you for taking interest in my thread and helping me. :wave: Looking forward to getting this done! :yes:

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words JoyfulNoise  :blush:

By doing what you suggest in the malware section or scanning with this tool FRST64.exe, will this cause any data loss? 

I am not a malware removal expert but rest assured the tools that the staff use on those forums are very well tried and trusted and are intended to gather information to help with any clean up that may be required.

Should I have any concerns about doing so before getting my new drives etc? Sorry, if it sounds stupid, but I like to make sure. I am kind of nervous about it.

Sounds sensible to ask not stupid by any means but to reiterate you should check for malware before transferring any data from the computer as it is and definitely before connecting any new storage device/s to it.

I see FreeBooter has already answered your upgrade questions so will not say too much here, it is not good practice to go off topic with threads and your upgrade question/s would have been best asked on the System Building & Upgrade forum, two good reasons for this, you may get unwanted upgrade suggestions while you are trying troubleshooting steps on the drives and at some point your thread will hopefully be able to be marked as answered so that folk searching Google for potential answers for the same or similar type issue will be able to find the solution quicker.

Thank you phillpower2 again. No problem. Thank you for the explanation. I feel more comfortable now about using the software for malware. Sorry, if I went off topic and I can agree that putting a thread in that system building section would benefit me, but not sure if you agree with this statement that it could be a matter of perspective. I am buying hard drives to help with this situation and by posting it here could help somebody else replace there hard drive with the same problem of corruption etc. and that person does not have to do an extra search to find the answer.

I will definitely will complete this thread once my situation is solved and I won't forget I promise. I have so much to do with this that it won't be in the next week and most likely the following, but I will. To let you know, so you don't freak out :D....I probably won't have an update for the next few days or so.

Thank you phillpower2 you are da best. :yeah:  I am very appreciative of you and Happy Thanksgiving.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I myself purchase internal HDD with 7200 RPM but if you are only using external drive for backup you can purchase the one with 5400 RPM.

Thank you for your time and input! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

You are very welcome and Happy Thanksgiving to as well!

Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the update JoyfulNoise  :thumbsup:

Sorry, if I went off topic and I can agree that putting a thread in that system building section would benefit me, but not sure if you agree with this statement that it could be a matter of perspective. I am buying hard drives to help with this situation and by posting it here could help somebody else replace there hard drive with the same problem of corruption etc. and that person does not have to do an extra search to find the answer.

No need for any apology JoyfulNoise but perhaps an explanation from myself, if the solution to your data corruption issue/s was to replace the HDDs then it would have been appropriate to help with that in this thread here rather than create a new thread elsewhere and have yourself and others looking for solution part B on the System Building & Upgrade forum, as there is nothing physically wrong with your HDDs further investigation is required to try and identify what caused the data corruption in the first place so as to avoid the possibility of it being replicated on any new storage devices that you may hook up, this is why it is so important that you now check for malware, btw, some malware is so deep rooted that not even a full format will clean it up and expert help is the only way to eradicate it.

JAFYI: I am not 100% saying that your computer is infected only suggesting that you have it confirmed one way or another before moving on.

Thank you once again for your kind words, hope you had a good Thanksgiving  :thumbsup:

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the update JoyfulNoise  :thumbsup:

Sorry, if I went off topic and I can agree that putting a thread in that system building section would benefit me, but not sure if you agree with this statement that it could be a matter of perspective. I am buying hard drives to help with this situation and by posting it here could help somebody else replace there hard drive with the same problem of corruption etc. and that person does not have to do an extra search to find the answer.

No need for any apology JoyfulNoise but perhaps an explanation from myself, if the solution to your data corruption issue/s was to replace the HDDs then it would have been appropriate to help with that in this thread here rather than create a new thread elsewhere and have yourself and others looking for solution part B on the System Building & Upgrade forum, as there is nothing physically wrong with your HDDs further investigation is required to try and identify what caused the data corruption in the first place so as to avoid the possibility of it being replicated on any new storage devices that you may hook up, this is why it is so important that you now check for malware, btw, some malware is so deep rooted that not even a full format will clean it up and expert help is the only way to eradicate it.

JAFYI: I am not 100% saying that your computer is infected only suggesting that you have it confirmed one way or another before moving on.

Thank you once again for your kind words, hope you had a good Thanksgiving  :thumbsup:

Your welcome phillpower2. Thank you for your explanation and I agree. I will do the malware test, not sure when or at the moment, but will do and I will post the results. How long will it take to use that malware checker that you recommended to download and try for a 2TB drive?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
 I will do the malware test, not sure when or at the moment, but will do and I will post the results

Please do not post anything malware related in this thread, if the computer is infected and you need help with it you should start a new thread here, include a link to this thread so that steps already taken can be checked.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I will do the malware test, not sure when or at the moment, but will do and I will post the results

Please do not post anything malware related in this thread, if the computer is infected and you need help with it you should start a new thread here, include a link to this thread so that steps already taken can be checked.

Thank you very much for the correction. Will do! Can you at least give me an idea of how long that test would take or do you want me to ask that question over there?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you at least give me an idea of how long that test would take or do you want me to ask that question over there?

May I refer you back to the GTG malware redirection information post in my reply #11, please note what I have underlined;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

You need to run the FRST as part of the initial self help guide and so would not have an active thread on the malware removal forums to be able to ask the question, your computer will hopefully come up clean when you check for yourself, remember this is a precautionary check to determine whether or not malware caused your recent issue/s.

As post in my reply #22 I am not a malware removal expert so cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, what I can say is that how long the scan will take may depend on certain factors, the capacity of the HDD/s and whether or not malware infection is actually present as just two examples.

Advertisements

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Can you at least give me an idea of how long that test would take or do you want me to ask that question over there?

May I refer you back to the GTG malware redirection information post in my reply #11, please note what I have underlined;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

You need to run the FRST as part of the initial self help guide and so would not have an active thread on the malware removal forums to be able to ask the question, your computer will hopefully come up clean when you check for yourself, remember this is a precautionary check to determine whether or not malware caused your recent issue/s.

As post in my reply #22 I am not a malware removal expert so cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, what I can say is that how long the scan will take may depend on certain factors, the capacity of the HDD/s and whether or not malware infection is actually present as just two examples.

Thank you phillpower2. Sure you can! No problem. I really do appreciate your patience and explaining or even re-explaning the process. I have other things hitting me as well so my mind is everywhere. Now, I will soon start the process of what you are suggesting. To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification. Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

That is correct.

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification

Anything malware related must be post on those forums and not here.

You are welcome btw  :)

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

That is correct.

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification

Anything malware related must be post on those forums and not here.

You are welcome btw  :)

Thank you for the clarification. I did the test and started a thread over there 2 days ago, but no response yet. So, will see what happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Update here: I had to escalate the thread in the Malware section and place it in the waiting room for a response. I should get one soon there. I bought two new external 3tb My Books which I should be getting on Wed. I will then transfer my Data that I recovered to those drives. I am going to continue investigating an answer with the ones I discussed here that are not accessible or corrupted. If I can find a solution to the current problem then I can continue where I left off. Otherwise, I will be reformatting them and using them for redundant backups.

That's it for now. Peace! :wave: