Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-5 overburning feature in slim IDE DVD writers

• Please log in to reply

Alps

Alps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everybody!
I've a few questions regarding DVD overburning.
Particularly, I'm referring to the slim IDE/ATA internal DVD writers coming with laptops about 10 years ago (Pioneer DVR-K17A, in my case, but I could get other second-hand models of other brands, if necessary). I've known that the majority of burners doesn't support DVD-5 overburning. Are the slim internal IDE DVD writers different from the normal IDE ones for desktop PC (in terms of DVD overburning support)?
As far as you know, is there 1 or more models of IDE internal DVD writers (of any manufacturer) that is actually able to overburn DVDs?
Or this feature only belongs to DVD writers of desktop PCs?

After all, this operation just concerns the writing beyond a certain number of sectors.
So, if the firmware contains a limit of sectors beyond which the burner cannot write, what about finding and raising that limit in the firmware file?
Is that possible, theoretically?

Advertisements

Alps

Alps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I definitely agree with you. DVD overburning is something experimental.
Of course, nowadays DVD-9 and bigger storage solutions are often preferred.
Sometimes it happens that I need more than 4483 MB because the files cannot be split (about 10 up to 100 additional MB). I already have a big DVD+R pack that I'm sure supports DVD overburning. So it would be really annoying to go buy DL DVDs when I know that every time the burning task could be easily solved with the overburning feature.
To me, enabling DVD overburning would mean saving time (tedious task to reduce, split, cut...) and money (when forced to buy DL DVDs). Also, I hate wasting a DVD-9 for 10, 20 or so additional MB. It's my nature...
It would be ideal if there was a little tweak appliable to the firmware. I just keep looking around... who knows!