Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Starts To Black Screen (No Logos)

• Please log in to reply

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I purchased an Acer Aspire E5-473G-51GY in March 2016. I took it to Acer to have new RAM put in it after buying it, so I wouldn't void the warranty by doing it myself. They told me it didn't work. I went ahead and put it in myself in September, and it worked. The problem is now a few months later while watching a YouTube video, my laptop suddenly froze. I did a forced reset with the power button. When the laptop turned on, it just showed a black screen with no option to go to the BIOS menu or any logos, just black. The fan makes noises, but no beep from the motherboard.

I went through basic troubleshooting. Plugging it into an external monitor. Taking out the battery and holding the power button. Taking out the hard drive, which resulted in it turning itself off immediately (I was also able to use it in a different laptop) Normally it will stay on until I press the power button. Then I tried taking out the new RAM. Then I tried leaving the new ram and taking the original one out. Then I tried RAM from a different computer. I tried using different RAM slots. I inspected all the wiring and ports and nothing looks bad expect for very slight discoloration on the motherboard port to the laptop's monitor. But I would assume if that was the issue, the external monitor would have worked because it is a different port. 

After doing this, I googled the issue. I found two tips. One was taking out the CMOS battery, which is possible because it is soldered. I can solder, but I feel like that is still risky unless totally necessary. Another person left theirs on for a while and it sorted itself out somehow. I tried that, but it still hasn't changed anything. 

What other suggestions would you have that I haven't already tried? Taking to Acer isn't necessarily possible now that the warranty has been voided. I'm afraid that will cost way too much.

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 28 November 2016 - 06:45 AM.

Advertisements

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Replace new RAM modules with old RAM modules this way you can ask for assistance from Acer.

Make sure all attached devices are disconnected this includes CD or DVD media.

Have you tried powering on the laptop without HDD connected?

Have you tried powering on the laptop without battery connected?

Have you tried powering on the laptop only battery connected?

We just tried turning it on without the charger plugged in, and it came on. This was also after having turned it off and storing it without the charger over night. If it was removing the charger that fixed it, what would be the underlying issue that would cause that? Should we avoid using the charger for the time being? 

Edit: While using it just now, I right clicked on This PC and the screen went black for about 30 seconds and then came back on. It is not connected to the charger. When we tried to shut down, the screen went black but the harddrive light contiued blinking. We put it away. When we came back the lights were off. We tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't turn on. We plugged in the charger and it still wouldnt turn on. Then after a while it turned on and shut off again aftter a few seconds

Thank you

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 29 November 2016 - 09:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Couple of observations and questions;

I purchased an Acer Aspire E5-473G-51GY in March 2016.

Was the computer out of the box new when you purchased it.

I took it to Acer to have new RAM put in it after buying it, so I wouldn't void the warranty by doing it myself. They told me it didn't work.

Why did Acer say that the RAM wouldn`t work, do you have a link to the new RAM that you fitted so we can check the specs.

We just tried turning it on without the charger plugged in, and it came on

The main battery could be flat. 

We plugged in the charger and it still wouldnt turn on. Then after a while it turned on and shut off again aftter a few seconds

Is the battery charging LED on the front left hand corner of the notebook lit up either amber or blue.

I googled the issue. I found two tips. One was taking out the CMOS battery, which is possible because it is soldered. I can solder, but I feel like that is still risky 

Whoever suggested doing this is a nut and their advice should be totally ignored.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Couple of observations and questions;

I purchased an Acer Aspire E5-473G-51GY in March 2016.

Was the computer out of the box new when you purchased it.

I took it to Acer to have new RAM put in it after buying it, so I wouldn't void the warranty by doing it myself. They told me it didn't work.

Why did Acer say that the RAM wouldn`t work, do you have a link to the new RAM that you fitted so we can check the specs.

We just tried turning it on without the charger plugged in, and it came on

The main battery could be flat. 

We plugged in the charger and it still wouldnt turn on. Then after a while it turned on and shut off again aftter a few seconds

Is the battery charging LED on the front left hand corner of the notebook lit up either amber or blue.

I googled the issue. I found two tips. One was taking out the CMOS battery, which is possible because it is soldered. I can solder, but I feel like that is still risky 

Whoever suggested doing this is a nut and their advice should be totally ignored.

It was new out of the box from the Acer store.

Apparently, the RAM that is in there now and the RAM we took to Acer are different. The one we took to Acer wasn't compatible. I will try to find information about the one we put in.

The LED turns amber initially and then turns blue once it is fully charged.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The AC adapter could be failing and may need replacement.  Battery may have no charge left and this could be the reason its not turning on again.

