Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive is NOT readable or accessible, How to fix? (Resolved).

CorruptionHard Drives Unaccessible Unreadable

Best Answer JoyfulNoise , 17 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hello Everyone, I am making a final update here. I also would like to give a special thank you and shout-out to my boys phillpower2 and FreeBooter! Thank you so much for your excellent service... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts
Can you at least give me an idea of how long that test would take or do you want me to ask that question over there?

May I refer you back to the GTG malware redirection information post in my reply #11, please note what I have underlined;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

You need to run the FRST as part of the initial self help guide and so would not have an active thread on the malware removal forums to be able to ask the question, your computer will hopefully come up clean when you check for yourself, remember this is a precautionary check to determine whether or not malware caused your recent issue/s.

As post in my reply #22 I am not a malware removal expert so cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, what I can say is that how long the scan will take may depend on certain factors, the capacity of the HDD/s and whether or not malware infection is actually present as just two examples.

Advertisements

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Can you at least give me an idea of how long that test would take or do you want me to ask that question over there?

May I refer you back to the GTG malware redirection information post in my reply #11, please note what I have underlined;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

You need to run the FRST as part of the initial self help guide and so would not have an active thread on the malware removal forums to be able to ask the question, your computer will hopefully come up clean when you check for yourself, remember this is a precautionary check to determine whether or not malware caused your recent issue/s.

As post in my reply #22 I am not a malware removal expert so cannot give you a definitive answer to your question, what I can say is that how long the scan will take may depend on certain factors, the capacity of the HDD/s and whether or not malware infection is actually present as just two examples.

Thank you phillpower2. Sure you can! No problem. I really do appreciate your patience and explaining or even re-explaning the process. I have other things hitting me as well so my mind is everywhere. Now, I will soon start the process of what you are suggesting. To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification. Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts
To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

That is correct.

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification

Anything malware related must be post on those forums and not here.

You are welcome btw  :)

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

To make sure here, the only next time I would post here is when I am finished with the malware testing and everything is working and I would give an update and finish the thread and/or if I still can't get this resolved. Am I correct so far?

That is correct.

Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

Just to make sure here. This topic if needed to be created, do I create it in this forum or the malware one. Just for clarification

Anything malware related must be post on those forums and not here.

You are welcome btw  :)

Thank you for the clarification. I did the test and started a thread over there 2 days ago, but no response yet. So, will see what happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts

:thumbsup:

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Update here: I had to escalate the thread in the Malware section and place it in the waiting room for a response. I should get one soon there. I bought two new external 3tb My Books which I should be getting on Wed. I will then transfer my Data that I recovered to those drives. I am going to continue investigating an answer with the ones I discussed here that are not accessible or corrupted. If I can find a solution to the current problem then I can continue where I left off. Otherwise, I will be reformatting them and using them for redundant backups.

That's it for now. Peace! :wave:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts

From my reply #27

as there is nothing physically wrong with your HDDs further investigation is required to try and identify what caused the data corruption in the first place so as to avoid the possibility of it being replicated on any new storage devices that you may hook up, this is why it is so important that you now check for malware,

If your computer is infected so will your new storage devices become, better to wait for the all clear.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

From my reply #27

as there is nothing physically wrong with your HDDs further investigation is required to try and identify what caused the data corruption in the first place so as to avoid the possibility of it being replicated on any new storage devices that you may hook up, this is why it is so important that you now check for malware,

If your computer is infected so will your new storage devices become, better to wait for the all clear.

Thank you! The thing is, will I ever. It is now a week and no response. I am in the waiting room, so hopefully not much longer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts

Unfortunately the malware removal forums are the busiest and resolving malware infection not a five minute job, still safer to wait but I do understand your frustration.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Unfortunately the malware removal forums are the busiest and resolving malware infection not a five minute job, still safer to wait but I do understand your frustration.

Thank you for sharing. Not frustrated yet :D, I am hoping that I can get an answer by this week if not I might have to move forward no matter what.

Advertisements

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hello Everyone,

I hope everybody is having a great weekend. Update here, I finished the Malware checkup and it came up clean. Here is the thread if you would like to check it out. http://www.geekstogo...-2#entry2585014

So, is there any other way to get my drive accessible or is it basically start over and reformat? I would like to get it accessible before I do,  so I can compare with my data recovery if I did get them all.

Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts

Try Mini Tool (free) from here

The whole article is worth reading first but if you are in a hurry you are looking for the Lost Partition Recovery option due to the fact that the drive converted to RAW for whatever reason.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Try Mini Tool (free) from here

The whole article is worth reading first but if you are in a hurry you are looking for the Lost Partition Recovery option due to the fact that the drive converted to RAW for whatever reason.

Thank you. I will take a look!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,382 posts

You are welcome  :)

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

I am making a final update here. I also would like to give a special thank you and shout-out to my boys phillpower2 and FreeBooter! Thank you so much for your excellent service and help. :spoton: :yeah: :wave:

I have now reformatted my 2 external hard drives & transferred my recovered data to them. The Hard drives are working great. I did lose some data and some of the recovered PDF files won't open, but I believe I recovered 90-95% of it from what I see so far. I did learn a lesson and if this type of thing happens in the future I won't lose my data. One hard drive will be used as my working drive and the other as the backup source, but I have two other external hard drives that I will make additional image backups.

If there is any other advice for me to apply in the future please don't hesitate to respond. Any other questions please let me know!

I wish everyone a Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

JoyfulNoise

:cheers: