Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB PCI-E Cards, with or without power connections? Features?

• Please log in to reply

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to replace my old 2.0 USB PCI cards with the PCI-E 3.0 ones. What would you recommend on which one to get? Either the one that has no additional power connection or with? If the power one is the one then what would be the reason to get that one over the one with no power for example?

Also, what features should I be looking for in a card as well or any info you can give to help me make an informed decision? Thank you!

NO ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.c...s=inateck pci-e

WITH ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.c...s=inateck pci-e

https://www.amazon.c...=I1K4258492W2W6

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

Edited by JoyfulNoise, 29 November 2016 - 03:45 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,614 posts

Joyful,

I would go with option 2,

Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector

This would give you the most flexibility.  The first and third options doesn't  provide power, which some external devices require.  For example connecting an external hard drive.  It also doesn't provide the option of connecting case headers. 

I have a similar card to option 2.  I connect an external hard drive for data backups and use the usb header to connect my 3.0 ports on my case as my Motherboard didn't come with the required connectivity.

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Joyful,

I would go with option 2,

Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector

This would give you the most flexibility.  The first and third options doesn't  provide power, which some external devices require.  For example connecting an external hard drive.  It also doesn't provide the option of connecting case headers. 

I have a similar card to option 2.  I connect an external hard drive for data backups and use the usb header to connect my 3.0 ports on my case as my Motherboard didn't come with the required connectivity.

Hey starjax...Thank you very much for your response, time and assistance.

Quick clarification here. If I am mistaken I apologize, but I looked at option 3 and it says it has power. 15 pin SATA Power Connector to power USB devices from your PC power supply.  Also, option 3 has this feature as well: Energy Saver: Support LPM, Low Energy Consumption. Not sure if this makes a difference or not.

https://www.amazon.c...=I1K4258492W2W6

If I am right about option 3 and I know you mentioned that It also doesn't provide the option of connecting case headers, would you still go with option 2?  Can you explain just bit more about it not providing the option of connecting case headers?

Thank you!

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Anyone else, because I still need assistance. Thank you!