Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run Kaspersky, FRST, and Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply

Dyjinn

Dyjinn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yes, I think most of the programs work in safe mode except for Kaspersky. MalwareBytes also works in safe mode.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Okay let's see whether you can run an online scan.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Vista / Win7 users: Right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

Windows 8 & 8.1 users may face another warning from the Windows SmartScreen Protection - please click More information and Run.

Note: This scan works with Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

If using Mozilla Firefox you may need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.

Disable your security programs.

• Click the blue Run ESET Online Scanner box
  • Click Yes to run now if asked.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • You may see a panel towards the top of the screen telling you the website wants to install an addon... click and allow/install to install. If your firewall asks whether you want to allow installation, say yes. If asked, click yes to allow the program to run on your computer.
  • Check "Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications"
  • Click on Start and say yes if asked to allow the program to proceed.
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed click "List of found threats" and click again on Copy to clipboard. Open notepad and past in the clipboard list. Save it as ESET log somewhere that you can find .
  • After that click the button "Back"
  • Select and check Uninstall application on close and Delete quarantined files.
  • Then click on: Finish
  • Copy and paste the ESET log back here and tell me how your machine is now.

Dyjinn

Dyjinn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

No Threats Found

Files scanned: 240914

Infected files: 0

Cleaned threats: 0

Total scan time: 01:26:55

Scan status: Finished

Hi. I'm not sure but there was a windows update yesterday and I think it was causing the pc to crash a bit. Not sure if it's just coincidence. I still can't run files as admin on a normal boot.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

ESET ran okay then.

I still can't run files as admin on a normal boot.

So it's something happening in normal mode but not in Safe Mode.

Have you tried disabling Windows Defender before attempting to run Kaspersky?

Dyjinn

Dyjinn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I tried it in normal mode and Kaspersky still won't run. Oh and another message always pops up whenever I boot normally saying "Windows firewall is turned off" but it does not show during safe mode.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I boot normally saying "Windows firewall is turned off" but it does not show during safe mode.

In Safe Mode only core Windows drivers are loaded. Windows does not load third party software. It's helpful in diagnosing a problem.

Kaspersky will turn off Windows Firewall if it's using it's own. That's why you see that alert when you boot to normal mode. One of the reasons I asked you about whether you had uninstalled and re-installed Kaspersky is related to this. When installing an AV will turn off the Windows Firewall if it doesn't use it. Some AVs do use Windows Firewall and some don't. It can cause conflict if it isn't turned off in those instances where an Anti-Virus product doesn't use it.

Sometimes a firewall will prevent another program running. Have you been turning Windows Firewall back on, if so, that maybe blocking Kaspersky?

Dyjinn

Dyjinn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi! It says here that "These settings are being managed by vendor application Kaspersky Internet Security."

I'll try reinstalling with firewall disabled.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

:thumbsup:

Dyjinn

Dyjinn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hello again. Something weird is happening with Kaspersky when I'm reinstalling it. It now says that the application cannot be installed.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Couple of thoughts.

AV's generally won't install if your date, time, and time zone are not correct.

Sometimes they also don't like it if there is another live AV there i.e. there is conflict.  

Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

Advertisements