Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Computer Policy

locked out local computer policy mmc regedit

• Please log in to reply

cadams73027

cadams73027

• Pip
  • 4 posts

We have a computer that has multiple users on it and no internet access (not allowed) It is a DELL latitude D820 running windows XP professional. We have several diff users all with different needs and security level access to aid in making sure the computer is not corrupted or doing things that they are not supposed to. Local computer policy was set to keep people from using the search function, the command line function, the run function or any of the security setting functions so they can’t get into anything; restricts them down to their desktop. In the process of enabling these computer policies, the administrator assumed that because he is the administrator, the policies would not affect him. After rebooting the computer, the policies had affected him. He cannot open command line, mmc, local policy, search function or help function. Can’t even start Microsoft office. Received error message that says: due to local computer policy, the current function has been restricted. See your local administrator for assistance.

We do not have the ability to re-register Microsoft office or the operating system because we have lost the keys to those so we can’t reformat this computer. We have to be able to find a work around to this problem. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much!

Advertisements

cadams73027

cadams73027

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The Windows Vista and later versions of Windows support Multiple Local Group Policy Objects which allows setting different levels of Local Group Policy for individual users. It will not be easy to undo policy settings but lets have a go. First have you tried System Restore tool to undo group policy settings.

If you can create a system restore point before trying below instructions:

1. Open My Computer and then click on Control Panel ---> Folder Options from View tab uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"  and "Show hidden files, folders and drives" , click  OK button.

2. Rename the registry.pol file as bakregistry.pol file stored at the C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine  directory.

3. Rename the registry.pol file as bakregistry.pol file store at two directory listed below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\User

C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers

4. Open the Command Prompt and type gpupdate.exe /force command press Enter key.

5. Open notepad and save the file in this location C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine as Registry.pol ( Don't forget to mention the extension as pol & the files don't contain any text, just save the blank files as Registry.pol in that location).

6. Open notepad and save the file in this location C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\User as Registry.pol ( Don't forget to mention the extension as pol & the files don't contain any text, just save the blank files as Registry.pol in that location).

7. Open the Command Prompt and type gpupdate.exe /force command press Enter key.

8. Restart your computer.

Thank you for your help, I have a problem though..I cannot access cmd line nor can I open any program including notepad or access folder options. I am genuinely locked out. I can access the C: files and folders etc. and I can copy them to another computer to edit then I can replace them if that is helpful. But, I cannot do anything else.

Thank you again. I really hope you can think of something.

cadams73027

cadams73027

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You can access these files from any bootable live CD like Knoppix Live CD don't worry about the gpupdate.exe /force command if needed you can do that after you have created new Registry.pol files and boot into Windows OS.

Out of habit, the hidden system files and folders are viewable. I navigated to the registry.pol files and followed your instructions. I was not able to utilize the notepad on the computer because of the policy that I set. So I logged onto a different computer, created a registry.pol file in notepad, moved it to a flash drive and then moved it to the problem computer and copied it to the file locations you suggested. I did not have access to command line so I simply rebooted the computer but this had no effect. 

Without using the update registry force command, how do I update the registry?

cadams73027

cadams73027

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You can access these files from any bootable live CD like Knoppix Live CD don't worry about the gpupdate.exe /force command if needed you can do that after you have created new Registry.pol files and boot into Windows OS.

By the way, I have been researching and researching and asking all sorts of people about this the last several days and you are the only person to actually be helpful. THANK YOU SO MUCH.