Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New SSD - OS removal from HDD (Solved)

Best Answer sierrahotel , 25 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

I've downloaded the OS onto the SSD and formatted the HDD. I guess that's it for this topic. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

See if there is a later BIOS version than the one you have installed.

Advertisements

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

This link here shows a BIOS dated 7/23/2013 Version 4105 which is after I purchased the PC. There are also other updates here like the chipset and maybe the VGA which have later dates. I read somewhere about downloading the latest update and then flashing. What is flashing? EZ Flash 2?

So to update the BIOS, I would only be able to do that in Windows correct? I would have to disconnect the SSD and swap the SATA for the HDD to SATA_6gb1 and run the PC to update it. Or maybe flash means USB and I can update it that way while still boosting from the SSD?

Edited by sierrahotel, 19 December 2016 - 04:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, swap the drives and boot to windows to make sure it does work, (SSD left disconnected)

Watch the video, note, be patient, as instructed.

You will update chipset drivers, and the rest, after installing the OS to the SSD.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok I just updated the BIOS to version 4105. That video was super helpful. I didn't have the screen come up that caused him to push F1 and check things over. The only issue I ran into was a flash drive that was NFTS instead of FAT32. Simple reformat and good to go.

Am I back to the MB to GPT and OS install on SSD step? So with this new updated BIOS driver, I guess I will look to see if it is CSM and SB compatible?

Edited by sierrahotel, 20 December 2016 - 06:58 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Congrats.

Please do the following, just a check.

Power on and enter the BIOS, > go to the exit menu, > select, Load Defaults setting and press enter, > confirm.

Allow the Desktop to fully load then, > Restart and enter the BIOS, > go to the Boot screen, > click on PCI ROM Priority.

If you still have the same options as in the screenshot, >  https://communities....82/DSCF5295.JPG

> select, EFI Comparability ROM, > press enter, > go to the exit menu, > select, Save Settings and Exit, > Confirm. 

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Alright, check. :thumbsup:

After loading the optimized defaults the PC did not go to the desktop and instead restarted after I saved and exited. So I entered the BIOS again and continued. Legacy was listed and I changed it to EFI Compatible ROM. Upon saving and exiting it ran through its updates.

My computer is in need of an SSD as start-up times are slow. Where it really takes time is at the desktop. I've made sure there are very few programs running at start-up. To give you an idea of how slow, it took about 10 minutes for Firefox to load. It then briefly became "not responding."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
After loading the optimized defaults the PC did not go to the desktop and instead restarted after I saved and exited. 

Just checking something here and possibly it is nothing untoward, do you not have a "load fail safe"  "most stable" or "factory default" settings option in the BIOS, "optimized" settings are normally a form of overclocking that most often makes a computer unstable and I cannot recall ever seeing an "optimized defaults" option.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I did not see "load fail safe"  "most stable" or "factory default." Here are some screen shots.

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

IMG_2331.JPG

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday sierrahotel.

Sorry for the lack of response.   I am going to be away for a while and am asking Phillpower2 to give you some help.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

No worries, thanks for your help. Enjoy the holidays!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello sierrahotel,

Be glad to help out but as post in your other thread here we need to put one of your threads on hold while we address the other, this will avoid any possible confusion as to what we are trying to achieve in either thread.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
✓  Best Answer

I've downloaded the OS onto the SSD and formatted the HDD. I guess that's it for this topic.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Great news sierrahotel and thank you for letting us know that all is now well with the SSD and clean install  :thumbsup: