Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution on a DVI Monitor not changing

• Please log in to reply

azareyl

azareyl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys,
I just bought a SONY VAIO RB34g which comes with a dvi/vga video card - I hooked up a dvi monitor and a normal monitor to the Vga card but my issue is that regardless of what resolution I set on the dvi monitor it always stays at 800x640. If I set it to 1024 or 1280, the resolution stays at 800 and I need to scroll around the monitor to get to the corners of the screen - it's driving me nuts.
I know the monitor can support 1280 as I've used other dvi cards successfully in the past.
The card I'm using (which comes standard) is the 128MB DDR ATI Radeon X300 (PCI Express x16, DVI, TV-Out) - from all accounts I should be able to get my dvi to 1280 and it does give me the option. Help?
thanks guys

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

Try updating your graphics driver at HERE

azareyl

azareyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried that yesterday. All tha thappened was that it swtiched back my primary monitor to the non dvi-source but still had resolution issues. To futher eluciadate - sometimes the system does not even let me move the resolution pointer beyond 800 even though it is all the way left. Also I do not ever get the option to set the dvi as the primary monitor. The only way I can do it is to leave out the vga connector - boot up and then add the vga monitor in.
Any other possible thoughts on this one?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is there a driver for the monitor? Under advanced settings on the display tab, is there a saved scheme?

azareyl

azareyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
when I hit advanced it goes straight into the ati windows which specify that this is a plug and play monitor on radeon x300 (it doesn't list its name)

azareyl

azareyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
found properties and unfortunately it's an 23 inch samsung hdtv with a dvi port so no drivers to install - it's worked fine with previous pci cards with a dvi card but this time it doesn't seem to like the card much.

azareyl

azareyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
solved the issue but throught I'd update for anyone who might have the same problem. Turns out the built in x300 pci-e ati card won't support my lcd monitor at a resolution higher than 800 x. Ended up putting in a second PCI card - loading the drivers and hooking up another dvi monitor to the main card. Used the second PCI card to drive my second dvi monitor and have now moved to a three monitor setup =) Evidently the PCI-E ATI card didn't like my samsumg LCD tv/monitor but the other ATI card has no trouble getting it up to 1280/1024. Ah well... :tazz: