Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Occasional BSOD VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

- - - - -

Best Answer HolyCowZ , 27 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

UPDATE + SOLVED:I found the cause in the end. It was caused by  a failing GPU. Funny thing is it passed all the bench mark tests. I had to play a gpu intensive game to see the tell t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I Occasionally once a week maybe sometimes less a BSOD -- Cause ---> VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Its an old machine, saying that I have researched it online and many more have this problem and I have tried all the suggestion's updating the GPU with a totally clean install rolled back to an old version.

Does anyone know if there is a fix I have looked on Nividia site nothing and Microsoft again nothing. Both suggest either a roll back didn't work or a clean install again didn't work.

Any fix would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

TDR is the Timeout, Detection, and Recovery component in Windows. What happens is the Graphics Display driver for the installed graphics card stops responding. When this happens, windows will stop and restart the driver to fix the problem. Make sure graphic card is not overheating. Make sure you are using the latest graphics device driver. You can download latest driver from Nividia website.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Freebooter and thank you for the advice :)

I did all that you suggested a few times weeks ago. Before posting hereI did research the problem and it seems that many people with Nividia on windows 10 get the same problem. It works fine with linux or 7 or vista just not 10.

It's not debilitating as it's an old pc and only happens once a week if that but would like to find and solve it with a fix.

Thank you

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

You are very welcome!

You can install Windows 7 graphics card driver see that will resolve your issue.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

That's something I didn't try I'll give that a go thanks.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

You are very welcome, keeps us up to date with result please!

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Ok it may take a while as it sometimes may not happen for a week or more.

thank you freebooter :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Installed so far so good no problems.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

We are glad to hear issue may have been resolved if anymore problems let us know please!

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It can be a week or a little longer between the screens so fingers crossed it might work being win 7 driver? lol no problems yet though thank you for the suggestion. 

I will let you know if it remains stable.

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

:thumbsup:

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Came back today was running some scans when I got the bsod again with the same message nothing gpu intensive at all. Lots have this problem with 10 and Nividia cards of certain types. I can only imagine it has something to do with windows 10 it doesn't do it on 7 or vista or linux.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Can you zip and upload the BSOD memory dump files please. The BSOD memory dump files store at C:\Windows\MiniDump folder.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Sure thing I will do it first thing in the morning thank you.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

You are very welcome!