Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Occasional BSOD VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

- - - - -

Best Answer HolyCowZ , 27 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

UPDATE + SOLVED:I found the cause in the end. It was caused by  a failing GPU. Funny thing is it passed all the bench mark tests. I had to play a gpu intensive game to see the tell t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I Occasionally once a week maybe sometimes less a BSOD -- Cause ---> VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Its an old machine, saying that I have researched it online and many more have this problem and I have tried all the suggestion's updating the GPU with a totally clean install rolled back to an old version.

Does anyone know if there is a fix I have looked on Nividia site nothing and Microsoft again nothing. Both suggest either a roll back didn't work or a clean install again didn't work.

Any fix would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Freebooter and thank you for the advice :)

I did all that you suggested a few times weeks ago. Before posting hereI did research the problem and it seems that many people with Nividia on windows 10 get the same problem. It works fine with linux or 7 or vista just not 10.

It's not debilitating as it's an old pc and only happens once a week if that but would like to find and solve it with a fix.

Thank you

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

That's something I didn't try I'll give that a go thanks.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Ok it may take a while as it sometimes may not happen for a week or more.

thank you freebooter :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Installed so far so good no problems.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It can be a week or a little longer between the screens so fingers crossed it might work being win 7 driver? lol no problems yet though thank you for the suggestion. 

I will let you know if it remains stable.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Came back today was running some scans when I got the bsod again with the same message nothing gpu intensive at all. Lots have this problem with 10 and Nividia cards of certain types. I can only imagine it has something to do with windows 10 it doesn't do it on 7 or vista or linux.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Sure thing I will do it first thing in the morning thank you.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It's empty in this folder I think ccleaner has cleaned it by accident. What tab do I uncheck in ccleaner so it doesn't do it again is it memory dumps?

This morning after seeing it was empty I reinstalled the win 10 driver and then checked in

device manager/displayadapters/Mividia geforce 9600 gt/properties/events

and it says
Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_104319DA&REV_A1\4&15f80c0a&0&0018 requires further installation.

I thought this is a bit odd as I downloaded the latest driver from nividia and did a full install of the cards driver.
The history also lists previous driver installations with the same further instillation needed message, sorry i over looked this before.
Thank you for your help Freebooter.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Here's the .dmp file had to zip it it wouldn't post without. It kept saying file type not allowed or something similar. 

Thank you

Attached Files

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I've not overclocked anything.

I did a clean install and removed the old driver before installing the windows 10 version back from the Nividia site.

Can't imagine it's an overheating problem as it doesn't do this when using vista, windows 7 or linux on this machine. It has only ever done it on windows 10.

I will monitor it though.

The fans inside are clear of dust and the GPU is also clear.

Thanks

Edit 45 mins later stressed the gpu running a game, video, browser and a few applications with active gui's at the same time it went from 36C to 37C and for a tiny amount of time 38C all blue arrows going down which I am assuming is cold and good.

The pc has also been on all day since 7 this morning so it would have been a normal temp before I began the test should I keep testing? Not sure what to do as I have never used speed fan and can't find much about it to do with gpu heat test. Looked at how to use it on you tube but they all seem to be about ajusting fan speed. 

sorry for the non technical terms

Thank you

Edit 2 I have just done patch Tuesdays updates and in them was a Nividia update so I'll give it a few days to see if this recent update will fix things if that's ok?

Edited by HolyCowZ, 14 December 2016 - 10:06 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I have run speed fan for hours now non stop and had a video or music playing while I gamed it's been a hard stress test and it never went above 39c so I guess it isn't overheating.

I hope the update whatever it is does the trick to seems to have installed a lot of other nividia stuff to 3d vision some 3d photo thing physx software and update 10. something along with a new driver. 

Thank you very much for your help :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
✓  Best Answer

UPDATE + SOLVED:I found the cause in the end. It was caused by  a failing GPU. Funny thing is it passed all the bench mark tests. I had to play a gpu intensive game to see the tell tale signs textures not showing replaced now and again by one colour and the stuttering when things got to intensive.