Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my desktop

Best Answer phillpower2 , 23 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

There is an awful lot of wasted expense in that parts list, some of it would be better spent elsewhere such as on a better video card. You do not need the aftermarket cooler and using it could... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi guys so I got a Desktop, and I was planning to upgrade it to use it for gaming. However; here is computer specs.

zDvtYa0.png

NOTE: I am actually living in Egypt, so I need good specs that I can buy for a fair price. However; I need the components to be good for gaming and recording game plays,  doesn't heat the PC up, and doesn't cause the game to lag after sometimes. On the other hand; I changed the Windows and I am using Windows 7 62-Bit Professional.

Edited by MichaelBandit, 21 November 2016 - 06:24 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   MichaelBandit,

Any upgrade path depends on the following;

Your maximum budget.

The PSU that is in your computer, this includes the maximum power output and the type/size and shape of the PSU should it need to be upgraded.

The type of case that you have, the emachines/Acer EL1860 computer has a micro ATX MB which are commonly used in small form factor desktops that will not accommodate anything other than a low profile add on video card.

What games are you hoping to play, some require far more powerful graphics cards, CPUs and gigabytes more RAM than others. 

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

:welcome:   MichaelBandit,

Any upgrade path depends on the following;

Your maximum budget.

The PSU that is in your computer, this includes the maximum power output and the type/size and shape of the PSU should it need to be upgraded.

The type of case that you have, the emachines/Acer EL1860 computer has a micro ATX MB which are commonly used in small form factor desktops that will not accommodate anything other than a low profile add on video card.

What games are you hoping to play, some require far more powerful graphics cards, CPUs and gigabytes more RAM than others. 

Okay I am already going to upgrade it, but the budget is the problem I am living in Egypt so the things going to be a bit expensive, however the games that I will run in this PC is going to be the modern games and old games, and I might record my game-plays. However; I need the PC doesn't lag while recording for long time, and I don't want it to heat up and shutdown, and I want it to run the modern games smoothly without taking all the power of the graphic card and most important it doesn't take up a huge amount of electricity.

Edited by MichaelBandit, 22 November 2016 - 07:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

We are aware of what you want the computer to be able to do but we have to determine if it is possible using the present MB, CPU, PSU and chassis, just picked two random games here and here to emphasise why it is important that you tell us what games you want to play, based on the limited specification info that we can find on your computer it has a 220W flex type power supply that is nowhere near capable of running a half decent add on video card and which are commonly used in small form factor cases that as said will not accommodate anything other than a low profile add on video card, again no good for gaming.

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

We are aware of what you want the computer to be able to do but we have to determine if it is possible using the present MB, CPU, PSU and chassis, just picked two random games here and here to emphasise why it is important that you tell us what games you want to play, based on the limited specification info that we can find on your computer it has a 220W flex type power supply that is nowhere near capable of running a half decent add on video card and which are commonly used in small form factor cases that as said will not accommodate anything other than a low profile add on video card, again no good for gaming.

So, what you advice me to do?no I will change all the components and replace it with good ones. So, if you can help me with that and you choose the components that I can buy I will really appreciate it, also I would like to know what do you advice me to do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

We can help you with a list of parts once you tell us what games you want to play both now and any new ones yet to be released that you would also like to play in the future.

Something that may help with getting your parts shipped to Egypt is Borderlinx alternatively post any links to online computer merchants in Egypt for us to use.

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

We can help you with a list of parts once you tell us what games you want to play both now and any new ones yet to be released that you would also like to play in the future.

Something that may help with getting your parts shipped to Egypt is Borderlinx alternatively post any links to online computer merchants in Egypt for us to use.

I can't decide because every week and month get released, so I don't know. Lets say that I want to play games that with kind of high graphics. Like I will play something called Garry Mods, GTA V, GTA IV, and GTA VI. Watch Dogs 2, Watch Dogs, GTA SA SAMP with High End ENB mods and general mods, DayZ. it's a lot so I will be playing with games that have kind of high graphics, the old games that are with low graphics to. Also I will be recording my game plays sometimes, Arma 3 if I can get it. Any games with high graphics, medium graphics and law graphics. All I need is that the PC can record my game plays for quite a long time, for live streaming on Twitch, I don't want the PC to get heated up that can lead to shutdown of the PC, and doesn't cause lagging during the game play. All I know that most of the games need graphics card of Minimum Nividia GTX 669 graphic card along with Maximum Nividia GTX 720 or up graphic card.

Edited by MichaelBandit, 22 November 2016 - 01:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but to play the best out of those games you need a whole new build, you will need a quad core i5 CPU, 8GB of at least 1600MHz RAM, a minimum of a GTX 780 video card + the appropriate MB, PSU and chassis, you can re use the present HDD but will need to check the size of the DVD drive to make sure that it will fit in any new case.

Will put together a list of parts based on the Watch Dogs 2 Recommended Requirements and get back to you.

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but to play the best out of those games you need a whole new build, you will need a quad core i5 CPU, 8GB of at least 1600MHz RAM, a minimum of a GTX 780 video card + the appropriate MB, PSU and chassis, you can re use the present HDD but will need to check the size of the DVD drive to make sure that it will fit in any new case.

Will put together a list of parts based on the Watch Dogs 2 Recommended Requirements and get back to you.

So, you mean I will change the whole PC, but if you can put the components that I can buy cheap feom Egypt it will be match appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

An example parts list for you here not included are a DVD drive, a HDD and an OS, if you have full retail version of Windows 7 64-bit Pro you can reinstall that with any new build.

Advertisements

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

An example parts list for you here not included are a DVD drive, a HDD and an OS, if you have full retail version of Windows 7 64-bit Pro you can reinstall that with any new build.

Okay, but can you put the components that you can see it's good in your opinion and then I will play around with it. Because I am not good at picking the PC components, so if you can make a component map for me I will really appreciate and if there are things I didn't like I'll play around with the components.

Thanks. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
can you put the components that you can see it's good in your opinion

if you can make a component map for me 

Not sure what you mean as that is exactly what I have done, the suggested parts at the example link are the sort of spec that you need, sign up with PCPartPicker and experiment with a parts list.

No need to quote every reply btw, it is not necessary :thumbsup:  

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi there man, so I made a map but it got too expensive, so advice me what things I can add to make the price kind of good and also till me how are the components?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9dghm8

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
✓  Best Answer

There is an awful lot of wasted expense in that parts list, some of it would be better spent elsewhere such as on a better video card.

You do not need the aftermarket cooler and using it could void your 3yr CPU warranty should something go wrong with it.

You do not need and will not use 16GB of RAM with any present or due to be released game, 2 X 4GB sticks is adequate, you also have the option to add more in a couple of years should any new games then require it.

A 256GB is plenty for Windows and your favourite games, everything else should be stored on the 1TB HDD that you already have.

You need a better video card for the games that you want to play, the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 is only 192-bit when for Watchdog 2 to get the best video quality when gaming a 384-bit card is recommended, meet in the middle and go for a 256-bit card like the one that I suggested.

A very good choice of PSU but massive overkill and overspend for the intended build, again, stick with the PSU that I suggested.

To summarise, I would not use or suggest anyone else purchase anything on your list other than the CPU, MB and chassis.

MichaelBandit

MichaelBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Here is the new parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nLYqBP

Tell me if it is okay.

Edited by MichaelBandit, 23 November 2016 - 04:05 PM.