Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on distro to replace Windows XP, please.

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry to alarm you it's just i have a bad memory so didn't remember the pc being over 10 years old for some reason i thought it was at least 5 years newer with a multi core cpu (mines 8 years old with quad core cpu.), so yes to be honest your pc/cpu is a bit old for a quicker experience running a vm. would have been better if it was at least a dual core cpu.

i'm not annoyed about you going on about the clone (you can go on about anything you like for as long as you like.  :P ) and THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING IT IN YOUR PC.

so don't be sensitive about it, like you've said you learned a lot and it's given you great peace of mind and come in useful a few time when you've had problems.

main thing you need to understand is what exactly is the clone for?

is it for redundancy if the first drive failed? or is it a backup of the os in case of malware?

for redundancy it works fine, as a backup of the os against malware though then no it is not any good for reasons previously stated.

remember there is no right or wrong way to do a lot of things just different and different does not mean wrong. ;)

do i think phil would give the same advice today, then probably not (not asked him though.) because i'd think he'd suggest using an image on the external as backup with small drive having the cloned os and the larger drive for data as he originally planned (losing redundancy but having a better/safer backup solution of the os.), that still doesn't make his previous advice wrong though. :spoton:

:popcorn:

link you might find useful explaining redundancy vs backup :- https://www.cnet.com...-vs-redundancy/

Edited by terry1966, 24 March 2017 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Terry,

Apologies for delay in replying: I seem to be exceptionally tired all the time at the moment! :(

sorry to alarm you it's just i have a bad memory so didn't remember the pc being over 10 years old for some reason i thought it was at least 5 years newer with a multi core cpu (mines 8 years old with quad core cpu.), so yes to be honest your pc/cpu is a bit old for a quicker experience running a vm. would have been better if it was at least a dual core cpu.

Okay. It's good that we finally sorted out the reason why things were not running well for me in the VM :thumbsup:

i'm not annoyed about you going on about the clone (you can go on about anything you like for as long as you like.  :P ) and THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING IT IN YOUR PC.

so don't be sensitive about it, like you've said you learned a lot and it's given you great peace of mind and come in useful a few time when you've had problems.

Thank you! I will see what else I can think up to rant about! :)

main thing you need to understand is what exactly is the clone for?

is it for redundancy if the first drive failed? or is it a backup of the os in case of malware?

for redundancy it works fine, as a backup of the os against malware though then no it is not any good for reasons previously stated.

I have never actually really thought of the clone as either redundancy or back-up. I have always kept any back-up I felt I needed on my external drive. It has been great having the data on the second drive, but for a long while I never thought much about why the clone was there. It was just there! :) What mattered to me was that I finally managed to complete the tasks and that everything was, as a result, running so much better. As I said previously though, the clone has come in very useful on more than one occasion, if only as an alternative location on which to use the internet when the smaller drive has had problems.

remember there is no right or wrong way to do a lot of things just different and different does not mean wrong. ;)

do i think phil would give the same advice today, then probably not (not asked him though.) because i'd think he'd suggest using an image on the external as backup with small drive having the cloned os and the larger drive for data as he originally planned (losing redundancy but having a better/safer backup solution of the os.), that still doesn't make his previous advice wrong though. :spoton:

I already knew about making images back in 2014, so was surprised he didn't recommened one then. I already had one on my external drive then - but I am not sure he ever realised that it was an image, possibly because it was created with my Acronis program and not Macrium. I tend to think that the reason he wanted me to have an OS on both drives was because he somehow seemed to think that it was then going to be possible to swap the larger Drive C with the smaller D Drive just by renaming the drive letters. I was never really sure that was going to be possible, but I think he was trying to avoid making me have to switch the leads over inside the computer, as it was only right at the very end that he told me how to go about switching them. It was easy from then on! :)

Thank you very much for all your help. Hopefully I will have a nice long period without having to solve any computer problems now  - and can leave you guys on here free from all my rantings for a time! :lol:

Chris. :rockon:

Edited by Channeal, 28 March 2017 - 12:46 PM.