Even if the charge light is coming on as amber and then blue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
The LED turns amber initially and then turns blue once it is fully charged.

The AC adapter could be failing and may need replacement.  Battery may have no charge left and this could be the reason its not turning on again.

Even if the charge light is coming on as amber and then blue?

Nothing wrong with the battery or charger if the LED goes amber when charging and blue when fully charged.

Apparently, the RAM that is in there now and the RAM we took to Acer are different. The one we took to Acer wasn't compatible. I will try to find information about the one we put in.

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that the RAM you fitted has damaged the computer, RAM either works or it doesn`t and normally the only way of damaging anything RAM wise is by forcing the wrong type of RAM module into the slot/s, the only other scenario would be using the wrong voltage RAM over a long period of time, this is why we need the specs of the RAM that you swapped in.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Not heard back from you Cyprianophobia , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Not heard back from you Cyprianophobia , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have been busy with finals. Thank you for checking up. Here are the details on the RAM we used. It is Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4. We chose it because we read the laptop requires lower voltage PC3L RAM.

Another update on the laptop is we left it charging until it had an amber light. We left it unplugged overnight and tried turning it on. It wouldn't turn on until we plugged it into the charger again. So something is causing it to completely drain from a full charge while turned off. 

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 08 December 2016 - 07:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
I purchased an Acer Aspire E5-473G-51GY in March 2016. I took it to Acer to have new RAM put in it after buying it, so I wouldn't void the warranty by doing it myself. They told me it didn't work. I went ahead and put it in myself in September, and it worked. The problem is now a few months later while watching a YouTube video, my laptop suddenly froze.

Checked the specs of the Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4 RAM and if this is exactly what you have used in your computer I have no idea why ACER said it was incompatible, it has the same number of pins (204) has the same CAS latency, is the correct 1.35V and is the same NON-ECC type required by your notebook, with this in mind I can only refer you back to my reply #8

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that the RAM you fitted has damaged the computer, RAM either works or it doesn`t and normally the only way of damaging anything RAM wise is by forcing the wrong type of RAM module into the slot/s, the only other scenario would be using the wrong voltage RAM over a long period of time, this is why we need the specs of the RAM that you swapped in.

Sorry but I am confused by the following so have needed to break the info down;

Another update on the laptop is we left it charging until it had an amber light. We left it unplugged overnight and tried turning it on. It wouldn't turn on until we plugged it into the charger again. So something is causing it to completely drain from a full charge while turned off. 

Another update on the laptop is we left it charging until it had an amber light.

The amber light only means that the AC adapter and battery are both detected and that an attempt to charge the battery is being made, it does not mean that the battery is actually charging up or is holding any charge at all, only a blue LED will confirm either, regardless of this the notebook should power up when the AC adapter is in use.

We left it unplugged overnight and tried turning it on.

Did you have an amber or blue LED on the notebook in the morning.

It wouldn't turn on until we plugged it into the charger again. 

Please explain what you mean by "It wouldn't turn on" 

So something is causing it to completely drain from a full charge while turned off. 

A system short being the most likely, need to wait on the answers to the above for now but needing to return the notebook is looking likely, possible causes atm are 1: A faulty internal battery which should be covered by warranty. 2: A system short caused when installing the new RAM or any other possible tinkering, not covered by warranty.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sorry. I had it reversed. We plugged it in and the amber light came on the left it charging until it was blue. Then we had unplugged it and left it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. When we plugged it in it was amber again. By turning on, I mean the screen is completely black except for the back light is on. The fans turn on and so does the hard drive light. By off I mean holding the shutdown button until the monitor back light, the fans, and the blue indicator lights turn off again. 

"1: A faulty internal battery which should be covered by warranty. 2: A system short caused when installing the new RAM or any other possible tinkering, not covered by warranty."

We hadn't opened and messed with the inside since September. Would there be that much of a latency in seeing the effects of this? It was running fine until it froze while watching a YouTube video and we had to restart.

And if it was the battery, shouldn't it still turn on when it is plugged in and the battery light has turned blue? Also would this cause the issue where the monitor is black with the back lights on?

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 09 December 2016 - 07:39 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Makes sense now  :thumbsup:

Will break down your reply again, makes things easier to explain;

Sorry. I had it reversed. We plugged it in and the amber light came on the left it charging until it was blue. Then we had unplugged it and left it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. When we plugged it in it was amber again.

Two things that can cause power drain, a system short and a faulty internal battery.

Have you tried pressing the internal battery reset button, with the AC adapter removed and the notebook not powered up, on the base of the notebook you should see a small circular hole, straighten out a paperclip, insert it into the hole until you feel it make contact with the reset button then gently press it for a few seconds, check for any change.

By turning on, I mean the screen is completely black except for the back light is on. The fans turn on and so does the hard drive light.

This behaviour makes a system short less likely as the computer if it did start up would completely shut down as soon as the electrical circuit was broken by the short in the circuit.

You mention trying an external display in your OP, can I just confirm that when you tried this that you pressed the Fn and the F5 keys down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

We hadn't opened and messed with the inside since September. Would there be that much of a latency in seeing the effects of this? It was running fine until it froze while watching a YouTube video and we had to restart.

Now we know the computer will stay on but with no display it sounds more like a video problem, apart from the display being toggled to external mode you are looking at a couple of possible scenarios, a failed MB (this includes the NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU) and a failed CPU, freezing is mostly caused by overheating something that your model of notebook is known for as is it`s poor display, see review here

If resetting the battery and toggling the display make no difference I suggest you insert the original RAM and return the notebook under warranty and have Acer find out what is wrong with the notebook.

The only grey area is the fact that Acer said that your Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4 was incompatible but you used it anyway, I see nothing wrong with the RAM and you know that it worked but don`t be surprised if Acer try and deny any warranty claim because of the RAMs use.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sorry. I had it reversed. We plugged it in and the amber light came on the left it charging until it was blue. Then we had unplugged it and left it overnight and it wouldn't turn on. When we plugged it in it was amber again.

Two things that can cause power drain, a system short and a faulty internal battery.

Have you tried pressing the internal battery reset button, with the AC adapter removed and the notebook not powered up, on the base of the notebook you should see a small circular hole, straighten out a paperclip, insert it into the hole until you feel it make contact with the reset button then gently press it for a few seconds, check for any change.

By turning on, I mean the screen is completely black except for the back light is on. The fans turn on and so does the hard drive light.

This behaviour makes a system short less likely as the computer if it did start up would completely shut down as soon as the electrical circuit was broken by the short in the circuit.

You mention trying an external display in your OP, can I just confirm that when you tried this that you pressed the Fn and the F5 keys down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

Now we know the computer will stay on but with no display it sounds more like a video problem, apart from the display being toggled to external mode you are looking at a couple of possible scenarios, a failed MB (this includes the NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU) and a failed CPU, freezing is mostly caused by overheating something that your model of notebook is known for as is it`s poor display, see review here

If resetting the battery and toggling the display make no difference I suggest you insert the original RAM and return the notebook under warranty and have Acer find out what is wrong with the notebook.

The only grey area is the fact that Acer said that your Samsung 4GB 1RX8 PC3L-128000S-11-12-B4 was incompatible but you used it anyway, I see nothing wrong with the RAM and you know that it worked but don`t be surprised if Acer try and deny any warranty claim because of the RAMs use.

Yes, we tried toggling the display when plugged into the external monitor.

Resetting the internal battery is what I mentioned in the initial post. There isn't any way to remove the battery (soldered in) and no button that I can see. There is a switch that says BATT ON/OFF. Would that be it? 

It's starting to look more and more like we should just take it in to Acer. I'm just worried it won't be covered by warranty since we don't have the "Do Not Remove Sticker anymore." 

Will update later on how this all goes.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Please do not quote every reply, there is no need or benefit to be gained only unnecessary reading on our behalf  :(

Not looking good atm, MB or CPU failure looking likely, fwiw MBs are more prone to failure than the CPU and in the case of notebooks a user replacing the MB is not a financially viable option.

Was aware of the content of your OP, you will forgive me for not realising that by the following you meant that you had tried resetting the battery by using the reset button;

After doing this, I googled the issue. I found two tips. One was taking out the CMOS battery, which is possible because it is soldered. I

Where was the "Do Not Remove Sticker" placed on the notebook and who removed it.

Edit to add: Not even getting the Acer splash screen suggests that this is a major issue but can you try tapping the Tab key when you next power up the notebook, some brands use the Tab key to disable the BIOS splash screen.

Cyprianophobia

Cyprianophobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The stick is on the bottom of the laptop covering the screw holes. The sticker was falling off by itself, so we decided to just push it back to take the screw out and try the RAM ourselves because it didn't make sense that the RAM wouldn't be compatible with the laptop and it looked like the warranty was already voided by that sticker peeling off. 

We found the reset button. Pressing it didn't change anything. Still same results as before.

Edited by Cyprianophobia, 10 December 2016 - 06:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Did Acer remove the sticker when you took the notebook in for them to upgrade your RAM.

Did you try the Tab key on restart.

Just so that you are aware, upgrading your RAM  with the correct spec will not normally void the warranty, exceptions are 1: If you damage something when upgrading. 2: The upgrade involves a partial dismantle such as removing the keyboard and track pad etc.