Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC stuttering/possible DDR3 memory conflict. (Resolved)

Best Answer iammykyl , 02 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the update.I think you are no longer performing an upgrade, new MB, RAM, CPU and GPU, new clean install of OS/drivers to the SSD, it is really a new build.Best to start another topic, li... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I believe I updated the sound driver to the most recent one some time ago.

Odd that it has taken some 18 days for the stuttering to reapear, is it since you updated the audio drivers, if yes, try a system restore point that is before you updated the drivers.

Please see my canned text below regarding needlessly updating drivers;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue. 

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

Is this GPU related?

Test your video card with Valley Benchmark (free) which you can download from here let us know how the card does.

Advertisements

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

It has not actually been 18 days since. I only started the PC up yesterday. I was waiting for some products I had ordered to arrive. As for the driver, I updated that probably around 2013 and the last time I checked it, it was still the most recent. I believe it has had this stuttering issue pretty much since the beginning. I will give Valley a try. Hang tight.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Okay here are the benchmarking results:

FPS 31.0

Score 1296

Min FPS: 11.2

Max FPS: 61.3

Win 7 build 7601 Service Pack 1 64 bit

Direct3D11

1920x1080 fullscreen

custom presets

high quality

Graphics: 822MHz

Memory: 2004MHz

Processor: 1645MHz

Temp: 69 deg average

FPS: 30 average

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It has not actually been 18 days since. I only started the PC up yesterday.

Makes sense now we know  :)

I was waiting for some products I had ordered to arrive. 

Was this the upgrades that you mentioned you were looking to purchase, if yes, can you tell us what the upgrades were and if they were fitted when you ran Valley.

Audio driver info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

It is not so much the FPS we are concerned with here it is the quality of the graphics, any stuttering at all while Valley was running.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The added parts were the PSU, the 16GB of Corsair ram (removed the original 8GB), a PCI-E 5x USB 3.0, a cooler master 2x USB 3.0 front attachment for the tower and the Radeon SSD. I'm thinking of getting the 1070 GTX for the GPU. Right now I'm not crazy about the prices. 

All were installed when I ran valley except the SSD SATA cable was not plugged into the MB since I was updating the BIOS (my other thread). I did not experience any stuttering.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I tried Valley again, this time after downloading Windows 7 updates.

Benchmark

FPS 73.4

Score 3070

min 7.3

max 129.5

No stutter was heard.

However, I tested youtube because this is a definite culprit and found something interesting. Sound stuttering was heard at one minute intervals exactly. Every minute I could count on it stuttering. Now if I paused the video, this would interrupt the timing. But a minute from the time I pushed play from the pause position, it would stutter....so on and so on every minute. Does this provide a clue?

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

This video here is how the stuttering on my pc sounds. There appears to be a lag in general that is going on. I notice it when moving the mouse on the desktop. Again it's about a minute apart.

Edited by sierrahotel, 23 December 2016 - 07:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Is the problem only present when internet content is concerned, youtube and playing games such as FSX and DCS on Steam for example.

Your gpu benchmarks have improved suggesting the card is ok.

Sorry but your youtube video is too short to be of any use I`m afraid.

Something of note in your reply #21;

No stutter was heard.

When you said that the PC was stuttering I incorrectly thought that you meant the graphics and not the audio.

Seeing as it is the audio that is stuttering, start the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) play a music CD/DVD to check the play back quality then try a game that does not require internet connection and see what the audio quality is like when gaming.

All were installed when I ran valley except the SSD SATA cable was not plugged into the MB since I was updating the BIOS (my other thread). 

We need to put one of your threads on hold while we address the other, this will avoid any possible confusion as to what we are trying to achieve here.

Polite reminder

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi Phil,

The youtube video is not mine. I know it is short in length but if you are able to hear the stutter noise, it is the same sound that my pc makes. I determined that the stuttering issue I am having is happening all the time regardless of whether I am on the internet or not. If I leave the mouse on the desktop without opening/running anything, it will stutter every minute. You cannot hear it but it is visible when I am moving the mouse. The arrow will, at the minute interval, lag across the screen for a second as I am moving it. I didn't notice it while running Valley and sometimes in the past I would not see it while running FSX or DCS.

I have to install an OS to my SSD. I have backed up the HDD and I think I will wipe/reformat it. My PC runs slow at times especially during start-up. Often programs time-out (not responding). Perhaps a wipe and/or a new HDD is needed.

Multi-posts noted.

Edited by sierrahotel, 25 December 2016 - 11:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello sierrahotel,

Please do the following that I post in my reply #23 then get back to us, HD audio drivers for add on video cards can cause all sorts of weird but not so wonderful behaviour.

Seeing as it is the audio that is stuttering, start the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) play a music CD/DVD to check the play back quality then try a game that does not require internet connection and see what the audio quality is like when gaming.

Having the same problem since you built the computer back in  August 2012 is really strange as if hardware related the problem would normally worsen over time.

My PC runs slow at times especially during start-up. Often programs time-out (not responding).

We can look at this behaviour for you here as part of our troubleshooting but will wait on the Safe Mode outcome for now.

Advertisements

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

So I downloaded the OS onto the SSD and formatted the HDD. Good news is that the stuttering has gone away. I suspected that the health of the HDD, a Seagate 2TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G, had started to decline. It doesn't have a particularly good lifespan according to the reviews I came across. Either it's health is bad or it really needed to be cleaned up. I loaded DCS World and have been trying to determine the state of the HDD before I continue to use it any further.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No way of knowing if the problem was with the HDD until you actually have data on it such as games that you play etc.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I loaded up DCS briefly yesterday. I was unable to determine if the HDD had a problem. The recommended requirements for X-Plane 11 (i5-6600k or better) have come out and it looks like I'll have to upgrade to a new CPU and MB if I want to run it well. That also means DDR4 ram and a fan for the CPU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Check the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The first screenshot is of the HDD and the second is of the SSD. It appears from my limited knowledge that the HDD is okay. What's the difference between Good and Good 100%? I guess there is a "Good Range" and the HDD is not quite perfect.

crystaldiskscreenshot1.jpg

crystaldiskscreenshot2.jpg

Edited by sierrahotel, 27 December 2016 - 12:09 PM.