Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop windows 10 update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Reotahi

Reotahi

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a new computer and would like to stop the updates as I have limited data I have stopped (Disable Windows Update) in the Services (Local) but this hasn't worked It used 130MB on starting up this am. I am using a usb modem stick

Thanks Duncan

Edited by Reotahi, 27 November 2016 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi :welcome:

Check this http://www.howtogeek...-on-windows-10/

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Duncan, and welcome to our forums

:welcome:

Windows 10 is a very robust operating system, but like all operating systems relies on being kept up to date.

If you try and prevent it from updating itself then you risk destroying the very robustness that keeps you (and others with whom you interact) free from exploits, and malicious code.

Its understandable that you wish to minimise the amount of cost involved in using your data stick, but it should not be at the expense of leaving your operating system "unpatched" and vulnerable to infection, exploits and other undesirable things that the bad people dream up.

Windows updates are really essential if you wish to use your computer on the Internet.....

If you really do not wish to have Windows updates then the most effective and safest way is to immediately disconnect the computer from the Internet and never connect to it again...ever ( not even just for an hour or two.) You should also completely isolate your computer from any external source of data, ie CD's Dvd''s, memory sticks, any USB or other type of gadget plugged in to your computer etc.

Obviously this complete isolation does remove a lot of the functionality that most folks want to use in their computer..... but it will also remove the need for you to top up or use your data card!!

Regards

paws

Reotahi

Reotahi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the info but it didn't seem to work .Maybe it is because I am using a USB Modem Stick Any more ideas would be appreciated Thanks